can cats tell if you are ill or upset

(22 Posts)
dingit Fri 05-Apr-13 17:51:25

is someone is poorly, she makes a bee-line for that person (although a warm duvet or blanket may have a little to with it?)
i have been feeling very down this week, and she is snoring on my lap, bless her. hence one handed typining!

cozietoesie Fri 05-Apr-13 17:58:22

I think they can tell if you're out of sorts for some reason.

(Sorry to hear you're down - hope things improve.)

HeathRobinson Fri 05-Apr-13 18:00:55

My part-siamese could tell when I was upset. He always came over to buff my face.

Chin up. brew

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Fri 05-Apr-13 18:06:01

I think they can.
PantryCat1 died a few weeks ago, when I was ill this week I missed him dreadfully because on the very rare ocasions I was ill in bed he would join me and pat my face every now and again or groom my hair.
Hope you feel better soon

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Fri 05-Apr-13 18:13:07

well, I have Evil Cat. total psychopath, horrible swine, serious issues considering I've had her from being a kitten and she's lived the life of riley!

however, through my breakdown and subsequent depression she didn't leave my side. once I was better she went back to utter disdain!

throughout my pregnancy she's been my shadow and during the past week, recovering from a c-section, she has not left my side!

so I'd say that yes, they do "know" when something is up!

dingit Fri 05-Apr-13 18:22:01

my no longer with me cat paced the floor with me when i went into labour with my dd14!

Lucyellensmum95 Fri 05-Apr-13 18:25:54

They absolutely can, as can dogs. I had a cantankerous ol' bitch of a cat when i was a child, she never sat with anyone, unless it was me and i was poorly or upset, never tolerated being picked up otherwise

CokeFan Fri 05-Apr-13 18:32:44

Yes. From a cat's point of view, remember that an ill or upset human is much less likely to treat you as the Centre of the Universe and provide you with food on demand all the time. Therefore it is important to monitor you carefully and provide assistance at the first signs of illness or unhappiness.

Or that's what ours did.

gemma4d Fri 05-Apr-13 18:34:47

As a dog lover currently living with a cat, I would say animals absolutely can tell if you are ill - the question is whether a cat would care?

happyherdwick Fri 05-Apr-13 18:36:49

Same here...I had horrid whooping cough a few years ago and my cat(who was normally out and about all day) sat on the bed beside me until I was better!

StuffezLaBouche Fri 05-Apr-13 18:43:37

Yes, yes and yes. I posted on here this week when my boy was castrated and came home really unwell. Well formthelast couple of days I've been sick myself with an aches, vomity cold and he really hasn't left my bed. Maybe I'm just appreciating it more!

cozietoesie Fri 05-Apr-13 18:52:43

Poor StuffezLaBouche and Stuffezcat. Hope he's well now.

Toasttoppers Fri 05-Apr-13 18:54:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GemmaTeller Fri 05-Apr-13 18:55:56

Definately:

not very loving kitten cat stayed in bed with me all day when I had a sicky headache,

fat old cat wouldn't let kitten cat near me (she actually growled at him to get off) when she was cuddled up to me whilst I was on the sofa with a sicky headache,

our previous cat walked all over DH purring really loudly when he was once lying on the bed crying with depression,

our female boxer ran over to me and put her head on me protectively when I once fell when out walking them,

male boxer always comes and sits next to the sofa or puts his head on me if I'm on the sofa with sicky headache.

I have a lot of sicky headaches sad

PistachioTruffle Fri 05-Apr-13 18:59:16

I believe they can. My friendly but not especially 'lap' cat snuggles up to us when we're feeling unwell.

After my father died, she was my constant shadow and companion, always checking on me and showering me with affection, even though DH is normally her chosen human.

StuffezLaBouche Fri 05-Apr-13 19:45:41

Thanks cozie, we are both ok. I would love another morning waking up with placid, engle cat, but suspect we will be back to "accidental" feet in my eye to signal End Of Sleep Time!

I love threads like these, many people think dogs have the monopoly on stuff like tis!

Sunnywithshowers Fri 05-Apr-13 20:26:26

DH and I had a row the other day, the worst we've had in ages.

Sunnycat (age 19) stayed close by me while I was crying.

pigsDOfly Fri 05-Apr-13 20:57:54

Oh yes definitely. My very aloof lady who never sits on the sofa came and sat beside me on the sofa once when I was upset and crying and laid her head on my lap (made me cry even more).

My daughter also said the same about her cats when she was ill recently. One or other stayed with her at all times and when she got out of bed to go to the loo one of the cats would go with her.

That's very cynical of you Cokefan, but I fear you're possibly right.

Iwouldratherbemuckingout Fri 05-Apr-13 22:20:14

Oh absolutely. My 3 boys all had a very acute radar for this, whether physically poorly or emotionally upset. Would end up with a cat duvet. The thing is, my horse is the same if I am upset, I get full on snogs and snuggles from him, and whilst he's a lovely boy, he isn't a sloppy type.

Brings it home tho how much they used to comfort me when I'm on the settee blarting over losing them, and no kitty comfort to be had.

DameDoom Fri 05-Apr-13 23:51:13

Aww - they know alright. Nothing lovelier than a normally quite evil pet moving heaven and earth to make you feel better. My two are wonderful in times of emotional crisis or illness - usually they are less than biddable.

wintertimeisfun Sun 07-Apr-13 16:43:17

tmi but when i have a dodgy tum and am in the bathroom she will ALWAYS scratch at the door and insist on coming in. sometimes she will even jump up and sit on my lap..........love her to bits smile

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 07-Apr-13 19:11:17

I have been in bed with flu all weekend, feeling like shite. I have had the Paw of Sympathy - one at my feet, patting my leg from time to time, and the other curled up next to me on DH's pillow purring and giving me Pussy Smiles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now