Cat missing . what next?

(89 Posts)
dobby2001 Wed 27-Mar-13 00:06:02

One of our cats has been missing since this morning. Its the more timid of the two we have, and she rarely goes out more than an hour at a time. I have been calling her all day, and our other,bolder cat has been out looking for her, as we'll as DD and I going out around the block calling and asking friends to check gardens.

I don't have a good feeling about this. She is easily spooked and has always gone out to our back garden, which backs onto other gardens, has never been near a road. If something has spooked her she could be anywhere,and she is not a vocal cat,so would be unlikely to call out.
Is it worth contacting vets in the morning? Do the council bother to check for microchips if they scoop up cats from the road? Poor DD has been down twice as can't sleep and having tweeted her photo locally, and been out calling her and roaming streets, I am at a loss as to what to do next sad

dobby2001 Fri 05-Apr-13 23:04:27

Hi folks, well it has been a real saga since we last spoke. Florrie is still not home , but we have now had Two phone calls from people saying they have spotted her in the same location. Most frustruatlingly the last one was only 10 minutes after I had arrived home form searching there hmm . We have also had a call about a cat fitting her description about 3 roads away in the other direction, this afternoon. We went down there and happened to see a neighbour who confirmed there was an "unknown and bedraggled" cat hanging around. One of my posters was on the corner opposite her house so she has promised to call if she spots the cat again.

Given the strong possibility she is in the road the other side of the railway line to us (where we had the sighting last night) and she only seems to be there around 11.30-midnight (obviously has a routeine!) I am actually about to go round there with a tupperware of cat food to see if I can spot her/ rule out the cat concerned - yep I am going on cat stake out! grin I may be posting from my car if it all gets a bit cold and quiet!!

Oh dobby how frustrating. Fingers crossed for you. xx

out2lunch Fri 05-Apr-13 23:08:40

oooh good luck x

cozietoesie Fri 05-Apr-13 23:28:59

Best of luck, dobby.

pigsDOfly Fri 05-Apr-13 23:35:58

Good luck. Hope you find her and bring her back safe and sound. Such a worry for you.

Yes good luck. And if you don't see her leave the food, and carry on leaving the food in the same place at about the same time every day (when you're not able to do another stake out), then said cat will hopefully start turning up at around the same time to find the food so making the next stake out much easier. And let's hope it's her!

dobby2001 Sat 06-Apr-13 18:42:03

Still no bloody sight of her (by us) . I sat in the car - cat food on wall with me having a clear sight of the spot, and no sight of any wildlife - unless you count to occiassional drunk yoof walking back from the kebab shop down the road hmm . I did however go for a cruise around the streets where the other sighting had been and spotted an cat that looked like it could have been the one described as possible ours - longer hair but similiar markings hence it sort of did resemble a "bedraggled" version of Florrie smile
Today Dh and DD have been back to the flats where I did the stake out to put our poster RIGHT OUTSIDE! grin I wish somebody could just catch her, then ring to say come and get her! She does move quick though so they would have no more luck than us. At least both reports have siad that she looked well, so she is hopefully getting food from somewhere.

Oh dear. It's so upsetting isn't it? Whenever I've had a cat missing I just can't think about anything else and can't be happy. Thankfully all of the 25 or so cats of mine that have been missing at some point I managed to get back eventually - almost always with the help from the neighbourhood who must frankly get sick of my posters and notes. Most took between one and two weeks, but one did admittedly come to light after about 5 years (the lady he'd moved in with only thought to mention to me that she might have my cat when he needed the vet ...)

SirSugar Sun 07-Apr-13 08:40:06

Hi OP, my cat recently went missing for a month, then a family found him and contacted me through a poster we had put up, he was only a couple of streets away, so don't give up hope

this is a good site and may help www.animalsearchuk.co.uk/

Hope you find her x

dobby2001 Mon 08-Apr-13 21:21:26

Oh god, I need hand holding - we think we have found her, but she is trapped! Remember I mentioned about the building (shop with offices above) that had workman in it at the top of our road? Some neighbours across the road have called to say about 3 days ago they spotted a cat at one of the upstairs windows. Tonight they saw the cat again and made the connection. We have been all around the building and there is no way to get access. DH has seen the cat (I was out with DD) and although it was from a distance he was 95% certain it was her.

We have rung the security alarm company and the estate agents and no reply from either. Phone the RSPCA who have advised us to tape our contact details over the doors so anyone entering the building will get in touch and keep trying the phone numbers we have. If no joy by 10.30/11ish to call them back and they will come out to see if they can gain entry.

Nobody has been in that building for at least a week - what the flip has she been surviving on?? sad even if it is not Florrie ,that poor kitty sad

cozietoesie Mon 08-Apr-13 21:25:38

Cats can survive on remarkably little for a good while - especially if there is some source of water.

Fingers crossed for you, dobby.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 08-Apr-13 21:31:26

Oh my god, poor cat. She might be licking moisture off the windows, and eating spoders, don't forget cats are desert animals.

Fingers crossed.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 08-Apr-13 21:31:42

Spiders. Stupid ipad.

Ooh noo. But good that you have possibly found her. Fingers crossed. x

2kidsintow Mon 08-Apr-13 21:42:51

Is it over the top to call your local police station (on non emergency or their direct number) to ask for advice for how to find out who is responsible for the building and how to contact them?

Poor cat! The Police should be able to help, but you have to be persistent and explain that the cat will almost certainly die if you don't get access immediately.

Also I see you're in London so contact Celia Hammonds - they are really good at breaking and entering in this sort of situation

Also does the building have a letter box? If so pour some water through and throw some biscuits in.

QOD Mon 08-Apr-13 22:47:47

Oh man, my stupid cat was locked in a car once ..horrible leaving him there!

dobby2001 Mon 08-Apr-13 23:08:20

I have been around d all six possible entrances to the building to tape notes onto doors as the RSPCA advised. Ironically I spoke to the guy in the restaurant next door and he Informed me the building owner was in his place only last night.

I managed to leave an answerphone message at estate agents and that opens at 8.30. I work from home and have a colleague coming over to help me out if I need to run up the road to get her out. Have even tipped off parents that kids activities may involve dramatic rescues and a trip to the vets"!!

Its just so horrible knowing she is only five doors away and I can't help her sad

dobby2001 Mon 08-Apr-13 23:11:07

Oh and catneuterer, Florrie IS a Celia Hammond rescue cat [Smile]

cozietoesie Mon 08-Apr-13 23:41:57

See if you can do what thecatneuterer suggested and put some food or water through a letter box. Also, first thing tomorrow, leave a message at your vet and warn them that you might be bringing Florrie in - in a state. (So that they're ready.)

Best of luck.

dobby2001 Tue 09-Apr-13 00:11:54

No way of getting food or drink to her - she is in an upstairs room at back of building- tricky to describe but that's around corner in our road. Only unsealed letterbox is all the way around corner at front, in seperate section of building its a hotchpox of 3 buildings really. I am going to ring vets in morning and possiblycelia Hammond.They often go in where Rspca slower to respond.

Our other cat twinkle is missing Florrie so much. I am typing one handed as he is curled around d my other arm.sad

cozietoesie Tue 09-Apr-13 08:46:10

Fingers crossed for Florrie this morning.

Yes cozie I so want a happy ending for dobby. So frustrating.

dobby2001 Tue 09-Apr-13 10:20:43

Quick update - Saw builder in van outside and begged to be let in! He had no keys but as soon as key holder came we went in with cat food, water and cat box. No sign of her anywhere!!! Neighbours had phoned that morning to say they saw her at window again??? We called and called but no sign.
Then I heard a faint Mew from INSIDE A WALL! it was like a blinking scene from one of those animal rescue programmes shock us knocking/calling - silence then an increasingly urgent sounding Mew. It was so frustruating, the builders took floorboards up, crawled onto the roof and into attic aces, but we just could find her! It was heartbreaking as she sounded in a bad way and so desperate - but determined as she had never mewed so hard in all her life sad
Eventually I suggested the builders left us to sit quietly and they did. we opend some cat food and waited. Sure enough after 10 minutes out she came. Painfully thin and with a bloodied nose sad

I had to call in all favours with parents as my mindees were about to arrive -they were fine as fellow cat owners smile and we rushed to the vets. They thought we had brought in a kitten and were shocked when we siad she was almost 2 years old! She is very dehydrated and weighs only 1.6kgs sad They have put her on an IV and will introduce food when she is a bit better (she was interested in the food we put out but didnt eat it). Vet says as she was alert and still mewing then she stands a good chance of full recovery smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now