I think this might be FABCat's last thread

(767 Posts)
JustFabulous Fri 03-Aug-12 13:11:48

This morning she was coughing and has also had a sloppy bowel accident outside. She wasn't interested in breakfast even though I didn't come down until after 9 and she wasn't about when DH left at 7. He normally feeds her before he goes. I had to put the plate under her nose to get her to come and ear.

Her back legs are a bit wobbly and I will take her for a jab on Monday to hopefully get some relief. She didn't wee over night so that is postiive but when I was comforting her when she was coughing it really hit me that she is very old and isn't my baby anymore sad.

She has lasted for DD's birthday but I am not sure she will make her own sad.

I have just put a towel on the sofa for her to sit on, just in case, but she wasn't impressed and has jumped down on to the floor.

My cat is getting to the end of her life and I am not sure I will ever get over it blush.

She means the world to me, is the only thing in the world that is 100% mine, and I will miss her so much.

EatenByZombies Tue 21-May-13 00:28:44

OP/ Fabcatsslave, I know what you're going through, and many thanks to the family.
I had a cat for 14 years, since I was about 3. He was one of those cats who lives on your lap, he even moved with us to another country!
He got very dodgy near the end, and was skinny and smelly lots. It was really hard to get over, I had days off during my A-Level period because I couldn't cope blush

The easiest way to "move on" is to embrace the time you had with FABcat. It will take time, and it will be hard, but it's harder if you try to block everything out and not think about it. Put a picture up in a frame, for example smile

Obviously different things work for different people, but this helped me get through it. He was buried in our field giant back garden, and I spent time sitting next to the bush he was buried under each night because it felt like he was there.

Although people might not agree with me, another cat may help. It wont be replacing your FABcat, but it will give you another furrybaby to pour your love into (and for your kids to torment grin )
flowers

cozietoesie Mon 20-May-13 16:11:15

Well when my Mum died, no-one else in the family really expected Seniorboy to last more than a fortnight or so. (He was 13 and very bonded to her as Siamese are.) He's now 18 and still going pretty strong. Lying sprawled out sleeping at my feet as I type.

You can't tell. There are loads of cats who are only in early middle age, say 9 or 10, who can't find a home. These days, good vet care means that animals live much longer with good quality of life.

FabCatsSlave Mon 20-May-13 16:02:21

We have had a chat and the whole family really would like 2 kittens...

I would be happy to take on an older or sick cat but DH is worried about the children going through another loss so soon.

NinaHeart Mon 20-May-13 13:04:30

What beautiful pictures FCS. FabCat was obviously a very gorgeous girl.

We are only just beginning to think we can get another cat now , five months after Bart died. And only really because my SD has 8 kittens she needs to find homes for. But I can't bear to think of a kitty being homeless when we could give it a very loving home. You'll know when it's right.

And yesterday we saw a cat-shaped cloud in the sky and would like to think it was Bart having fun in kitty-heaven. (Soppy, I know)

Horsemad Sat 18-May-13 15:34:31

My mum has got the ashes of 2 dogs in her living room.

I'm sure no one would say anything and if they did then as others have said - stuff 'em.

ChubbyKitty Sat 18-May-13 14:29:14

I have stumbled across this in Active, read the OP, and blubbed over my lunch.

thanks

Yes stuff 'em. I know people who have had their pet's ashes back, it's no different to having a relative's IMO.

Sunnywithshowers Sat 18-May-13 12:06:51

(((FAB)))

Much love to you and the family.

cozietoesie Sat 18-May-13 11:47:47

Stuff 'em if they are.

FabCatsSlave Sat 18-May-13 11:41:39

I even feel disloyal even thinking about another cat but it is good to talk feelings over.

Still cry easily.

Picked up Mushroom's ashes this morning and sobbed when I saw it had her name engraved on a plate. I hadn't realised they would do that. We all had a stroke and a cuddle and she sat on the kitchen table for a while but is now above the fireplace. I am a bit worried people who come (not many at all, had 2neighbours in once each in the last few months) will see it and be hmm.

Kittensgloriouskittens Fri 17-May-13 22:07:40

Two years ago I had to have my own fab cat, who I'd had for 12 years, pts. I thought at some point I would like cats again but I wasn't ready. Last year, almost 12 months afterwards, a friend contacted me to say he knew someone who was looking for homes for kittens and thought of me, and I got that feeling that maybe now was the time. I now have two lively kittens (well, teenagers now I suppose) and feel it all worked out. You'll know when you're ready, and (for me at any rate) the cat or cats will find you when the time comes.

ClaraOswald Fri 17-May-13 20:27:00

Our current cats are the oldest animals we have ever had.

My own twin kitties are ten, My mothers girl is 13 later this year, her boy is seven. Our dog was 12 when she was pts.

My sisters dogs are all youngsters.

FabCatsSlave Fri 17-May-13 20:11:16

Your poor dad, Sparkling. My PIL looked after Mushroom once and worried themselves silly she would pass away while they had her. This was before she got cancer so probably a bit OTT.

Mine coped with many house moves, a man moving in, 3 furless babies, fish, snails and Guinea Pigs all invading her space. She always knew she was top dog though. It went something like this -

FABCat
FABBoy 1
FABGirl
FABBoy 2
DH
BoyGuineaPig
GirlGuineaPig
Fish
Snails

Horsemad Fri 17-May-13 19:55:53

One of mine moved next door when we had DC hmm He used to sit on the fence between both houses, so I still got my cuddles! smile

Time gets you past it Fab. The loss will always be there but you learn to live with it. Midnight was 15 when we had to have her PTS, and it was 3 months before I thought just maybe......

I think about Midnight a lot. She was here for 4 years before any DC arrived, and she stuck with us when we produced two, even though she was free to leave at any time. I still feel the guilt that Dad had to take her to the vets to be PTS as we were away. He was crying. sad

FabCatsSlave Fri 17-May-13 19:47:22

Horsemad, how lovely.

FabCatsSlave Fri 17-May-13 19:45:03

I am so happy you all love the kitten photo. I would have been so sad if you hadn't.

I want to be a mad cat lady who always has cats but it feels disloyal to Mushroom. How do you get past that?

Horsemad Fri 17-May-13 19:38:25

How cute is that last pic?! So sweet smile
Before my old girl was pts I'd said no more cats as I knew I'd be in pieces when she went. A few months before she actually was pts, a stray started living rough in my garden. I started feeding her and then one day she hopped onto the bed beside my cat. I expected a hissy fight but nothing happened, so she kind of moved in that day.
It helped having new cat to cuddle when my girl had gone and this may sound weird, but she was so respectful of my girl's resting place - just gently padded round it and still does even now, 8 months on. I was still absolutely gutted when my old girl went though sad

Everyone's different and you will know when it's right for you, which is the most important thing.

That new photo is brilliant. grin

I think if they hadn't attached the very sweet picture of Sparkling Cat I would have waited a bit longer TBH. It was only 2 weeks. blush I was so unprepared we had to stop at the Pet Shop on the way home to get supplies. I gave all of Coco's stuff to the CP as 'I was never having another one'.

You will know if and when the time is right for you Fab. x

FabCatsSlave Fri 17-May-13 19:22:07

Oh Sparkling sad but smile you were able to welcome a new furry friend.

Dh and I looked on the local RSPCA site and there were 4 we would have taken immediately but it feels disloyal and I just want Mushroom back anyway.

FabCatsSlave Fri 17-May-13 19:19:59

Just added another photo. You will love it grin.

Well I lost my beautiful Coco when she was a year old. She went missing for 5 days and was found dead, not a scratch on her. sad We had waited 3 months since having our 15 year old cat PTS before having Coco.

I had alerted the local CP that she was missing, and had to send the email saying not to worry any more. The lovely lady who had rehomed Coco to me sent her condolences and a picture of Sparkling Cat who was about to be put on the website for rehoming just in case I was interested. sad

I said I wasn't ready as I was too heartbroken. But after a few days i thought of Sparkling cat having no home (because her owner couldn't afford her) and all the love I had to give.

I said I would go and see her but that was all. She came home with me that day. smile

FabCatsSlave Fri 17-May-13 19:02:30

Well my 7 year old wants to go tomorrow and get one! No chance. Mushroom isn't even home yet and no rescue place should rehome a cat to someone who has lost theirs two days before imo. I am happy knowing that DH wants a couple of furry friends too and I will wait until it is right. Too soon now. Those of you who have gone through this heartbreak, how long did you wait or could you not go through it again?

Horsemad Fri 17-May-13 18:38:52

A house isn't a home without a cat.

You'll know when it's the right time...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now