How do you know when it's time (cat has cancer)

(6 Posts)
fuckwittery Wed 27-Feb-13 04:47:06

thank you all

cozietoesie Tue 26-Feb-13 21:01:04

I'll echo what thecatneuterer said. I've left it too long before - for myself and not for the cat. But no-one can really advise you now because you're the one that knows her.

I only suppose that I'd be looking at whether she's still really enjoying life rather than just going through the motions.

So sorry you're going through this. It's always hard.

fuckwittery Tue 26-Feb-13 20:55:33

if anything she seems more affectionate and wanting to be near us than usual sad
with regards to toileting, we used to keep a litter box in an outdoor shed just by our backdoor cat flap (to keep out of the way of our toddler) but she started coming in and toileting inside the house which is the major behaviour change. I have brought the litter box inside now and she is using it. Washing, drinking and feeding all OK.
She does seem to have a pretty good appetite but I just think the lump looks so awfully sore and painful. It's so hard to know what to do.

I'm so sorry that you're in this difficult situation and it is very hard to know when the right time is. Apart from obviously guidance from your vet, you are really looking for any change in her behaviour, particularly loss of appetite, but any change in behaviour is really a sign that thing's aren't right. Unfortunately cats are very good at not showing pain. There was a thread on this sort of subject recently and everyone said that, when faced with this decision, many regretted leaving it too long, no one tormented themselves with having done it too soon.

SecretNutellaFix Tue 26-Feb-13 20:32:55

How does she seem in herself?

Is she struggling to toilet/drink/wash herself?

Does she try to creep away?

I'm sorry you are going through this.

fuckwittery Tue 26-Feb-13 20:28:39

Hi, our cat has a nasty looking skin cancer (possibly breast cancer but the vet thought more likely skin). She has a very large lump on the surface of her belly, and the skin looks very painful (red raw), she has also started to leave blood spots where she has been lying. She is generally a pretty shy cat and only likes her head being touched so it was already a large sore looking lump when I noticed, and I hadn't noticed any behaviour out of the ordinary (feeding fine and still is). I took her to the vets about 3 weeks ago, we decided that we are not putting her through any treatment at this age. He did not suggest anything to make her comfortable as I said I hadn't seen any signs of pain. He said we should bring her back when we feel the time is right, and the lump may start oozing discharge and that would be an indication. He thought about 2-3 months time when I asked how long did he think. At that time I hadn't noticed the blood spots. Basically, I am worried that she may be in pain and not showing it, how should I know when to bring her back to the vets?
I would be v grateful for any advice from anyone who has gone through this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now