Cat suddenly wont stop eating and trying to steal food/lick plates.

(73 Posts)

I have no idea what is going on with him, he's always been mad for treats (which we rarely give) but in the past month or 2 he wont stop eating and begging.

He mostly leaves the food that's in his bowl though but will happily eat the other 2 cats food, he opens the cupboard and rips open packets of food , we've caught him licking plates and tins and he is constantly begging.

He's quite thin (not underweight though), he became an outdoor cat about 9 months ago and lost some weight then.

He's driving us nuts but I have no idea what could be going on.

QueenOfCats Fri 12-Apr-13 15:56:24

Worms?

pansyflimflam Fri 12-Apr-13 15:59:05

Thyroid?

He's been wormed regularly and no worms in poo, I would have thought the other 2 would have got it as well if it was that?

Sparklingbrook Fri 12-Apr-13 16:00:23

Sounds like it could be an overactive thyroid.

Hadn't thought of thyroid actually but he doesn't seem bothered by his own food, just every other item of food.

We've even caught him eating stuff like sour cream and curry. confused Not normal cat foods anyway.

Lucyellensmum95 Fri 12-Apr-13 16:01:52

is he quite skittish? how is his fur?doesitlooka bit spikey? i'd get his thyroid checked

Behaviour wise, he's normal. He's a very active cat and is always on the go, very confident. His fur is normal and smooth.

cozietoesie Fri 12-Apr-13 16:05:10

I'd have him to the vet, OP. Just for a check up.

I think I will, I really didn't think it would be a vet issue, I thought it was just a behavioural thing.

vitaminC Fri 12-Apr-13 16:09:41

How old is he?
Has he been drinking more than usual, too, or just eating?

I would also take me to the vet, as if he's craving sweet things and losing weight whilst eating more, it could be diabetes (or a thyroid problem as other posters have mentioned)!

cozietoesie Fri 12-Apr-13 16:13:00

Well there's the thing, Schro. Very often, changes in behaviour are a clue as to something not quite right with the cat. You get to know them so well that if they start behaving differently in some significant and unexplained way (pooing, eating, interacting, you name it) then that's something that vets, in my experience, take pretty seriously.

ppeatfruit Fri 12-Apr-13 16:14:44

shrosaw Our cat did just the same when she was eating the normal cat biscuits with wheat|cereal in. We started giving her the felix no cereal pouch food and she calmed right down and is normal now grin try it. No visit to vet needed.

cozietoesie Fri 12-Apr-13 16:14:59

PS - of course he could be absolutely fine and just a little imp!

wink

But at least you'll have reassured yourself as to that.

I agree with thyroid, one if our cats had an increased appetite (although lost weight) and urinated more (has that happened?) and also had an increased heart rate. It was hyperthyroidism and we gave him medication from the vet.

Maryz Fri 12-Apr-13 16:23:52

He's gone mad. It comes with age [sigh]

<glares at mad cat who is currently frantically trying to open the kitchen door and yowling, despite having full bowl of catfood>

<glares even harder at fatcat who has eaten his own and madcat's food for the last couple of months and is now round>

They have been to the vet, and apart from fatcat being overweight (no surprise there, he is 17 and takes no exercise) they are apparently both healthy.

cozietoesie Fri 12-Apr-13 16:26:52

But at least you know that now, Maryz.

smile

ppeatfruit Fri 12-Apr-13 16:27:23

As I said stop feeding him cereal, we also have a stray who was going bald and arthritic we stopped the cereal and lo and behold he's now fine all his hair has grown back and he's stopped limping (no vet visit) it can't be a coincidence can it?

He's 6, so not too old yet. smile

Not drinking or weeing more, just being a weird food gannit.

I will take him to the vet though, am just checking insurance policy just in case! (and got a lovely surprise that I have £70 cashback from taking out said insurance policy) grin

Maryz My actual fat cat barely eats, he just walks away from his bowl unless it's dry food and even when it is he hardly eats much, he's just massive though and always has been. hmm

Ppeat They all get both mixed and dry and they get to just pick and choose. <spoilt>

Cozie Admittedly I hadn't really thought of this being a medical issue but I will take him to the vets as soon as I can to see about this.

He doesn't really eat much of the dry stuff as it is, mostly just his and the others soft stuff but will nick the dry stuff from the cupboard. hmm

cozietoesie Fri 12-Apr-13 16:34:27

6 is just a stripling!

It might well be purely behavioural - or as ppeat said - but if you have insurance, why not use it to reassure yourself.

smile

Well done on the £70.

I think I will. smile Glad I have the insurance now!

Thanks for the advice.

Maryz Fri 12-Apr-13 16:39:47

Oh, yes cozie, I agree with younger cats it is always worth checking odd behaviour. Madcat is only 8, and I almost wish there was something wrong with him because I seriously think he is losing his mind.

But I have decided that I'm not taking fatcat to the vet any more though, as visits to the vet really distress him. Last time she did a few blood tests, admired his size and glossy coat and marvelled at his age.

She then wanted to do all sorts of extra things - put him on a special diet, encourage him to go out more, investigate the wart-like things he's got in his ears (that he has had for years), investigate his hearing, clean his teeth, etc etc.

I said no. He has had a happy, healthy, long life full of freedom and chasing mice. He can die of old age now, if necessary. I'm not ever going to let her admit him for serious treatment, as he hates cages and vet smells so much.

Mine are both on a special non-allergenic food now, as madcat is allergic to commercial catfood, which might contribute to his weird behaviour.

If opyou have insurance, then yes, go check it out. Better safe than sorry! Normally it's older cats with thyroid problems (ours, for example, was nineteen!) and if it's younger it might well just be behavioural.

cozietoesie Fri 12-Apr-13 16:48:11

My vet just admires Seniorboy (which is OK by me) and we're both of a mind that while some things are needed (he had a full dental at 16 because his teeth were just 'orrible) there's not going to be any heroic treatment now. At 18, he can luxuriate on his electric blanket all day and enjoy life.

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now