she has several large masses in her colon and her nodes and her spine :-((
she is home with me here, the vet has been amazing saying that we will do whatever it takes to make her comfortable. However he also wanted me to know that we would never regret making a reasonably early decision to say goodbye, but we may regret leaving it till she is suffering very badly.
she has been my friend for nearly 18 years... I don't know what to do...
I am so sorry - this a horrible thing to have to face, for all of you. I have had to make a similar decision on several occasions (the last one only a couple of months ago, an old lady of similar age to your precious friend). All I can offer is to agree with your vet that better early than too late. I think you will know in your heart when the time has come to say goodbye, although it will be very difficult to admit it to yourself. Sorry I can't be of more help, except to say you have both been very lucky to have enjoyed a long and loving bond. Thinking of you.
thank you .. we have been to the supermarket, she has chicken and fish and ham to eat (not all at the same time) we have been so controlled about her food all her life and so we have now devided she should have her favorites for the next few weeks.
If she wants them all at the same time ....! Ham was always a favourite of my old lady Cat, and her daughter Kitten (inspiration was in short supply when we collected them from Cat's Protection). Enjoy your purrs and cuddles.
As I recently mentioned on another thread this is a decision I have to make about four or five times a year (as I have about 20 old/ill cats living with me). It's always difficult to decide exactly when to do it, but I still live with regret for leaving it a bit too long on some occasions. I have never, never regretted doing it sooner rather than later. But you should be guided by your vet and his/her opinion of your cats quality of life/pain. It's a difficult decision and I do feel for you.
Oh My, well I thought I would do you a little update as you were all so kind.
Lucy has perked up, we doubled the initial dose of steroids and she is eating again. She still has a runny bum and leaving little wee patches around but she seem so much more content.
I really feel like we have bought a little time to get our heads round things. Apparently the mass is carcenoma in a few rings round her colon, which will obviously close off her colon at some point and that is aside from it being in her lymph glands and spine.
It isn't going to be long I know, but I do know that these last days/weeks we have together she is more comfortable.
I'm sorry Knowingly it is so sad when the time has come to let them go, especially one that has been with you for so long. Have you decided if you want her ashes back or not? I only ask this as every time we have had to do this we have had the ashes back and scattered them in their favorite place in the garden and either planted something or bought a little ornament to mark where they have been put to rest and this has always been a great comfort to us. Cuddle her, sleep next to her whatever makes her feel comfortable until the time comes.
Oh this is horrid.... she has totally perked up now we have doubled the steroids.. she is now totally unable to go for a poo and is incontinent with wee But chatty and cuddly and begging for food again...