We're probably getting a rescue cat soon. What do we need to buy and how much will upkeep cost?

(312 Posts)
QueenStromba Sun 10-Feb-13 16:45:08

We're moving soon and have found a flat that we're close to signing the contracts on where the landlord is willing for us to have a cat. If it all goes through we'll be getting an adult cat from Battersea. What do we need to buy and where is the best place to buy from? So far we're thinking:

Transport cage
Litter tray
Scratching post (which will probably be ignored in favour of the sofa)
Cat toys
Food and water bowls

I'm thinking a cat bed would just be ignored in favour of climbing all over us while we're trying to sleep, the sofa, the laptop, whatever point on the carpet the sun is hitting. Should we get one anyway?

Also, neither of us has owned a cat as an adult (we both had them as kids - DP for longer) so we have no idea how much it costs to feed them (is it a whole tin or half a tin a day?), insure them and how much vet bills will cost. How does microchipping work? Is it just the one off cost or is there a yearly charge or just a charge if you change any details etc?

cozietoesie Fri 08-Mar-13 19:46:43

Remember - although you're so excited - to let the cat make the pace when you get it home. However difficult it may be (because you'll want to see how she likes the flat) it's best to just plonk yourself on the couch with a book or music or something and let her roam around finding her new territory. Talk to her gently of course so that she becomes used to your voice. Your calm and restfulness will be reassuring to her.

Have fun - and let us know how it goes tomorrow.

smile

DewDr0p Fri 08-Mar-13 20:01:44

Ooh good luck for tomorrow OP. cozie's post just reminded me. Our cat (who is an old lady now) was very very quiet at first. Then I remember suddenly she decided she was settled and had a total mad half hour, tearing everywhere around the place and generally going beserk. I called my cat expert friend and said I think I've broken the cat and she laughed and said no I think she's settled in.

Have fun!

QueenStromba Sat 09-Mar-13 08:47:23

It is going to be hard to contain my excitement but we're prepared to give the cat some space. DP is still in bed - I need to go and poke him again because I want to leave here at 9.30 so we get there before 10.30 and get first dibs on the cats.

cozietoesie Sat 09-Mar-13 09:04:55

Remember - you'll need to post a picture of her when you get her back!

Lots of luck - and keep calm.

smile

QueenStromba Sat 09-Mar-13 12:35:46

This is Rice she's our cat! She picked us rather than the other way around smile We've just got her home, she had a play with a toy and now she's having some quiet time.

Ponders Sat 09-Mar-13 12:37:51

she is gorgeous, QS - what a beautiful face! smile

Ponders Sat 09-Mar-13 12:42:42

do tell about her choosing you!

QueenStromba Sat 09-Mar-13 13:04:57

She came up to the door to meet us and then wouldn't shut up while we were being told about her and was all over us once we went in. She seems to be settling in already. We've just been climbed on and head butted for attention.

Wineandchoccy Sat 09-Mar-13 13:06:29

She is lovely and nice to see an elderly cat getting a new home to be spoilt in!

cozietoesie Sat 09-Mar-13 13:37:37

She is just lovely! And as Wineandchoccy said - so nice to see an older cat getting a new home. My own boy is 18 and still going strong (with just a little arthritis which is controllable) so you could have many years with her.

smile

QueenStromba Sat 09-Mar-13 13:53:20

Battersea couldn't find anything wrong with her except her teeth and she's pretty lively - she definitely doesn't seem old.

BIWI Sat 09-Mar-13 13:55:45

Aw! She's lovely. Congratulations on being chosen by her. smile

elfycat Sat 09-Mar-13 14:13:03

Awww, she's beautiful.

My first cat was older when I got her (19), her elderly owner had died and her daughter had asthma, triggered by cats. We worked for the same company and she put a plea out for a home before she had to find a cathome to take her.

I'd just bought my first little house (all the renters had been no pets. I now rent out this house and I do allow pets) and the timing was perfect. She was an indoor cat but she was great in a basket on the train and I'd take her to visit my parents.

A home is so much more when you share with a cat. And she sounds like she was waiting for you.

QueenStromba Sat 09-Mar-13 14:29:04

Rice is now acting like she's always been here. I've put some photos on my profile.

Ponders Sat 09-Mar-13 14:31:28

smile

she does look right at home!

elfycat Sat 09-Mar-13 14:34:04

So is DP now talking about having another? wink

cozietoesie Sat 09-Mar-13 14:37:26

She looks quite the lady of the house. Has she used her tray or eaten/drunk yet?

As she's older, she likely will have indifferent teeth (although even young animals are getting tooth problems these days.) My boy had to have a dental procedure at 16 because his teeth were so horrible but came through with flying colours - and so far, touch wood, with no significant recurrence. (Although he has precious few teeth left to go wrong now!) You and your vet will need to keep a weather eye on those.

She's doing great.

smile

She's got such a pretty face, I love black and white cats.

I'm so glad you gave her a home.

QueenStromba Sat 09-Mar-13 14:55:23

No mention of another cat yet. She's eating some biscuits now. Battersea had to pull a few teeth but she seems over it.

cozietoesie Sat 09-Mar-13 15:01:16

Ah - if they've already done a dental, that's great.

So - you've still to go through First Use Of Litter Tray. That's always a tense period - kitten or grown cat! Fingers crossed for you.

smile

SnowyWellies Sat 09-Mar-13 15:10:11

Oh she is lovely! Congratulations.

So nice also to see an older cat getting a home.

YY to dreamies being kitty crack. I have NO idea what they put in them- but our rescue cat also goes mad. I hear a plaintive cry from DH (who is a softer touch than me) several times a day - 'NO Claude. I am NOT going to spend my life feeding you Dreamies'.

QueenStromba Sat 09-Mar-13 15:45:41

I really think Battersea added 10 years to her age - she's just gone made playing with a balled up bit of paper.

elfycat Sat 09-Mar-13 16:29:34

They might have based her age partly on tooth condition. I have a 5 year old cat who needed a tooth out/clean and an 11 year old who never needed a clean up. So maybe a few years younger but still not a youngster.

New lease of life is my bet grin

cozietoesie Sat 09-Mar-13 17:34:14

Have you decided where you're going to offer her to sleep tonight? (ie - which side of the bed!)

smile

QueenStromba Sat 09-Mar-13 17:36:50

Battersea said not to bother trying to feed her a pouch today because she'd probably have no appetite but she was a bit yowly so I tried giving her half a pouch which she wolfed down along with most of the other half then promptly curled up on the sofa for a snooze. She also insisted on seeing the bedroom and sat on the window sill for a spot of cat telly. She's definitely not traumatised by the move at all. I think she's quite happy with her choice of staff.

How much and how often should we be feeding her wet food? We'll keep biscuits down for her at all times but she really seems to prefer wet food, possibly due to her teeth. She's small and also quite thin - I'd like to put some meat on her bones if possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now