8 months old cat/kitten? and he's just lost his brother

(8 Posts)
cartblanche Fri 09-Nov-12 01:01:09

thanks everyone - typed a reply earlier and then Mumsnet went offline. We buried him this morning and didn't show his brother the body - sorry I missed this bit of advice. Will try and get that plug-in. Can imagine the remaining brother liking a companion but can't bear the idea at the moment. He's cuddled up to my DS for the night.

bitweepy Thu 08-Nov-12 08:53:45

So, so sorry - we went through this a couple of years ago and it is heart-breaking, especially seeing your DCs so devastated. I second the idea of letting your cat see his brother's body if at all possible. We did this and it really seemed to help him as he never actually seemed to be looking for his brother after that. The same thing happened with two other cats years ago and it was not possible to do it then and the surviving cat definitely struggled for longer, although she did recover in the end. I would also suggest getting another kitten/young cat as soon as you can - it will help your DCs and give your cat some company. Good luck - thinking of you.

Purpleknickers Thu 08-Nov-12 08:47:20

Hi carteblanche I had exactly the same thing happen to me in May this year, I was heartbroken and a big bit of me still is, anyhow the boy that was left behind did mourn and did spend a couple of weeks looking for his brother and meowing woefully when he couldn't find him.

A kind mumsnetter on my thread recommended feliway plug ins to calm him a bit and they really helped, after that couple of weeks he just seemed to adapt and get on with things. I wish you luck and I am so sorry for your loss

Missmuffet28 Thu 08-Nov-12 08:13:11

Poisioning damn auto correct*

Missmuffet28 Thu 08-Nov-12 08:12:39

I had two brother cats, one died of positioning at 9months his brother did mourn him for ages, went from playful scatty cat to sit and sleep and look sad cat, I left it for a few months but he just wasn't the same cat, maybe I read too much into it maybe he had just grown up a bit, but anyhow I got him a new play mate, they got along beautifully and new kitty was more of an indoor cat, then one day in the middle of the night I heard a cat commotion outside, new kitty had got out the window in the night, judging by the amount of grey fur on the patio had a fight and had run off never to be seen again sad
I sobbed for weeks and I think due to my heart being broken twice I couldn't get another one but big brother cat seemed fine this time anyway its a few years on now and my original boy is more affectionate than ever and plays with the dog instead so all in all I think just give it time unless you really want to replace his friend x

sashh Thu 08-Nov-12 08:02:52

I am wondering if there's anything we can do to ease the stress of the surviving brother?

This might be too late but if you show him his brother's body he will be fine. I don't know why this is, but it is advice from Cats Protection so should be right.

MortimersRaven Thu 08-Nov-12 02:45:47

Oooh so sad to read your post, OP sad

Sorry as I don't know anything about cats but I'm sure someone will be along soon with some good advice.

thanks

cartblanche Thu 08-Nov-12 02:12:42

So sad. One of our cats has just been killed by a car. Didn't suffer for long by all accounts and was stroked and taken from the middle of the road by a very kind and caring lady. He was a lovely cat and I'd posted on here a few months ago when we first got him, about how his brother used to try and "suckle" off him. We are left with the soppier cat whilst we've lost the brother who was more of a "human" cat - he'd always seek you out and snuggle up purring on your lap and he actually followed my children to school and onto the playground. he caused quite a stir and was "well known" for being so friendly.

Anyway, we have his brother remaining and he's sleeping now but was miaowing earlier to go out. We feel it's not a good idea to let him out for the next few days because we feel he is looking for his brother and might wander too far and get lost. Our children don't want us to let him out EVER but we've explained that that would be cruel (as he's used to going outdoors now)

I am wondering if there's anything we can do to ease the stress of the surviving brother? I think he's going to be majorly upset if we don't let him out the next few days. Anyone been through this and got any tips? they were very close -would cuddle up and groom each other - there was lots of play-fighting but all very playful - they never jostled for dominance and it all seemed very even-stevens.

I am absolutely gutted. We got them as kittens to "replace" our lovely 8 year old cat that we lost earlier in the year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now