Tolerating a cat allergy

(6 Posts)
Cailleach Sat 10-Nov-12 08:53:00

My dad is fearsomely allergic to my sister's cat, but not to either of mine. Strange innit?

Hattie11 Fri 09-Nov-12 22:06:00

Petal cleanse sounds right!

It was a lotion when I bought it 9 or more years ago and yea I used disposable gloves to apply it. Try it out it definitely helped me.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 09-Nov-12 20:56:55

Have you tried petal wipes?.

It took dh about three weeks to get used to the cat. I wouldn't have wanted to re-home either, no where takes husbands.

Adversecamber Fri 09-Nov-12 20:01:11

I think the thing is I feel so terrible that I can't stroke her freely. She brushed up against my legs twice today and I didn't think about washing them and had to have a anti histamine as I felt as if my throat was closing up. The relief from the anti histamine was within a couple of minutes. She follows me around a lot and miaows at me, DS adores her and she tends to sit on his lap every evening now. I will ask about that spray on lotion, thanks for that.

I am also so suprised as I have had cats before.
I'm even considering buying some disposable gloves so I can stroke her!

Hattie11 Fri 09-Nov-12 19:41:12

I am allergic to cats but somehow have one as a pet? I avoid stroking her and if I do wash my hands straight away. She had dp and our 4 dcs to pet her so she doesn't miss out.
When we first got her I bought a lotion from chemist and used to put it on her once a week it worked really well. Sorry can't remember name of it but ask in your local chemist, it kills the allergens I think.
If I dostroke her within minutes I'm sneezing and eyes swell unlessvivwash straight away. Hairs around the house don't bother me only if she's managed to get upstairs sneakily and sleep on my bed. But our furniture is all leather I think that helps as hairs don't stick to it. Hoover plenty and I seem fine.

Adversecamber Fri 09-Nov-12 19:32:37

We got our beautiful cat last week, I have kept cats before and lived with three others.

I appear to be having a problem with our little cat and have had a sore throat that feels tickly and almost full of fluff on and off all week. I now seem a bit chesty.

I have had a look on the web and hear that some people can build up a tolerance. I am asking if anyone has any experience of this and if so how long was it ? I am not ashmatic.

I am so worried we may have to rehome her and she is perfect for us and I would like to think we are for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now