Does my cat have separation anxiety?

(10 Posts)
ratbagcatbag Thu 20-Sep-12 09:55:37

My tortie is very clingy and loud and demanding, although after holidays she ignores us until she deems we've fussed her enough to consider returning affection.

I think it's just she's pleased to see you and is getting her missing weeks cuddles and attention in. smile

NiniLegsInTheAir Thu 20-Sep-12 09:47:23

I'm not very good at putting away clothes so there's always some around for her to lie on, gin. I'm actually having a clothes clearout so think I will put some aside for her when we go away again, good thinking smile

Gave her lots of fuss last night and followed Cozie's suggestion, she curled up next to me for about an hour for a cuddle and seemed very pleased.

It's occured to me that she might be super clingy right now due to change in weather, she hates when it gets cold!

gindrinker Wed 19-Sep-12 21:07:21

Do you have worn clothes you can leave on the bed or somewhere she can snuggle up with them?
They'll smell of you and reassure her.

NiniLegsInTheAir Wed 19-Sep-12 14:47:19

Thanks Cozie, a really good idea. And any excuse to put my feet up for 5 mins for a brew and biscuit!

cozietoesie Wed 19-Sep-12 14:36:25

If you think she's following you around too much at the height of her 'clinginess' (and you can spare 5-10 minutes) nip upstairs to the bedroom, relax on the bed with a book or mag, and allow her to cuddle up next to you or - really good - gently push her under the duvet. That way, she's safe and warm in a place that smells of you and is calming and relaxed. Then after 10 minutes, gently slide out and go downstairs. A few times of that and she'll just turn over and go back to sleep. Hopefully.

smile

NiniLegsInTheAir Wed 19-Sep-12 14:31:53

Thanks cozie. smile. She may well do, she's very sleek and long-limbed! She's definitely obsessed with me more than anyone else, although she will bond with my husband when allowed. When we're away from home I let her have the run of the house and she curls up on my pillow (judging by the hairs she leaves behind!). smile

cozietoesie Wed 19-Sep-12 14:20:54

Ah well - thought she might have some Siamese or other oriental in her. They all tend to be a bit obsessed with their special people. Only thing I can suggest is that you allow her to make her 'safe/comfort place' in your bed or bedroom so that she can retreat there and have a warm snooze under the duvet or something. That way you'll at least get some peace until she relaxes again.

Good luck with her, anyway.

smile

NiniLegsInTheAir Wed 19-Sep-12 14:13:15

She's just an ordinary moggy as far as I know (no records since she was abandoned), and she's a tortie. smile

cozietoesie Wed 19-Sep-12 14:10:18

I can't really advise on this because I have Siamese and that's what they're like anyway. (I took one of my old boys on a UK holiday at least three or four times to avoid problems.) What kind of cat is she?

smile

NiniLegsInTheAir Wed 19-Sep-12 13:57:10

I've had my gorgeous girl for 3 years, we got her from a shelter (they said she was 3 at the time, I think she was younger, she'd been dumped there after giving birth). She's always been very cuddly and needs a fair bit of reassurance a lot of the time, she's also very jealous of other cats and will chase them if she sees me stroking the neighbour's cats.

We don't go away that often (once every few months for weekends etc) and we've just got back from a week's holiday. Whenever we get back from being away she goes into overdrive with clinginess, the longer we've been away, the longer she'll do it for.

Since we got back she follows me constantly, meowing, purring, wanting strokes, cuddles, licking me, waking me up, kneading me while nuzzling into my clothes. I don't mind (although it is a bit frustrating when I'm in the middle of doing something), but I'm wondering if she finds us going away a bit upsetting and wants to reaffirm our bond.

A friend comes to feed her while we're gone and she says that our cat is happy to give her cuddles when we're away and eats well.

I don't think she's stressed, just very very clingy. I've had lots of cats down the years but none that have reacted like her so I guess it might be connected to her earlier life? Is there anything I can do to reassure her so we don't have to go through this routine every time we go away?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now