New kitten on it's way to our home. Help!

(15 Posts)
stookiesackhouse Tue 20-Nov-12 23:38:46

Cats obv feel safer when they have access to heights :-) My kitten loves her cat tree - one of the best things I bought for her.

It's so cute when they wear themselves out through playing. I remember my kitten arriving, playing like mad for half an hour then going into her new bed and was snoring away.

Hope you and dc's have lots of fun smile

Unacceptable Tue 20-Nov-12 22:08:18

grin

LadyMaryCrawley Tue 20-Nov-12 22:00:17

She's definitely got you all wrapped around her paw then!

Our wee boy just loved the gap between the books and the bookshelf. Then he got too big for it and nearly got stuck...

Unacceptable Tue 20-Nov-12 21:49:43

Yes LadyM her bed is a hidey space and everyone has been told when she goes in there she's after some peace so they must leave her alone, she also seems to like the gap between the books and the bookshelf...perhaps the kids really have made her like books!!

LadyMaryCrawley Tue 20-Nov-12 21:37:29

Aw. Sounds like kitty has a lovely home!

Has she got a hiding place, in case she wants a bit of peace?

cozietoesie Tue 20-Nov-12 20:27:42

Sounds all good, Unacceptable. Well done to the DCs for their patience - they'll be the best readers in their age groups soon! (Love what you said to them - I'm sure others might take that up.)

smile

Unacceptable Tue 20-Nov-12 20:20:57

Thank you all for the replies, they were very helpful.
Wouldn't have thought to check about what litter or food she was used to so that was really good advice.
She's been here a couple of hours now and is part of family already. The DC have been very patient with her even though they were desperate to scoop her up! The youngest 2 didn't quite understand why they couldn't play so we told them kittens are shy but love stories and they sat reading to her for ages, so adorable!

She's eaten, drank, napped twice, had some bursts of playing and been to litter for a wee... so far, so good. She seems to like everything we bought for her and looks so sweet snuggled in her bed.

We were told kittens miss mummy so to put a small ticking clock in her bed which we have done so hopefully she wont pine too much.

Thanks again for the helpful comments, much appreciated!

stookiesackhouse Tue 20-Nov-12 16:51:14

*my not me smile

stookiesackhouse Tue 20-Nov-12 16:50:22

Lots of toys smile And yes to same litter as kitten is used to - and food. Lady at Cats Protection advised me to feed me kitten Royal Canin Kitten 36 as it's really good quality. I order the 4kg bags from zooplus and it lasts ages. I also feed her a couple of teaspoons of tuna on a morning and on a night - but I didn't do that until she was about 16 weeks...

Have fun smile

cozietoesie Tue 20-Nov-12 16:24:17

And never forget the good old favourite - the big empty cardboard box! They love those.

smile

Madmog Tue 20-Nov-12 15:21:29

As mentioned it's a good idea to continue with the same type of cat litter, also cat food which is familiar and to save any tummy problems transferring quickly over to a new brand.

My two loved pong balls (Pets @ Home do pink ones) when they were young, in fact, my boy still does. We were woken up on the first morning to the sound of them running around their room after the balls.

Hope all goes well with your new arrival. Any ideas for a name yet?

HappyTurquoise Mon 19-Nov-12 23:11:44

Hows it going? grin

Your kitten might already have a favourite type of toy...One of ours likes dangly things (he still loves to be lifted up to play with the light pulls, and he's heavy! The other one loves sticks, folded crisp packets and balled up pipe cleaners. She fetches them and brings them back to be thrown again.)

Oh! ...Remember kittens teethe too! They really loose their first teeth. (We found our second kitten's tooth in first cat's fur! hmm )

Keep taking photos. Most of them will be a blur though.

Neither of ours liked the cat bed we have, both now have their own (self coloured) blankets which they love.

Find out what cat litter she is used to. We brought one of ours home and he had only used pine litter in the past and wouldn't use anything else. Also find out what food she is used to and feed her that. All mine are intolerant of milk so check if she has had that in the past as kitten throwing up is no fun.

Ponders Mon 19-Nov-12 23:00:32

have you got a carrier to bring her home in (& take her to the vet in?)

maybe a few toys - balls, dangly things, squeaky things?

otherwise it sounds comprehensive, I'm sure you'll all be besotted within moments smile

Unacceptable Mon 19-Nov-12 21:39:48

We have agreed to take on a kitten. 8 weeks old. We have been talking about getting a cat for a couple of years now and when asked if we could offer this little girl a home we jumped at chance.

The house is ready for her ( I think ) we've decided which room should be 'hers' and have bed, food bowls, scratching post, litter tray. We've kitty proofed the room so it is safe for her. The DC have been instructed to give her space for a couple of days. I have appointment at vets tomorrow to set up a care plan and arrange her initial injections.

What am I forgetting? Any advice, hints or tips would be most welcome.

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now