We're probably getting a rescue cat soon. What do we need to buy and how much will upkeep cost?

(312 Posts)
QueenStromba Sun 10-Feb-13 16:45:08

We're moving soon and have found a flat that we're close to signing the contracts on where the landlord is willing for us to have a cat. If it all goes through we'll be getting an adult cat from Battersea. What do we need to buy and where is the best place to buy from? So far we're thinking:

Transport cage
Litter tray
Scratching post (which will probably be ignored in favour of the sofa)
Cat toys
Food and water bowls

I'm thinking a cat bed would just be ignored in favour of climbing all over us while we're trying to sleep, the sofa, the laptop, whatever point on the carpet the sun is hitting. Should we get one anyway?

Also, neither of us has owned a cat as an adult (we both had them as kids - DP for longer) so we have no idea how much it costs to feed them (is it a whole tin or half a tin a day?), insure them and how much vet bills will cost. How does microchipping work? Is it just the one off cost or is there a yearly charge or just a charge if you change any details etc?

QueenStromba Wed 27-Feb-13 10:21:02

Our home visit is booked in for tomorrow! Anyone know what I should expect?

BIWI Wed 27-Feb-13 10:23:38

I don't, but very good luck!

It's no big deal. They'll mainly be looking at access to the road and whether you've got the sort of windows that a cat is likely to leap out of, and if she will advise on what to do about them. Don't go overboard on the cleaning/tidying. When i do home visits I always worry if the place looks like a show home as I worry they'll be the sort of people who will freak out if the cat scratches something or they won't be able to cope with having a litter tray. It's far better to have a 'relaxed' sort of home. But really the visit is about whether you should have an indoor or an outdoor cat and if there will be any unruly children/dogs etc to contend with, and that's about it.

if so, not 'if she'

QueenStromba Wed 27-Feb-13 15:19:23

Thanks. You've been so helpful. If we ever meet I'll buy you a drink but in the mean time a small donation to Celia Hammond will have to do.

That's very kind. Thank you. And I look forward to updates.

QueenStromba Thu 28-Feb-13 21:54:38

We've had our home visit and the nice lady thinks we should have a flat cat. The only problem she had other than the outside area was our living room window being dangerous if we opened it but we have an openable skylight anyway.

We're doing the big move at the weekend so should have everything unpacked and be ready to pick a cat by Saturday week. I've already ordered the essentials and have taken the advice on Dreamies and chick crumb.

That's great. And I think a flat cat sounds like a very sensible idea. You must be very excited and broody now then smile

And there are things you can do about problem windows (If they're not bays) - such as make a hinged wood frame and cover in chicken wire and put it over your window. It doesn't look very pretty but it does the job and can easily be removed when you leave.

Another thing QueenStromba - you mentioned making a small donation to Celia Hammonds, which is very kind, so I thought you might be interested to know about EasyFundraising, which is a way of raising money for charities when you shop online. If you download the toolbar then everytime you go onto a site that is taking part (including Amazon, PetSupermarket and PetsatHome) the toolbar will flash. Then you just click the toolbar and shop as normal, and the site will give a percentage of what you spend to your chosen chairty. I've only been using it for a few months and I've already raised over £20 that way and with no effort or cost to me. Here's the link
www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/celiahammond Sorry for the shameless plug but charities need funds and it seems a shame not to take advantage of what is basically free money!

I really really think you should get two cats but I might be slightly biased

sashh Fri 01-Mar-13 04:20:13

What a pretty kitty

QueenStromba Fri 01-Mar-13 09:39:52

I wish I'd known about easy fundraising yesterday - I spent a small fortune at pet planet! Thanks for the tip about the chicken wire. DP isn't too keen on the idea but he might change his mind if we get too hot in the summer.

I agree that we need two cats but DP has vetoed it for now because he thinks it would be easier to start with one even though I'll be the one who ends up doing all of the practical stuff.

Ponders Sun 03-Mar-13 14:07:59

two cats will be less trouble IME grin

(twice the expense, obv, but much easier apart from that)

QueenStromba Mon 04-Mar-13 10:15:30

That's exactly what I've been trying to tell him but he's not having any of it. He's a stubborn git sometimes.

I've an idea. Post about his stubborn gitishness in Relationships - they will all tell you to LTB and exactly how, then you can fill you flat with 20 cats smile

QueenStromba Thu 07-Mar-13 16:41:06

Good plan, but I loves him and wouldn't be able to feed myself let alone 20 cats if I left him.

Is it worth getting feliway? If so, diffuser, spray or both? We want the cat to be as happy as possible.

cozietoesie Thu 07-Mar-13 17:11:27

I reckon that with a single cat coming you should be OK without it. Just have some nice nosh and a clean litter tray.

When is C Day? Saturday?

QueenStromba Fri 08-Mar-13 11:28:15

Tomorrow if Battersea have one we like! Squee!!!!!!

cozietoesie Fri 08-Mar-13 11:31:57

Your problem will be not taking home 6!

Have fun.

smile

QueenStromba Fri 08-Mar-13 11:48:01

I actually had a dream last night that they only had one indoor lap cat. I really liked him but DP vetoed him sad

cozietoesie Fri 08-Mar-13 12:24:44

There's anxiety for you. Don't worry - if your cat isn't already waiting at Battersea, there are dozens of shelters all over the South East who would be crawling through rough scrub to get at you and invite you to meet their residents !

smile

QueenStromba Fri 08-Mar-13 18:44:01

I'm so excited! I've spent the day tidying the living room and have put the litter tray in one corner and food dishes and a scratching post in another. The Battersea website has two indoor cats listed, both of whom are described as affectionate - one is even described as loving cuddles and laps and has the same name as my childhood cat! It's really looking like we'll have a cat this time tomorrow!

I've got a couple more questions now. We got a covered litter tray - I'm guessing it would be best to leave the top off it for a while until they get used to it? Also, would it be better to drive or take the train? I've only got a two seater car so the carrier would have to go in the passenger footwell where we wouldn't really be able to interact with the cat. On the train we'd be able to reassure the cat and the ride would be smoother but it might be more overwhelming. The journey would be about the same length either way.

How exciting.

Yes, leave the lid of the tray for a couple of days. And definitely car, not train. Trains are very noisy with lots and lots of people and things happening. A car ride would be far less stressful.

QueenStromba Fri 08-Mar-13 19:18:20

Thank you smile

QueenStromba Fri 08-Mar-13 19:24:56

Come to think of it, it's probably safer to get a taxi - I'm going to be far more interested in the cat than the road!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now