We're probably getting a rescue cat soon. What do we need to buy and how much will upkeep cost?

(312 Posts)
QueenStromba Sun 10-Feb-13 16:45:08

We're moving soon and have found a flat that we're close to signing the contracts on where the landlord is willing for us to have a cat. If it all goes through we'll be getting an adult cat from Battersea. What do we need to buy and where is the best place to buy from? So far we're thinking:

Transport cage
Litter tray
Scratching post (which will probably be ignored in favour of the sofa)
Cat toys
Food and water bowls

I'm thinking a cat bed would just be ignored in favour of climbing all over us while we're trying to sleep, the sofa, the laptop, whatever point on the carpet the sun is hitting. Should we get one anyway?

Also, neither of us has owned a cat as an adult (we both had them as kids - DP for longer) so we have no idea how much it costs to feed them (is it a whole tin or half a tin a day?), insure them and how much vet bills will cost. How does microchipping work? Is it just the one off cost or is there a yearly charge or just a charge if you change any details etc?

QueenStromba Thu 25-Apr-13 19:12:24

I took her to the vet and she puked again in the waiting room. She's put on 2-300g since her last visit which is great. She's had an anti-nausea injection and I have to take her back if she's sick again. I've taken away her biscuits because I correlate them with her being sick. She's now acting as if she's never been fed and has wolfed down about 60 grams and has demanded some more.

cozietoesie Thu 25-Apr-13 19:32:05

The vet this evening?

Let's see how it goes. Watch how much you give her in case she's pigging the stuff down and throwing up as a result. Modest and steady.

Good luck - anxiety making, isn't it?

QueenStromba Thu 25-Apr-13 20:11:41

It is bloody terrifying - especially since she's so old. She's not normally a piggy sort of cat at all.

cozietoesie Thu 25-Apr-13 20:42:33

As I said - wait and see how she is tomorrow. Seniorboy had a bout of being sick in the early New Year and when I took him in after 2 or 3 days, all she could initially tell was that he had some gingevitis. (Being elderly, he's a bit of a martyr to his few remaining teeth.) The vet didn't know for certain if that was it but gave him an AB injection (and some antacids which he wouldn't swallow and were a waste of a med.) No more problem. Touch wood he's not been sick at all since then.

I don't know if that's got anything to do with it - a cat being sick a lot can be so many things - but I was just thinking that Rice had to have her teeth attended to at Battersea. Just a thought, anyway.

QueenStromba Thu 25-Apr-13 21:11:03

The vet had a cursory look at her teeth - she's a cat who really hates having her jaws forced open though. He also took her temperature (which Rice really didn't seem to mind at all) and had a feel of her stomach and pregnant looking dangly bit - all of which he said was fine. I'm hoping it was all a waste of fifty quid rather than something I have to take her back for - I really don't want it to be worth the £80 excess.

QueenStromba Thu 25-Apr-13 21:14:11

I can see why people don't take their pets to the vet though if it's so much money - I was expecting 20-30 quid not 50.

cozietoesie Fri 26-Apr-13 10:34:18

How's she doing this morning, QS?

smile

QueenStromba Fri 26-Apr-13 15:46:32

She seems alright today thanks - she hasn't been sick since we went to the vet. Either I was worrying over nothing or the injection worked.

cozietoesie Fri 26-Apr-13 16:01:59

Good. I don't know whether she does the 'plumbing' sound that some cats make prior to being sick. I usually have about 8-10 seconds with Seniorboy: just enough time to dash off for a newspaper to put underneath him.

QueenStromba Sat 27-Apr-13 16:18:01

She does wretch for a good 5-10 seconds before she throws up. If she does it while we're asleep that's enough time to wake up, realise what is going on, scrabble for something to put in front of her and to not quite get it in front of her before she pukes. I really should keep some newspaper next to the bed from now on.

She still seems ok. I think she was feeling a bit sorry for herself yesterday though. She'll normally only lie on me for 15-20 minutes and then curl up next to me to sleep but slept on me for about two hours in the afternoon and only moved when I had to move because I was getting a crick in my neck. I don't think she's been like that since the first night when she slept on me all night. She's less clingy today so hopefully that means she's feeling better.

We've not given her the biscuits again and she's developed a habit of finishing her food, asking for more and then wandering off once we provide it. I think she likes the security of knowing there's food there when she wants it because she never did that when we had the biscuits down constantly.

QueenStromba Sun 28-Apr-13 11:16:19

She threw up again this morning and is being massively clingy. She's alert and causing mischief when she's not sitting on me though.

cozietoesie Sun 28-Apr-13 11:18:58

Seniorboy threw up as well - I think it was empty stomach vomiting because I gave him beef pouch and not chicken pouch for his breakfast. Which he wouldn't eat.

Has she eaten or drunk anything this morning?

QueenStromba Sun 28-Apr-13 11:33:18

She got me up to feed her at 6.30, ate about 30g and threw it up an hour or two later. Since then she's had a lick of her food and a tiny bit of smoked salmon I was silly enough to try and eat with her sitting on me. I've got a bit of roast chicken defrosting for her to have later.

QueenStromba Sun 28-Apr-13 20:30:35

She seems to be a bit constipated. DP caught her dragging her bum across the sofa cushion and I had to pick a large bit of poo from just next to her anus. After scrubbing the poo mark from the sofa, I found another two in the hall and a small lump of poo on the bath mat. Her litter had been kicked about but there was nothing in it. Looks like she tried to go for a poo in her litter tray but it got stuck, she wiped on the bath mat and got a bit out and wiped a further three times before she dislodged it and I picked it off her.

I'm a bit worried this means that she's a bit dehydrated. Should I give her some cat milk tomorrow to encourage her to drink?

cozietoesie Sun 28-Apr-13 21:35:27

QS

I'd actually be thinking of getting her to the vet. The vomiting and the constipation could be linked and yes - she could get dehydrated but I suspect the vet will best advise you on that. At the least, I'd give a
phone, especially with these periods of lassitude she's having.

I had this with Seniorboy who is now on a mild laxative from the vet to assist and hasn't had any more pooing problems.

(If she suddenly has an enormous big poo and returns to normal, I think I'd still go but in a more relaxed fashion in the next few weeks.)

cozietoesie Sun 28-Apr-13 21:37:15

PS - I'm conscious that you went to the vet a short while ago so they may be prepared to talk you through it rather than having another expensive visit.

QueenStromba Sun 28-Apr-13 22:26:35

She's not really been having periods of lassitude - she's been sleeping/dozing/resting the same amount as she normally does, she's just been wanting to do it on me more than normal. I guess that's the kitty equivalent of a child wanting their mummy (and only their mummy) when they're sick. She's actually been behaving normally since about 1 and has been eating ok and has even had a wee since the icky poo incedent.

I'll see how she is in the morning. If she throws up again/hasn't done a full poo/is being really clingy then I'll give the vet a call. He seems like a decent chap - when we got all worried about her D&V when we first got her he advised us to take her to Battersea rather than taking our money.

cozietoesie Sun 28-Apr-13 22:38:02

If she's been eating and drinking OK then that's better news. She may have been having a one-off constipation. I'd wait and see how she is tomorrow then.

Good luck to Rice.

QueenStromba Mon 29-Apr-13 10:31:02

She hasn't been sick or clingy so far today. She also hasn't had a poo but it's still early. I got her some cat milk and she's had a bit of that so hopefully it will help.

cozietoesie Mon 29-Apr-13 10:37:22

Good that she's not been sick - but keep an eye on the poo situation. (A great thing about housecats is that you always know precisely how their insides are working.)

QueenStromba Mon 29-Apr-13 10:52:45

She's had a poo now and got all but a mini turd (bath mat again) in the litter box.

cozietoesie Mon 29-Apr-13 10:59:56

Her poos might have got a bit dry if she hasn't been pooing regularly. You don't have longish hair do you by any chance? That will sound like a daft question but I've found that cats can sometimes ingest some hair from their owners and if it's longish (ie more than an inch or two long) then it can sometimes connect poos up the intestine so that a poo could be out of the body but still be dangling for a minute or two - by a hair! (Sorry if TMI.)

QueenStromba Mon 29-Apr-13 11:33:06

DP and I both have waist length hair so that could well be it. The little bit on the bath mat didn't look dry.

She seems to be enjoying the cat milk and it's not stopping her eating her food or even drinking her water. I might start giving it to her every day - the extra calories and fluid will probably do her some good.

QueenStromba Mon 06-May-13 15:11:31

She's not had much of an appetite since Thursday. I thought it was because we had a decorator in on Thursday and Friday and she was a bit put out by it. I'm not sure exactly how much she's been eating because we always have a fishy tin and a meaty tin on the go which makes it hard to keep track. All she's had so far today is a little bit of milk and a lick of her food. She's still affectionate and has the odd running about like a mad thing episode so she seems alright in herself. Could it be the hot weather that's bothering her or should I be worried?

cozietoesie Mon 06-May-13 16:21:25

Has she got water down for her, QS? And how has her tray been? (If they get a bit constipated, their intake sometimes drops.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now