Blowflies on catfood...please help before I faint

(7 Posts)
Corygal Thu 27-Sep-12 23:12:09

So I feed my beloved furry boy twice a day with wet food (prefers it). He likes having two goes at the dish abt 15 min apart.

During his intercoursal rest, vast and unwelcome hairy blowfly visitors from the rank takeaway 100 yards away invariably come and lay great clusters of yellow eggs all over his food. Unless I stand over the dish, which he doesn't like.

What can I do to stop passing out with horror at the clean-up job daily - it's almost October, for the love of God, and still I am retching daily, with eyes streaming, as another bowl goes down the loo. I am pretty phobic. What else can he eat?

I have wormed him, but should I do anything else for the poor little boy? I am worried it may be bad for his health.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 27-Sep-12 23:14:13

Are you feeding him outside?

If you are then feed him inside.

If already inside then how are the flies getting in? Shut the windows!

usualsuspect3 Thu 27-Sep-12 23:19:58

Can't you just give him a smaller amount each time and wash the dish in between.

cozietoesie Fri 28-Sep-12 08:12:44

By the way, have you mentioned the takeaway in passing to your local environmental health boys? Dustbins of stuff outside will inevitably give rise to some flies but it may be that their hygiene is not of the best. (Takeaways I have known etc.)

Corygal Fri 28-Sep-12 10:03:40

Yes I have - the envt health practically live there! Thanks. Is all this bad for my cat's health? He is FIV so I need to be extra-careful.

cozietoesie Fri 28-Sep-12 10:20:56

Blow flies (and then maggots) could possibly be problematic as well as unpleasant - not only for the cat but also for you and your family. I'd take even extra care with kitchen hygiene and I'd echo what usualsuspect3 said - small amounts of food, fresh bowl each time even if it's 5 or 6 a day. Be hyper about bowl and water freshness in other words.

And keep on at the EH guys! Take photos of the eggs if you see any because while you may not be able to actually prove anything, that takeaway is a likely candidate.

Good luck with it all.

issey6cats Fri 28-Sep-12 10:54:12

fly spray is pretty effective at killing the buggers, spray the room about an hour before you feed him his first meal and then there wont be any live flies to start with, keep windows closed so the flies dont come in, feed him smaller amounts each meal so he eats whats in the dish so flies have nothing to land on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now