cat being sick a couple of times a day every few days. HELP!

(14 Posts)
tabbycat15 Sun 10-Feb-13 13:58:12

My 15 year old cat Dotty started vomiting a few times a week. We had all blood tests done & they couldn't find what was wrong. She lost lots of weight. They finally tested for pancreatitis & she was diagnosed. The only treatment was a prescription low fat diet. She died 4 mths later but she was very old. I would take your cat to the vets as they call it chronic vomiting & it can be a symptom of various conditions so they will probably do blood tests & check the neck for an enlarged thyroid.

minnisota Sat 09-Feb-13 18:05:48

Second the zylkene for stress, fantastic stuff!

My fifteen year old cat has been being sick prob four times a week, usually first thing. He was also losing weight. We monitored both dud bloods which showed a few things but mainly his luver. (he had liver problems and very nearly died when he was one).
We are still monitoring with weight checks, bloods and urine tests but have also put him on denamarin which is a supplement to help support the liver.
Seems to be helping, his weight seems stable and he's hardly ever sick now.
Hth

cozietoesie Thu 07-Feb-13 19:45:38

My instinct would be to have him up to the vet, I think, even if he hasn't been wormed recently. Bakingtins post was very relevant. He's getting on a bit and there could be any one of a number of things wrong. The odd vomit goes with the territory but that's too many for comfort. Or at least for confort without having him checked over.

tipsytrifle Thu 07-Feb-13 19:41:45

Have you tried zylkene? It's a sort of kitty prozak ... might help reduce stress levels but this boy has been with you for 9yrs now, so i'm wondering - like you - what's going on. Do you have a litter tray for him indoors?

tipsytrifle Thu 07-Feb-13 19:38:28

Might it be that he needs a senior diet? Does he get milk? What kind? If he has the equivalent of stress related IBS (I'm sure vets would snort at that but cats are very sensitive beings) maybe gentler food would help? Just a thought to put alongside everyone else's ...

cozietoesie Thu 07-Feb-13 12:13:42

If he goes outside and - say - hunts then he's at a higher risk of worms and should be wormed more frequently than an indoor cat. Worth checking when he was last done.

soverylucky Thu 07-Feb-13 12:04:05

He does go outside and he does get fur balls but this is quite different. Will ask dh when he was last wormed. thanks so much for replies.

cozietoesie Wed 06-Feb-13 18:32:04

soverylucky

Does he go outside and do you groom him regularly? I'm thinking about worms (if he hasn't been wormed recently) and possibly a hair build up in his gut.

TaggieCampbellBlack Wed 06-Feb-13 18:10:57

Mine does this. Been to the vet and everything fine. Just once a week will puke and look depressed, and then be normal again.

The vet ssid to feed her food fir 'seniors' but she doesn't like it.

Bakingtins Wed 06-Feb-13 18:08:07

Any other changes? Has he lost weight? What is his appetite and thirst like?

The vet will probably want to check for thryoid disease, diabetes, kidney and liver disease. Most labs offer a senior profile that will check all these things on a blood sample. It ought to cost in the region of £60.

my cat is sick quite a lot (about once a week) and when it gets more frequent usually results in a fur ball being brought up <boak>

we try and brush her regularly to keep the furballs at bay

Madlizzy Wed 06-Feb-13 17:17:19

Is he over grooming? Might be fur balls causing it.

Masterchuff Wed 06-Feb-13 17:13:08

Has he been wormed regularly? Hope you get some better answers soon

soverylucky Wed 06-Feb-13 17:11:40

My cat is a male - 10 years old. He has for about 2 years now had a problem with weeing in the wrong place. We seem to have solved this problem purely by banning him from certain rooms. I think if he still had free roam of the house it would continue to be an issue. He always been a nervous cat due to his first owner being crap - we got him when he was one as they were going to put him to sleep!!!!! The vet has always said that he was stressed - hence the weeing.
Now he is being sick quite a bit. Not every day but at least twice a week. We haven't changed his food. What could this be? What tests should I ask the vet for?
I have to log off now to get the tea ready but will be back later and would be glad of any help/suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now