Problems with next door cat and our dog.

(18 Posts)
80sbabe Mon 15-Apr-13 11:36:06

We have 3 cats and a dog (a terrier), our dog loves his cats but if he finds any not belonging to him on his property he swiftly chases them off.

Our next door neighbours have a cat that will occasionally come into our house through our cat / small dog flap at night.When our dog realises there is an intruder he charges off and the offender is removed back through the flap.
However at 3am this morning we were woken up by a screeching, barking racket and found next door's cat stuck halfway between the bannister spindles with our dog tearing chunks of hair out of it's tail. The cat must have come upstairs been found by the dog and got trapped trying to escape.

I called the dog off but the cat was stuck firm and my DH had to remove a spindle to free it. Once rescued though, the cat wouldn't leave our house - we had expected it to run downstairs and out through the flap, but it stayed put. DH tried to gently encourage it through the flap but it spread it's legs out and scratched him.
DH put it outside the front door and it promptly came back in again. Not the sort of game any of us enjoy in the early hours of the morning.

Our only solution was to lock the cat flap, which we did, but this seems unfair on our cats and dog who are used to coming and going as they please. We can't use the sensor collars and flaps as two of our cats refuse to wear them and promptly remove and lose any accessories put on them.
I am concerned for the well being of next door's cat if it gets trapped again - this time it was lucky and just lost a few clumps of fur, next time it might not get away so lightly. Our dog was really meaning business this morning when we first got to him.

I don't understand why it came back in either, surely it had received a big enough fright to go home and stay away ?
Our neighbours won't keep their cat in at night despite knowing that it does sometimes come into ours and that our dog doesn't like it.

Is there anything we can do to dissuade it in future while not inconveniencing our own pets ? I don't want to end up receiving a large vet's bill should this cat need treatment after one of it's visits.
Btw our dog isn't usually savage - he co-sleeps with his own cats, has never bitten or been aggressive to anyone and is well trained (he obeyed me instantly when called off this morning) but he really hates this other cat invading our home.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what we can do ?

Branleuse Mon 15-Apr-13 11:50:55

how about one of those magnetised cat flaps with your cats having the special collars?

CrazyOldCatLady Mon 15-Apr-13 11:52:43

Honestly, I'd just lock the cat flap at night. Your lot will get used to it and I don't see a more convenient way around it.

SoupDragon Mon 15-Apr-13 11:55:26

Microchip your cats & dog and get one of the cat flaps that reads the chip.

Expensive, but no collar required.

80sbabe Mon 15-Apr-13 12:10:04

Thank you so much Soupdragon - I'd never heard of them before but have googled and they look perfect.
All pets are already microchipped so that's no problem, I have ordered a new flap and hopefully it will be problem solved in a day or two.

cozietoesie Mon 15-Apr-13 12:10:06

Yep - microchip cat flap. Sureflap is the one that most posters recommend and you shouldn't look back.

The cat may be used to 'ordinary' dogs (great flubbly muts) and not realize that terriers are a whole different ball game so you do need to take action on this.

Good luck.

cozietoesie Mon 15-Apr-13 12:10:39

x post. Well done - should be sorted soon.

SoupDragon Mon 15-Apr-13 12:14:40

The only reason I don't have a microchip cat flap is that the chip has failed in one of my cats and I've never got round to having a new one put in.

cozietoesie Mon 15-Apr-13 12:16:22

Off to the vet with them then, SoupDragon.

smile

SoupDragon Mon 15-Apr-13 12:21:18

Or not - I've just seen you can buy collar tags too. smile

Although Teeny Cat doesn't have a collar on either now I think of it!

80sbabe Mon 15-Apr-13 12:33:23

cozietoesie you may be right that this cat is used to dogs somewhere in it's past - my neighbour got it as an adult rescue not as a kitten.
However, after numerous run ins and close shaves with our dog (before this morning's events) wouldn't you think it might learn ? confused

cozietoesie Mon 15-Apr-13 14:41:50

You'd think so - but some cats are (whisper it) 'Not Too Bright'.

cazboldy Mon 15-Apr-13 14:46:41

have you told your neighbour what happened?

You seem very nice, worrying about vet bills and all...... if it was me i would explain what happened and tell them that if they continue to let their cat wander around at night (and into your house) then i would not be responsible for what happens to it!

Poor Moggy..... but you can't blame the dog either

cozietoesie Mon 15-Apr-13 14:50:51

The chip flap should sort it all out. Remember that it might not be your neighbour's cat that comes calling one moonlit night. Any passing feline could decide to try their luck with resultant trouble. A chip flap will prevent intruders generally.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 15-Apr-13 20:08:09

Soup you are aware that chips have a lifetime guaranteed so the chip manufacturer should a cover a new one to implanted for free. Contact the manufacturer direct to talk them about this, but I have been involved where they have cover retrieval of old chip implantation of new chip and quarantine fees whilst identity was confirmed.
Sureflap is brilliant recommend it to all my clients.

cozietoesie Mon 15-Apr-13 20:19:28

Is that all UK manufacturers, Lone?

80sbabe Fri 26-Apr-13 22:24:43

Just wanted to pop back and say that our new flap has been installed for over a week now and we have had no unwelcome visitors since.
Thanks for the great advice it really does work a treat.

cozietoesie Fri 26-Apr-13 22:28:27

Excellent news. Glad it worked out.

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now