Relentlessly knocked off feet and unsteadied by the cat....how do I fix it

(15 Posts)
cozietoesie Mon 21-Jan-13 15:28:32

Why ever should we think that?

grin

Corygal Mon 21-Jan-13 15:22:15

Thanks so much! We're getting a timer bowl today! In the daytime, smaller portions is the new normal for him now.

Had about 3 hours sleep thanks to Mr Cory enjoying a session of Wall of Death (chases round flat in small hours) when he was feeling a little peckish.

You don't think he could be a touch spoilt do you?

HollaAtMeBaby Fri 18-Jan-13 13:05:39

My parents have a cat who weighs 18 pounds and is always hungry so I feel your pain!

What about investing in one of those feeding bowls with a timer and setting it to open up and present Mr Cory with his breakfast 10 minutes before you get up?

cozietoesie Fri 18-Jan-13 13:03:30

PS - or divide his food up into smaller and more frequent portions and give him a supper?

cozietoesie Fri 18-Jan-13 13:02:33

You see Corygal - he's got you where he wants you. Get out from under the paw! It will mean a couple of days of sulking but it should help.

ProphetOfDoom Fri 18-Jan-13 13:01:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Corygal Fri 18-Jan-13 12:58:12

Tired out from the butting and tripping, see.

Corygal Fri 18-Jan-13 12:57:38

You are brilliant thanks. I am way too soft to spray my little fat friend with a water gun.

Cozie - I think I'd be shredded to a pulp if I didn't serve The Breakfast within nanoseconds of being woken (by kneading, patting, nipping and slapping. And very loud 'anticipatory purring'.)

At the moment he is snurring (snoring + purring) on my feet.

NatashaBee Thu 17-Jan-13 11:14:30

Spray him with a water gun? It sounds horrible, but cats are pretty smart, you'd probably only have to do it a couple of times before just the sight of the water gun deters him.

cozietoesie Thu 17-Jan-13 11:07:30

Ah - excellent. Doesn't solve the problem, though.

My only immediate thought is that this excitement is a food ritual for him now and maybe you should try to disassociate the giving of food from the antics - at the moment you're 'rewarding' them.

Maybe, for the next few mornings, try giving him nothing when he's performing and wait until he's settled down (probably in a sulk) until you produce the bowl? See if you get any slight change in behaviour.

I'll muse some more, though.

smile

Corygal Thu 17-Jan-13 10:53:59

He only did one grab this morning, bless him. Waited till I stumbled past and seized my nightshirt from behind, dangling off it so he could bite my leg.

Corygal Thu 17-Jan-13 10:52:44

He sleeps in my arms, I am pleased to say. But he gets excited for breakfast!

cozietoesie Thu 17-Jan-13 05:57:53

Where does he sleep Corygal? I'm thinking that if he was to sleep in your bedroom he might ease off on the morning greetings just a tad because he'll have had all night with you.

TheSilveryTinsellyPussycat Wed 16-Jan-13 22:39:30

Sad that what he intends as a greeting is a danger. You could try hissing at him, every time he comes towards your legs. They don't bear grudges for long and you can still cuddle him somewhere safe to make up for it?

Corygal Wed 16-Jan-13 21:52:30

before he kills us both. I have a balance disorder. The crim is Mr Cory, the vast tabby I cherish. But his butting, tripping, nipping and knocking at my legs first thing every morning is beginning to frighten me.

I hate, hate, being sent lurching again and again when I'm blind with sleep and desperate for the loo - loathe cracking my face on a cupboard in the tiny kitchen as he lunges for me - and dread twisting my spine repeatedly and painfully as I try to stay upright while manoeuvring round the flat. I can't even get up from the sofa in the evenings without moving my legs over the side so I can get both feet steady on the floor.

How do I control him? I really am getting worried he will send me flying and one or both of us will be properly hurt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now