Cat's hurt his leg, vets shut help!!

(26 Posts)
nailak Fri 29-Mar-13 15:29:48

What do I do,

cat is limping, front right paw seems painful, he is not putting weight on it, i dont think it is broken as when i touch it he doesnt scream, there is a little blood on his knee, but not much, but he is defo in pain.

So I did a quick google and quickly realises I must not ever give paracetamol to a cat.

So what do I do? Just leave it?

toomuch2young Fri 29-Mar-13 15:33:47

Your vets will offer an out of hours service, and when you ring them will provide you details of how to access this service so please give them a call. Hope it's nothing serious and your cat is better soon.

Samvet Fri 29-Mar-13 15:37:13

You will have nothing at home you can give him. If he is not distressed you could keep him in and go to vets in am but if very sore and distressed then use the out if hours service that all vets provide. The number should be on their answer machine.

Erm no, you don't just leave it
Your cat is in pain and needs you to help him

You call around again and again until you find a vet that is open

GemmaTeller Fri 29-Mar-13 15:44:23

Is the cat insured? you should have an emergency number to ring with your insurance paperwork.

Google where the nearest pet hospital is, they won't be closed.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 29-Mar-13 15:45:35

There are lots of us out here working today. Phone the practice and there will either be a message on the answerphone or you will get through to the emergency service. In my practice you get a message saying that the surgery is closed if it is emergency press 1 - then my phone rings.

Pets at homes do vets too. I've had to use them in the past when mine was shut.

You can't leave an animal suffering, for one thing it's against the law.

Sparklingbrook Fri 29-Mar-13 16:11:43

YY to see if you have a local Companion Care vets inside Pets at Home or use your own Vets out of hours service. If he is in pain, do it NOW.

nailak Fri 29-Mar-13 16:13:45

pets at home..ok i will try there.

He is not distressed. He is chilling in the garden. I tried to keep him inside and make bed comfortable for him, but he wasnt having it.

However it does hurt when he walks.

I am guessing Samvet is a vet so she knows what she is talking about.

I've just checked my pets at home vets and they are open over the weekend except Easter Sunday.

nailak Fri 29-Mar-13 16:31:22

i phoned pets at home, they gavee appointment for tomorrow 9.20, is there any advice for what i can do in the mean time? please?

cozietoesie Fri 29-Mar-13 16:38:57

Somebody will have an OOH service. Keep looking.

PlasticLentilWeaver Fri 29-Mar-13 17:08:17

Your normal vet has to, by law, provide an OOH service. It may not be at the same clinic but their phone line should tell you how to contact the provider.

nailak Fri 29-Mar-13 17:44:39

the cat was chilling in the garden, didnt want to come inside, and no has gone walk abouts,

I'm sure he will be back soon.

cozietoesie Fri 29-Mar-13 17:47:56

Get him inside if you can.

nailak Fri 29-Mar-13 19:56:20

He is upstairs now, managed to jump through the window!

cozietoesie Fri 29-Mar-13 21:59:21

OK. Keep him there quietly and off to vet first thing,

lisad123everybodydancenow Fri 29-Mar-13 22:01:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cozietoesie Fri 29-Mar-13 22:05:41

That's as may be, lisa. Read the OP.

nailak Fri 29-Mar-13 22:52:20

thanks lisa the cat is resting now, but still going out and managing to jump about through windows on 3 legs!

cozietoesie Sat 30-Mar-13 00:09:27

Your OP said that he had a little blood on his knee. That's not a pullled muscle. Get him to the vet.

What did the vet say?

nailak Sat 30-Mar-13 16:56:20

change of plan, dh has taken him to Celia Hammond, I am waiting still to see what they say, the vet had to deal with a dog who ate rat poison first sad

nailak Sat 30-Mar-13 18:34:33

sent home with antibs, anti inflammatories, a

Lucyellensmum95 Sat 30-Mar-13 18:37:39

I bet it was a cat bite - i see you have already taken cat to the vets. Best bet really, although it probably could have waited it may have developed into abscess and cost more £££s

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now