Concerned about a little Kitty

(22 Posts)
XandaPanda Wed 07-Nov-12 22:13:54

I have just taken in 2 six week old Kittens that had been abandoned, I have only had them since Sunday night.
I already have one cat who has taken his role as big brother quite quickly.
Now my concern is the behaviour of one of the kittens as she seems so unhappy and is very shy/timid and starts to shake and sometimes cries when I handle her, she seems to be eating ok and I have just treated them both for fleas and worms (the squirty stuff on the back of the necks), the other girl is absolutely fine in her behaviour.
I really don't know what to do as she is so unhappy so any advice would be fab

XandaPanda Wed 07-Nov-12 22:29:15

Oh no just managed to hold her and I can see fleas crawling all over her,what should I do the poor things

issey6cats Wed 07-Nov-12 22:31:36

dont worry its only been a few days just give her lots of gentle handling cuddle close into your body and be confident she will realse that you are not going to hurt her and should gain confidence she is young enough to come round , i have turned round feral born foster kittens of this age and usually by the second week they are climbing on my lap for attention

issey6cats Wed 07-Nov-12 22:33:13

for the fleas you can see get a flea comb or kids nit comb and a cup with water and washing up liquid in it drop the fleas straight into the water the washing up liquid drowns them as they cant breathe

XandaPanda Wed 07-Nov-12 22:36:54

Will try this tomorrow thanks , how effective will it be though as they are Rag Doll kittens sad

issey6cats Wed 07-Nov-12 22:40:41

no different for short or long haired kittens and by tommorow morning hopefully the spray stuff will have started to kill some of the live fleas aww they sound georgous love ragdolls and get some soft furniture spray aswell and lightly spray this in the area they have slept as fleas lay eggs continually so you dont get a repeat when the eggs lay

Comb as often as she will allow and spray ur home. Fleas on such young kittens can be fatal sad

She's young and probably traumatized she just needs time to get used to things. Carry on being kind like u r and she will learn to trust you. Having said that rag folks are apparently so placid u can throw them across a room and they stay there ( was written in a cat book have never thrown a cat!!) do I would keep
An eye in the behaviour for sure. She may need a vet. sad

Rag dolls

XandaPanda Wed 07-Nov-12 23:09:47

Have already tried bob martin flea drops and they don't seem to of had any effect , will get some spray tomorrow and a comb .
Oh n there is some pics on my profile of them if you would like a peek,think I will ring the vet tomorrow also as id be devastated if anything happened to them .
Can anybody recommend a good flea spray as I have already got two bombs

issey6cats Wed 07-Nov-12 23:25:14

bob martin is useless wont work get stuff from the vets either frontline or advocate the vet will reccomend which is the best one at the moment and it will work fast off to have a look at baby cats

issey6cats Wed 07-Nov-12 23:26:48

awwww is coming to yours to steal them they are adorable and your older cat is georgous too

Six weeks unfortunately is too young for most treatments do please don't use anythin without being done by a vet. They may well have a spray they can use that is safe in kittens. Agree frontline is the best. Comb her for now alot and get her to a vet as soon as possible as she may be within a weight range for something they could use.

XandaPanda Thu 08-Nov-12 07:34:32

Thanks I have them booked in at the vets next Tuesday for a check up

Can u liaise with a vet in the meantime? Fleas can be serious. They usually happily speak to u on the phone . smile

XandaPanda Thu 08-Nov-12 10:02:27

Managed to get them in to see a vet today thanks

EdsRedeemingQualities Thu 08-Nov-12 10:05:35

No, please don't get frontline, it is widely known to be ineffectual now - fleas are often resistant to it. We changed to advocate when it stopped working for our cat and the fleas were gone in days.

Bob martin is no use at all obvs. as others have said.

Good luck, they sound gorgeous.

EdsRedeemingQualities Thu 08-Nov-12 10:06:32

also you can spray if you like but there's generally no need if the cats are treated as any hatching eggs will jump onto them and be terminated smile

Keep up with the treatments and you won't see any fleas.

SpookTheCat Thu 08-Nov-12 13:02:04

Hope all goes well, the kittens are so adorable!!

Most of the Bob Martin products are crap and the reviews for thier flea and worm treatment are seriously bad. People have reported thier animals being seriously ill and in some cases having thier pets dying after using them.

Most vets do not recommend Bob martin.

With kittens so young its probably best to use frontline spray (from the vets), i have used this in the past and it kills the fleas more or less straight away, but anyway i'm sure the vet will give you appropriate advice

I am guessing that the timid one is petrifed and will take a little time to come round. 6 weeks is very young and she probably doesnt understand what is going on.
you say they were abandoned was this out on the street or someone that had a mum cat who abandoned the kittens?
Have they had much handling?

Just keep reassuring her and she will soon settle in.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 08-Nov-12 14:11:22

Please anyone reading this dont use bob martin drop on, my friends cat nearly died after using it.

She only survived as my friend had to pop home for forgotton work documents and found her drooling going around in circles.

XandaPanda Thu 08-Nov-12 21:23:30

Took the girls to the vets today, they are not 6 weeks they are just naturally small kitties (iyswim) they are about 10 weeks old , the Vet gave me frontline and sold me some RIP flea's which i have gone over the house with and im also going to use a couple of flea bombs tomorrow to be extra safe just hope it works

Glad u got them sorted smile

XandaPanda Thu 08-Nov-12 21:45:59

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now