Persian kitten?

(8 Posts)
umiaisha Tue 01-Jan-13 21:36:20

Fantastic advice, thanks very much. We are going to go with a persian, so no doubt will be back asking more questions soon!

quanticovirginia Mon 31-Dec-12 00:39:09

We have a boy Persian who is six months old today smile.

After the initial kitten madness he is so laid back and gentle. I have an 8 and 12 year old. Initially the 8 year was petrified of him as he was not used to animals but has now gone to the opposite extreme and is always wanting the pick him up and stroke him. Thankfully cat is incredibly patient with him and hasn't once bitten or scratched when he's started tickling or stroking him just when he's settled down for a nap.

He does need brushing every day and he has been brushed daily almost from day one. Consequently he loves being brushed and lifts his head up and purrs so you can do under his neck. Really good at the vets too. Not aggresive with anyone.

IAmNotAReindeer Mon 31-Dec-12 00:20:40

Our girl was fantastic. She was patient with the kids and knew how to enforce her boundaries.

She would only let the older ones pick her up and slapped the younger ones around if they tried it. Claws in at first graduating to a slap with her paw left at the site, slowly extending claws to let them know she was serious. Worked a treat.

She too hated the vets but was good in tha she climbed up me and clung to me but also allowed herself to be examined.

She was vocal and announced her entrance and exit to every room and loved cuddles. Of a night she would pick someones head to try to replace on top of their sholders as they slept and spent all night trying to acheive this aim.

She died almost a year ago at the grand old age of 13.

Karbea Sat 29-Dec-12 22:02:43

I've three and they are all different. My boy is like a lap dog, wants to sit on my lap all day and follows me around chatting, apart from when he is bringing in mice for me. The two girls are either asleep or demanding food.

But I agree about the grooming, my three have to be knocked out at the vets three times a year and all but one of them looks scruffy the rest of the time.

Mibby Sat 29-Dec-12 21:46:09

My persian girl, now 11, is very highly strung, very nervous, moults/sheds a lot and wont go near DD (2) or any visitors, even my parents and in laws who have been lots of times.
My 2 mixed breed boys are cuddly, friendly and love DD/ visitors.
If you do get a long haired cat the I would suggest you get them used to proper thorough brushing at an early age, clipping is expensive and its hard to find anyone who does cats. Mine has to be clipped 4 times a year after we nearly lost her to heat stroke in the summer.

umiaisha Sat 29-Dec-12 21:42:03

Thats great, thanks. Better chuck out most of my wardrobe then!!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 29-Dec-12 21:40:01

Had 3 of them. Pretty laid back with us but bitey at the vets.

I think most cats are good with kids, they seem to understand they are kids and to be patient.

You won't wear black for 15 years unless you buy a black one!

umiaisha Sat 29-Dec-12 21:26:36

OH and I are seriously considering getting one. We have 2 children - DD 6 and DS 20 months and from the little research we have done it would seem that they are a laid back, lazy breed that are good with children.

Would really appreciate some feedback from mums who have experience with the breed.

Many thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now