What is it with cats & bleach?

(11 Posts)
Horsemad Wed 26-Dec-12 17:01:04

I read that cats are attracted to bleach. My cat rolls all over the floor after it's been washed with a weak bleach solution.

Wonder if I should just change to hot water and a dab of washing up liquid instead?

MrsSandyClaws Wed 26-Dec-12 12:39:00

Our boy cat is not bothered in the slightest by bleach. Our girl cat will happily chew your arm off and dribble all over you just for a sniff!

cozietoesie Sun 23-Dec-12 08:45:13

Okey cokey.

I'm real careful with bleach in any case because it's such a disaster ecologically. Cat trays in this house are always washed only with hot water and minimum detergent. Seniorboy (whose official 18th birthday is on Xmas Day) is fine with the current regime.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 23-Dec-12 07:59:27

We don't know what form the bleach was in it was our best guess myself having seen several cats who licked up hypochlorite mixed with milk as the bulk milk tank is washed out on dairy farms.

cozietoesie Sun 23-Dec-12 00:30:14

Yikes, Lone. Was that neat bleach or was it (to the best of your knowledge) just from something that had - maybe - been wiped with a bleach and water solution, say?

Our boy goes mental for the stuff! Rolling around on my nicely new clean bathroom floor, crazy kitty. We've recently acquired a newest member to the Freud family ( a 4 year old girl cat) and shes taken no notice of it at all. I wonder if it affects boy cats more maybe?

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 22-Dec-12 23:00:58

Be very careful if they lick it it can cause the top surface of their tongue to slough off. We treated a cat earlier this week for this 48 hours on s drip and 72 hours in the surgery being fed special food.

cozietoesie Sat 22-Dec-12 17:20:40

It's apparently to do with something in the smell resembling something in cats' urine - ammonia maybe? - and they're trying to superimpose their own smell on top of it. But I'm no expert. Someone else may know the facts of it.

lubeybooby Sat 22-Dec-12 17:08:18

One of mine rubs all over the floor if I've cleaned it with even the tiniest drop of bleach in the water, the other two aren't bothered. Wonder if it might be an olfactory system thing like catnip that some are immune to

Sunnywithachanceofjinglebells Sat 22-Dec-12 16:49:29

My tom loves the smell of bleach. I read somewhere that the smell is much like the smell of a female cat in mating season - but I can't remember where I read it so don't take my word for it!

MrsJingleBells74 Sat 22-Dec-12 14:40:30

Every time I've been messing around with the Milton's my cats try to eat my fingers afterwards. They don't normally.

Also when I used to go swimming both mine & my brother's cats used to chew my wet hair afterwards. Am I alone in knowing bleach loving cats or has anyone else experienced this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now