Bengals - any views?

(28 Posts)
merlincat Fri 25-Jan-13 08:42:33

Considering a kitten. We live on a quiet street, have a garden and reasonably big house. We have a 7year old Siamese - typical temperament- and 4 year old Burmese - boisterous and can be stroppy. Any words of wisdom?

OhBuggerandArse Fri 25-Jan-13 08:49:35

Someone in my family has one. It is loved, cared for impeccably, lives in ideal conditions - but it is an incredible nuisance, remarkably stupid and ridiculously demanding. Looks nice, though.

Maximilimum Fri 25-Jan-13 09:02:43

They are beautiful but hard work, can also be quite aggressive.
May not get on with your other cats, remember cats are naturally solitary creatures, they will often tolerate each other but that's often as far as it goes!

Bengals are also much closer to their 'wild' relations than other domestic breeds.

Everyone I have known has been very demanding. Definately do your research and try and meet a few adults.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 25-Jan-13 14:51:34

They are very demanding. But very affectionate and lap loving too. But very demanding. And loud. And persistent. 45 minutes of yowling to go out persistent.

I'm pretty sure it will try and rule the roost too. If your other cats think they are in charge it could be trouble. They fight mean too, proper rolling around fur flying biting the neck fighting.

Mines not aggressive but if he decides you are not holding him then he will win, and you end up with scratches. Luckily he's calming down now at 4. Dh tried to get him in one night when he was little and came back with no cat, a torn t shirt, a bleeding hand and a bleeding stomach.

Mine can open doors, cupboards and is working on slidey door mechanics.

You'll need to get them checked for heart problems at the vets.

ratflavouredjelly Sun 03-Feb-13 22:44:41

I have a Bengal kitten, she looks beautiful. but is mad as a box of frogs. Annoyingly, (which my last moggy didn't do) - she keeps trying to eat the kids dinner. She keeps jumping up on the kitchen side, table, window and keeps sitting in the sink and actually likes water.
I think it's because they were originally descended from Asian leopards who hunted for fish in water.

Wouldn't be without her though - and is marvellous with my 4 and 5 year olds. She patiently lets herself be carried around by them and loves the attention.

Corygal Tue 05-Feb-13 09:35:57

Completely adorable, very human (talk loads, super-sociable) and very funny. They retrieve!

Daysies Tue 05-Feb-13 20:24:23

We've recently got a bengal kitten too, he is lovely but like others have said he is a demanding little monster! The loudest cries at the moment are when I have a box of food in my hands, its open but I haven't got it in the bowl yet usually because kitten already has his head in the bowl/ is sat on the bowl/climbing up my leg to help himself because I'm not fast enough for his liking.

Oh and he has a special miaow for 'I need to poop' and he has to convey this to every family member in the house before he goes to his tray, and then we get a running commentary of events.

Goes something like:

'I can see the tray'
'Yup, thats the tray'
'Ok, I'm going in'
'and out again, my entrance was ALL WRONG'
'Muuuum, the door looks weird'
'Ok, ill be brave'
'I'm In!!!!'
'Digging a hole now'
'not a good hole, digging another one'
'DID YOU HEAR OTHER CAT COMING?????'
'he might steal my poop'
'finished digging now!!'
<insert random grunts and ominous noises here>

Then we have mad zooms around the house as he's obviously feeling much better, but the 'chatting' about the litter box ritual often takes him 10 minutes.

Love him!

cozietoesie Tue 05-Feb-13 20:38:44

If anyone is inspired by this, the Northern Siamese Rescue (who sometimes get other breeds as well) have a 6 year old male Bengal looking for a home.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 05-Feb-13 21:01:55

I can't see him on the website. Could you link?

Yes, we have the zooming around post wee and poo. After the half hour of nagging to go out, when he knows he can't go out in the morning here.

cozietoesie Tue 05-Feb-13 21:10:06

Link below, fluffy. He's the top one on the candidate list. He's available to the North of England. Looks a bit full of himself but what a gorgeous boy!

bengal for homing

smile

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 05-Feb-13 21:18:27

I don't reckon that he's really pet quality ie looking at his build and size I'd imagine he's closer to the original Asian leopard cat/moggie mating and is difficult to handle.

I'll go on Bengal cat forum and spread the word. I've already got one furry tyrant who can now open all doors incl sliding doors.

Those ears have seen some action haven't they? I wonder if he was neutered?

Poor little thing.

cozietoesie Tue 05-Feb-13 21:26:27

I was wondering myself whether he might be an f2 or f3. If you could spread a word or two that would be great, fluffy. He's been there for a few weeks if I recall.

Thanks

smile

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 05-Feb-13 21:29:55

Legs are too long, we went to a Bengal show and I thought they were all kittens, the only one as big as ours was an un-neutered Tom, honestly they are coming out tiny these days.

I did put another rescue on their years ago and got lots of good responses, he got homed soon after.

cozietoesie Wed 06-Feb-13 11:19:15

He's gone from the rescue's page this morning, fluffy, so looks like he's been found a home. You can relax.

smile

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 06-Feb-13 15:47:18

Oh that's good, someone must have already been in the process of adopting him.

I may get flamed for saying this, but why not a cross breed?

We've a Bengal cross who is now five...she has many of the Bengal traits, including loving water (will chase the hose and watering can around the garden and 'fish' for my toes in the bath!), she's really loving, attentive, 'chatty'. Sh does love to roam far (and across a main road) to hunt and we have got used to a wide variety of animals being brought in, dead, maimed or alive and was quite a handful as a kitten (up the curtains!). But brilliant fun, safe with babies, runs off if squealing toddlers are around (knows whats good for her!) and is supersoft and is good for a game of tin-foil-ball-football in the kitchen. And now she's five she is mellowing more.

My mum's neighbors have full Bengals and they've had a lot more problems with dominance, fighting, getting into people's cars/vans and being driven away etc.

HTH. smile

Bakingtins Wed 06-Feb-13 18:09:23

They are beautiful but they have not worked hard enough on breeding the leopard out. I'm a vet, they are all a nightmare as soon as you want to do anything at all with them.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 06-Feb-13 20:36:37

sad

Vets aren't mean to bengals or rough with them though, are they?

My vet wanted to keep my Bengal after he'd been hit by a car and had to stay in all week. Said he was the most affectionate cat he'd come across and all the staff adored him.

All cats are different, but I think bengals are more dog like than most. he loves being around you and comes on walks. Mines a T5 - so 5 generations removed from a wild cat. He's playful but not at all aggressive.

scarlettsmummy2 Wed 06-Feb-13 20:46:45

We have had two, they were both stunning. The second one unfortunately was very jealous of my baby, so I wouldn't recommend if you have very young children.

Lostonthemoors Wed 06-Feb-13 20:53:41

I rehomed a Bengal who was being bullied by other bengals in the former owner's house. She was then timid, fearful and had been an indoor cat all her life.

After a few months in our flat she was bouncing around like a crazy thing - with a very lively personality! She was lovely but very very demanding.

We rehomed her on to a young couple with a huge house and massive garden and she has lived very happily there ever since, roaming around indoors and out.

cozietoesie Wed 06-Feb-13 20:57:10

I certainly wouldn't recommend them with a Siamese (and/or a Burmese - but I've never had Burmese so couldn't comment on those directly.) To get back to your original point merlincat. smile

A Siamese could 'take against' the nicest, most amiable and gentle cat in the world if it felt its nose was out of joint in some indefinable Siamese-type way. And Siamese won't back down from a fight.

From what I've heard, Bengals don't either?

So not worth the risk I'd have said. If your household works, merlin, I'd stick with what you know and love.

smile

Paiviaso Thu 07-Feb-13 11:46:24

I have two (pics in profile). I think they are lovely, but they are really not for everyone. They are energetic, muscular, vocal, and attentive.

Some thoughts: I do wonder if they are a bit more on the territorial side as a breed, and therefore settle in less well to a multi-cat household. Also, due to the fact they are a very athletic, strong cat, other cats might not appreciate the intense play sessions a bengal enjoys.

Each cat varies obviously, but I think you should ask what you would do if problems did arise. You don't want to get a bengal, only to rehome it.

BCF for further reading, if it hasn't been mentioned already.

cozietoesie Thu 07-Feb-13 11:59:19

Lovely two, paiviaso. That chicken looks remarkably confident by the way. (I'd have been running for the hills if I were it!)

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 07-Feb-13 12:00:25

Marble coats envy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now