Teeth and tartar control

(6 Posts)
Snog Fri 25-Jan-13 19:17:42

I have a 6 year old rescue cat who has tartar and red gums on her back teeth.
I've been trying Plaque Off but no noticeable improvement after 2 months.
We have been using the TD Diet as 1/3 of her food intake and I'm not convinced this is going to help tbh

Are these treatments a big waste of money or has anyone had sucess with them? I've been told my kitty will need an anesthetic and a scrape if her teeth don't improve sad

Bunbaker Fri 25-Jan-13 19:41:25

One of our cats had problems with tartar. If untreated it causes gingivitis and then the poor cat can't eat. He used to go to the vet once a year for a GA and teeth scrape. It is the better option believe me.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 25-Jan-13 22:53:20

None of the foods or tooth treatments will get rid of existing tartar. They are excellent at preventing tartar from forming in the first place.
The only way to get rid of existing tartar is a scale and polish under general anaesthetic.

Snog Fri 25-Jan-13 22:57:56

Why do the vets tell you to try all that expensive other gubbins then I wonder

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 25-Jan-13 23:06:12

Me I only suggest that stuff after the dental. Though I have fed a teeth friendly diet to my kitties since they were babies and they have beautiful shiny teeth all the better to bite me with.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 26-Jan-13 08:38:41

What's a teeth friendly diet? Is it maize free for the Bengal with issues around maize?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now