Oh Holy Crap! Cat has just brought in LIVE MUTANT RAT!

(86 Posts)
SarahLundKicksAss Mon 25-Feb-13 19:23:17

... and has cornered it behind the wardrobe in the spare bedroom. I have locked offending cat in the room, but beyond that WTF can I do?

(I'm not 100% sure whether the rat is a mutant, but it's flippin' big!)

Trazzletoes Tue 26-Feb-13 16:45:24

Yes it could well have shimmied out of an open window and down the wall.

SarahLundKicksAss Tue 26-Feb-13 17:28:23

Rat man has just been - searched the room from top to bottom, and guess what? NO RAT! There's no evidence of any carpet chewing, and I made him go through every draw and shake the quilt on the bed, so hopefully it's legged it out of the window.

Can't be 100% about this - there's a small gap under the bedroom door. I shoved a towel up against it last night. The towel was moved away from a bit of it this morning, but DD had got up first and the cats were upstairs, so I can only hope that one of the cats pulled the towel away. It's either that or....

THERE'S A BLOODY GREAT RAT SOMEWHERE ELSE IN THE HOUSE!

I feel like special ops now, listening out for evidence.

Cat is rubbing against my legs. Grr!

zzzzz Tue 26-Feb-13 17:31:26

Rats can climb walls.

But I think the towel says it all. shock. sad

Trazzletoes Tue 26-Feb-13 17:40:56

Sorry to burst your bubble OP, but they can squeeze through extremely small spaces.

TheSilveryPussycat Tue 26-Feb-13 18:19:29

AIUI rats have a non-fatal terminal velocity, and as a poster above says, would survive a fall from the first floor.

But no, this one got out the gap in the door.

Nooo! Not sticky pads. Very cruel. Poison or air rifle but please not sticky pads.

It'll try and chew its little feet off <bunny hugger>

zzzzz Tue 26-Feb-13 18:29:40

Pray it's not pregnant.

<sorry>

SarahLundKicksAss Tue 26-Feb-13 18:48:43

Now stop it everyone. I have convinced myself it jumped out of the window, so stop putting other ideas in my head!

zzzzz pregnant.... noooooooo!

Rat man said sticky pads were frowned upon now, but DS would be shocked if he came back from uni and someone had let rip with an air rifle in his bedroom!

Am about to venture upstairs again. I may be gone sometime.

It's a one shot gun, it wouldn't be messy.

Blackden Tue 26-Feb-13 19:11:15

I've marked this thread to act as a deterrent when I start getting thoughts about how nice it would be to have a cat.

I hope you get some resolution to this OP, ie firm evidence to know that the rat is done for.

flamingtoaster Tue 26-Feb-13 20:27:55

Do you play the recorder or flute? To put your mind at rest you could try playing a suitable song (Rat Trap by the Boomtown Rats or maybe I Think I Smell a Rat by The White Stripes) and wander through the house getting in touch with your inner Pied Paper of Hamelin.smile

SarahLundKicksAss Tue 26-Feb-13 20:55:59

The Boomtown Rats were my favourite band when I were a lass..

No rustling or squeaking yet - have been in every room banging loudly.

Have resorted to wine to ensure some sleep tonight - this has made me realise that I could never be a contestant on I'm a Celebrity!

Adversecamber Tue 26-Feb-13 21:06:19

I really wish I hadn't read this, have total heebie jeebies. Was chased by a giant rat as a child when boy across the road lured rats from churchyard out with bacon scraps with his catapult ready to kill. Loads came out and chased the neighbourhood kids down the road.

What larks were had pre x box days

I can offer my gorgeous border terrier who is a cracking ratter <proud> <helpful>

VicarInaTutu Tue 26-Feb-13 21:24:31

oh....i like rats. i had them as pets. i cant kill em - not even the manky ones.

really - the sticky pads sound horrific and cruel to me.
im sure its gone out - i have picked up and put back out mice, voles, shrews, birds and rats before now.

it would have been terrified and anxious to get out knowing the cat was waiting....it will have gone im sure. rats are very intelligent. if its not there try not to worry about it.

if you are near me i will happily come and turf it out for you....--and talk to it--

ZebraOwl Tue 26-Feb-13 21:33:18

See it's things like this that make me quite glad the Zebra Kittens are still flatly refusing (aged almost 11 months) to venture outside. S'fine by me if they vote with their paws for the Indoor Cat Life!

juule Tue 26-Feb-13 21:33:57

Mutant rat?
Master Shredder? Look out for ninja turtles. grin

Sorry not helpful.

At last VicarInaTutu. Someone who understands me. I was beginning to think I was the only rat lover in the world. I have picked up and rescued a rat that was being terrorised by cats in my garden. I put it somewhere safe. It stayed perfectly still for about 15 seconds, then ran off.

VicarInaTutu Tue 26-Feb-13 21:52:05

i would love to link you to the photos on my FB today.....absolutely the cutest rats ever.

seriously cute....

maxybrown Tue 26-Feb-13 21:55:21

<<passes out>>

This would involve me moving out - I kid ye not, I would have to de camp somewhere................wahhhh!

VicarInaTutu Tue 26-Feb-13 22:14:13

pulease click my cute link.....

really. you will see rats in a very different light.....

TheSilveryPussycat Tue 26-Feb-13 22:18:37

Hey catneuterer, that's vicar, you and me in the rat fan club.

Those pix are sweet but also odd vicar. Perhaps it's cos my first rat had just the sweetest little babies of her own smile

They do look cute with a teddy.

My parents have a rat in the garden, it eats bird seed.

I think those are the cutest photos I've ever seen!

Hassled Tue 26-Feb-13 22:27:36

I was hoping to MN tonight to the news that the King Rat had gone to a better place, a place far far away - and most importantly that you knew he had.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now