Has anyone else got a Tonkinese?

(18 Posts)
larahusky Thu 17-Jan-13 20:33:39

I have a brother and sister for about 2 months and they are just the loveliest cats ever.

Sorry, very gushing post: just feeling full of love towards them and wondered if anyone else had one.

cozietoesie Thu 17-Jan-13 21:11:55

Never had one - but from the pics, I could easily go for them!

tonk pics

smile

larahusky Thu 17-Jan-13 21:37:53

They are just so relaxed. Loving and people centred - follow me round the house talking - but not neurotic. Maybe because they have each other.

VenusRising Fri 18-Jan-13 10:59:05

I have a single girl. She's just my baby! Follows me around and sleeps next to me. Not neurotic at all, just very sociable- I am her human.
I love that she jumps so high and will climb to the tops of the doors to survey her minions, will fetch, and talks and chirrups non stop.

What coat patterns do you have larahusky? Mine is Burmese variant solid blue with green eyes. So very silky too. <Preens!>

SparkyDudess Fri 18-Jan-13 11:01:39

They're beautiful, very much like old style Siamese - I had several of the heavier, less angular Siamese years ago, but they're hard to find now.

VenusRising Fri 18-Jan-13 11:08:12

They're a natural progression from Siamese cozietoesie!
All the vocals and crazy of the Siamese, with the adoration of the Burmese.
Not such an extreme pinch in the face as new Siamese, so a very healthy breed.

gazzalw Fri 18-Jan-13 11:14:44

We have a lovely girl. SHe is so good natured and gentle and almost feels like a third child...DD absolutely adores her and the feeling is mutual. Such a lovely, silky, sleek coat she has too. Mind you, she costs a fortune to feed as she is very fussy!

SparkyDudess Fri 18-Jan-13 12:07:39

Are they as doglike in nature as Siamese? Dh and I are at oddsv- I'd love another pair of kittens, but he wants them to be house cats like the last boys were. I felt cruel keeping them indoors as Siamese like to wander.

If tonkinese would be happy indoors they might well fit the bill. I miss my noisy boys.

cozietoesie Fri 18-Jan-13 12:15:15

In my experience, Siamese are quite happy to be house cats if they haven't been outside cats and can be with their people a lot. It depends on your home and work situation.

smile

gazzalw Fri 18-Jan-13 12:50:52

Our Tonkinese goes out to do her business and spends the rest of the time lounging indoors...even in the summer it's a struggle to get her to stay outside unless one is gardening in which case she is quite happy to sit and watch!

larahusky Fri 18-Jan-13 21:09:21

They are very busy cats. I have only had ours a couple of months and they have only just been neutered/speyed. I think if there were a pair they would probably be happy inside because they are very good at making their own entertainment!

I have a blue girl, very burmese shaped, but tiny and she has green eyes. And a more siamese (old style) boy with aqua eyes. He is chocolate tabby, ticked all over with the most lovely delicate stripy legs. I am very proud as you can tell.

Before that I had an Abyssinian (who I adored) and then her mother, but they both died very young from horrible illnesses (FIP) and I didn't want to get another one because I was scared of the same thing happening. These 2 are just more cuddly. Just the best of every world. They retrieve and play and talk but then they will just settle down and snuggle (which my last cats didn't do).

Sorry, I am getting gushy again....

larahusky Fri 18-Jan-13 21:11:17

venus, my girl has a very silky coat as well (not competing honestly, just saying...). They sound similar.

takeonboard Fri 18-Jan-13 21:24:41

I used to have a brother and a sister tonkinese. they are fab the perfect mix of breeds. My girl was very Burmese and the boy who was twice her size was very Siamese. They were very different in every way but absolutely inseperable, they slept curled around each other and even used to wash each other!

larahusky Fri 18-Jan-13 21:39:40

Takeonboard, exactly the same as mine. They love each other so much

VenusRising Fri 18-Jan-13 23:03:30

Oh how lovely!
My little Tonkie grooms my eyebrows for ages and then curls up right next to my face to sleep on the pillows.
I think in her mind I am another cat. She rests her paws on my neck. I've never had such an affectionate cat.
It's quite a strange feeling to be licked on the face though, and not for the faint hearted.... Her tongue is very raspy!

What do you feed your lovelies larahusky? Mine will only eat RC wet pouches at the moment. Very £££!

Are all our girls little blues with green eyes? How coincidental!

gazzalw Sat 19-Jan-13 11:06:11

Ours sleeps curled up next to our heads and snuggles in between us...And she does lick DW's face all the time...We often comment that she must think DW is a cat too....

When DW comes home from the school run with DD, our puss comes hurtling down the stairs and always accompanies one to the front door if someone knocks on it!

takeonboard Sat 19-Jan-13 13:00:33

aaw they are so affectionate to each other and to humans. I miss them and their many funny habits. We have a lovely cat/kitten now - not a Tonk - she is great but not half as affectionate as either of my Tonks.

larahusky Mon 21-Jan-13 21:25:36

I feed mine RC dry sensitive and minced chicken.

My last cat I had to feed RC sensitive pouches because she wouldn't eat dry food and was quite capable of starving herself to death until she got what she wanted! Very expensive...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now