Advice please. Not sure what to do re holiday...

(16 Posts)
MrsWolowitz Mon 26-Nov-12 21:18:13

I'm going in holiday next week for 5 nights.

I have a rescue cat that I got back in April. She's lovely and I love her to bits.

I hated the thought of putting her in a cattery so a couple if friends have agreed to come in and feed her every day. She's really affectionate so they've said the will spend a few evenings here with her.

Will this be ok? I'm worried that she might run away to go looking for us. She's my first cat as I've always had dogs so maybe I'm over-thinking things.

Will it be ok? Does this sound like a good plan?

Milliways Mon 26-Nov-12 21:27:37

She will be fine! In her own home, having the food she is used to and friendly people making a fuss now & then.

Enjoy your holiday, and bring back a pressie for the friends smile

NatashaBee Mon 26-Nov-12 21:28:51

I think she'll be happier in her own home - we always have cat sitters come to our house rather than put the cats into a cattery.

glitch Mon 26-Nov-12 21:30:19

I used to just leave mine and have someone come in each day / every other day to feed them. They might get a bit grumpy about being left but nothing like as stressed as they would get going into a cattery.

issey6cats Mon 26-Nov-12 21:33:06

she will be fine i have grown up children who come in and feed my mob and though they sulk for a couple of hours after i get back they are always ok

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 26-Nov-12 22:33:19

How is she with strangers? Does she view your her home as her first safe place?
Years of needy cat experience and I went and made a huge mistake when I went away in the summer. The tail less wonder had settled into her forever home, but had not really thought about the fact that strangers freaked her out and that she viewed her forever home as her first ever really safe place. Got friend to come in and feed cats big big mistake. I returned to one truly terrified kitty a stranger had kept coming into her safe place.
She would have been better in the cattery as she would have not had her safe place repeatedly invaded without me there.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 26-Nov-12 22:34:05

How is she with strangers? Does she view your her home as her first safe place?
Years of needy cat experience and I went and made a huge mistake when I went away in the summer. The tail less wonder had settled into her forever home, but had not really thought about the fact that strangers freaked her out and that she viewed her forever home as her first ever really safe place. Got friend to come in and feed cats big big mistake. I returned to one truly terrified kitty a stranger had kept coming into her safe place.
She would have been better in the cattery as she would have not had her safe place repeatedly invaded without me there.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 26-Nov-12 22:34:25

Sorry for double post.

BobblyGussets Mon 26-Nov-12 22:40:28

I am interested in this too OP. We got our rescue moggy in September and although he seems very happy and settled, I wonder whether he will miss company if we went away. Our cat is a bit dog like, in that he comes when you call him, will chase after a ball and tends to prefer to be in the rooms we are in, rather than alone. I though he would prefer a cattery and that he would be lonely home alone...

sashh Tue 27-Nov-12 09:13:27

Get the friends to visit and feed her before you go, that should reassure her.

MinkyWinky Tue 27-Nov-12 10:35:29

We had the same dilemma early this year when we left our adoptive cats for the first time. Like you I couldn't bear the thought of leaving them at the cattery.

Luckily we found a lovely cat sitter, who comes in twice a day and spoils both of them rotten. We do however lock the catflap when we're away as we normally lock it at night and because of timings we couldn't be sure they'd be back when the cat sitter came round.

We've been away for a range of two nights to two weeks and they don't seem at all stressed when we get back. (They don't even sulk, which I was surprised about smile )

MrsWolowitz Tue 27-Nov-12 10:48:54

Thanks everyone.

I think it'll be fine.

She's such a slob that she hardly goes out, only to leave poo in my flower bed then she comes back in and stays in.

I feel really guilty about leaving her!

I'm with lonecat, I put ours into a feline advisory board approved cattery so I know he isn't going to run away or get injured while we are on hol.

They have vet cover and make a real fuss of him which he repays by ignoring them.

Bonbonchance Wed 28-Nov-12 12:16:18

I left my (very nervous with new people, past rescue cat) at home and got someone to come in to feed her. Reports back were that the first day she hid, them obviously she realised they were no threat and were feeding her, so she came round and within a few days was waiting for them at the door, and jumping all over them. My friend brought her boyfriend a few times who was nervous about cats, and they had a lovely time bonding smile I saw it as being good for both of them!

I had no issues with poo or pee in inappropriate places, apart from once a poo in the living room (about the 5th time she'd been left for extended times so I'm thinking she just got confused or didn't think her tray was clean enough grin. Mine doesn't really go outside though, so that wasn't a problem. I think she enjoys having the place to herself tbh!

ratbagcatbag Wed 28-Nov-12 19:35:36

I take mine to the cattery but only because she's an attention seeking madam and if you're not in she deems any random neighbour/stranger or delivery person fully acceptable to follow, everyone knows her now and she does the paper rounds and post rounds but if we don't cone home she starts venturing further and getting lost. For my peace of mind she goes to an excellent cattery and sulks for a day when she comes back smile

ratbagcatbag Wed 28-Nov-12 19:36:41

She was a stray too if that helps, never left when paws were firmly embedded under the table.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now