i need to put my cat on a diet!

(28 Posts)

he is now 3 and is getting fatter and lazier by the day. we have 2 other cats who are just right (they are both girls) and are both a lot more active than him. they all get fed the same amount, a tin a day between them in 2 meals plus a small amount of bikkies.

any tips for getting a big fluffy cat to be more as active and to lose weight?
tagrin grin

Bonbonchance Sat 19-Jan-13 13:49:37

My cat was 6.3kg at her heaviest blush and is almost at her 4.5kg target! She is a big cat though. Vet advised me to cut down her dry food especially over time and she gets the equivalent of a pouch a day split into 3 meals and a small amount of dry food (Go Cat indoor) in a SlimCat (!) ball or hidden around the place. Minimal treats too. She's always hungry though but giving her small meals more often has helped.

She's quite lazy too, won't go outside, cat nip used to help get get more active but not so much now. I changed her food to Bozita a few months ago and she's much more active so might be worth a try feeding your cat higher quality food if you're not already? And finding what toys they like - mine will now & again play with actual cat toys but her favourites are plastic bottle tops to kick about and plastic bendy straws(plus finding stuff like pens, make up brushes, tops from things to steal & knock around!)

PolterGoose Sat 26-Jan-13 14:00:54

My cat has been on a diet too. I was advised by both the Blue Cross, where we adopted him from, and the vet to feed him to his ideal weight. It seems to work.

Do keep an eye on your cat having diet food though, I tried it and it made mine constipated and dehydrated sad

thanks for the advice pg.

fat fluffy is a strange cat. he is a rescue cat. we got him when he was one.

he oddest habit is to jump in the bath, I have to put the plug in and some water so he can drink.

I caught him drinking my bedside water the other morning hmm

I'll weigh him before tea and update latergrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now