Cat missing . what next?

(89 Posts)
dobby2001 Wed 27-Mar-13 00:06:02

One of our cats has been missing since this morning. Its the more timid of the two we have, and she rarely goes out more than an hour at a time. I have been calling her all day, and our other,bolder cat has been out looking for her, as we'll as DD and I going out around the block calling and asking friends to check gardens.

I don't have a good feeling about this. She is easily spooked and has always gone out to our back garden, which backs onto other gardens, has never been near a road. If something has spooked her she could be anywhere,and she is not a vocal cat,so would be unlikely to call out.
Is it worth contacting vets in the morning? Do the council bother to check for microchips if they scoop up cats from the road? Poor DD has been down twice as can't sleep and having tweeted her photo locally, and been out calling her and roaming streets, I am at a loss as to what to do next sad

dobby2001 Wed 10-Apr-13 15:35:38

Hi everyone. Thought you would like an update smile We managed to get to see Florrie last night - it was past visiting hours and the vets is the local "emergency out of hours" centre for the area, but when I rang the nurse took pity on the fact we hadnt actually seen her for 3 weeks and told us to sneak in for 5 minutes grin. Well, it was lovely. When we first walked in she was just lying motionless in the corner of her cage. As soon as she heard our voices and my DD put her hand out for her to smell, she came alive! No strength to purr, and you could tell she was a little wobbly on her legs, but lots of face rubbing and pushing against our hands - such a differance from the morning. The nurses were delighted with the reaction!

I have put some photos of her from last night on my profile if you want to see wink

We have spoken to the vets today and although she is making progress, she is still on the drip. They are also not committing to a coming home time yet. DD was a bit upset, but I reminded her how long Florrie has been without food or water. Its also quite a busy,noisy house here until my day off on Friday, so that would be the best time to get her back if neds be. Thank goodness for pet insurance too! DH has taken her out for lunch as a distraction, and they have come back with posh cat food and a tonne of Florries favourite cat treats grin (and yep they might not suit at present but I wasnt going to spoil the smile on DDs face when she brought them home)

StuffezLaBouche Wed 10-Apr-13 15:48:02

Ah that is so lovely! Beautiful little thing!
Thank God for pet insurance indeed. How does that work, incidentally? Do you pay and reclaim or do they pay vet costs?

Oh dobby she is a lovely little thing.

Stuffez, I have paid and claimed it back but some vets do liaise directly with the insurers I think.

dobby2001 Wed 10-Apr-13 15:54:03

Depends on the vets, mine has a policy of you pay first, then claim back (they sign any documents and provide a report for the insurance company) But some vets will take payment direct from the insurers. We have made a couple of claims and to be honest, there is always something the insurers will wriggle out of paying for, so I understand the vets not wanting to have to come back and ask owners for money when they will be under the impression that the insurance pays out.

StuffezLaBouche Wed 10-Apr-13 15:58:03

Thanks, that's interesting to know. Sorry for the hijack!

dobby2001 Wed 10-Apr-13 16:02:57

No probs. BTW have just put a pic of Florrie with her partner in crime, Twinkle, taken a week or so before she went missing. I have this on my phone screen and whilst she was missing it would make me get very teary eyed! (still does!)

Koyangwuti Wed 10-Apr-13 16:09:05

Talking to your neighbors and asking them to keep their eyes open is probably the best thing you can do. If your cat is alive and has not been catnapped (which is highly unlikely) then your cat is almost certainly not far away. When cats get freaked out and go into "survival mode" they stop responding to their name and the cat could be a foot away from you without you knowing it. It is super frustrating. Our indoor-only cat got trapped outside when I didn't realize she slipped out when I opened the door late one night, and then she was missing for two months. We were very fortunate. A kind woman saw our cat and figured a cat covered in its own poo and so thin you could see all its ribs was a cat that was in trouble. She took it to the vet, they scanned her, and we had her back and nursed her back to health. Our cat was found just a few houses away from ours, even though I'd searched every leaf in a half-mile radius several times. Everything I've read says they do not wander far, and this was true for us as well. Your neighbors are your greatest asset here. Someone will see her, they just need to know that she is lost to know to do anything about it.

Koyang the cat has been found.

QueenStromba Wed 10-Apr-13 17:17:54

She's lovely, our girl is black and white too. Sounds like someone's going to get spoiled rotten when they get home from the vets smile I think in your position my DP would have to physically restrain me to stop me doing a roast every day so she could have some. There'd probably be salmon sashimi involved too.

Darmont Wed 10-Apr-13 23:01:55

I'd love to see the pic of Florrie but being a bit of a newbie don't know how to access profiles. Could anyone help?

Just click on dobbys name on any of her posts Darmont.

Darmont Thu 11-Apr-13 07:44:44

Thank you smile will have to try my computer as won't do it on my phone

dobby2001 Thu 11-Apr-13 09:23:00

To save everyone trawling through 4 pages of posts, I started a new thread here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_litter_tray/1729319-The-all-new-Florrie-thread

Darmont Thu 11-Apr-13 09:38:49

Dobs, Florrie is gorgeous! It's so nice to put a little face to her image in my mindsmile I have put some of our little girl on my page now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now