Some Cat breeders can be soooo fucking ARSEY !!!! Why is this ??

(10 Posts)
VenusRising Mon 06-May-13 22:24:02

My god, an essay! Oops!

VenusRising Mon 06-May-13 22:23:44

Breeders are concerned for the breed, there is a lot of work involved with getting the right stud for a queen, and keeping the gene pool strong.

It's not everyone has the support to hand raise a litter if the queen is poorly, or even if she needed a cesarean section, and has delayed milk.

Not everyone wants, or can have a moggy from a shelter: we have a pedigree cat as the breed is low allergy, and I wanted to be able to have one for our DC who wouldn't have set me off. Yes it's a pity owners are irresponsible and don't get their kittens spayed and neutered, but it's not really relevant to this thread how many unwanted black / black and white kittens there are in shelters.

When we were thinking of getting our hypoallergenic cat, I talked with the breeder a lot, and was in contact with her by email and phone for a year iirc before we popped over to her house to be formally interviewed.

Luckily I like her, and we work in a similar field, but there is no way on earth I'd breed cats, having seen how hard she works looking after her beautiful cats- she also hand reared a litter of 8 Siamese kits the queen had rejected as a favour to an inexperienced novice breeder at the same time as she had our kittens litter to look after. She was wrecked feeding 8 kittens with syringes every two hours round the clock for three weeks.

Conscientious breeders like this make no money on their cats: they feed them all top quality raw diets, and they don't stint on the veterinary care they need.

Breeding cats isn't a hobby, it's more of a vocation, and breeders want to be very sure that you will look after their little kitten as well as they do. We had to sign a contract that we would spay or kitten within six months, and wouldn't breed from her before she released her to us.

I don't think that the breeder was weird at all OP, sounds pretty par for the course. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear OP grin

cozietoesie Mon 06-May-13 19:28:28

I've had some fairly hair-raisingly extensive interviews in my time - and those were to get cats who were to be non-active. I don't think that any of the breeders I have ever dealt with would have sold me an active cat without knowing me well and, likely, having sold me a previous cat and knowing how I fared with that. And getting chapter and verse out of me on my intentions and plans.

It's only to be expected. Responsible breeders take their charge very seriously.

Aliv22 Mon 06-May-13 19:06:49

I believe the reason the breeder was rude was from the fact you seem to know very little about genetics or cat breeding. If you want to get into cat breeding - you have to do your research. It is not a way to make some money (hard to believe as sphynx are so expensive eh? A good breeder who cares for the breed and is doing it in an ethical way will actually lose money. Not to mention the huge start up costs involved. I hope to get into breeding myself one day and I'm afraid the only "quick" routes will be severely detrimental tothe cats and the breed in general

Catsmamma Sat 21-Jan-12 12:19:23

Cat breeders are wierd!

They want to profit from their cats, but make sure no one else does...simples.

I once had a right ticking off for gently enquiring if sphynx cats with blue eyes were the same as normal cats in that they (blue eyed cats) can have a higher incidence of deafness

I still am not sure if she took most offence cos I compared her cats to ordinary cats or because she thought I was implying a defect in her cats .....and she swore up and down she had never heard such a thing. <stupid woman>

marblerye Sat 21-Jan-12 12:08:10

Well if you breed from her cat who will she sell her next kittens to?

SeaweedNK Sat 21-Jan-12 12:05:14

She may have offered the cat for sale but it's not a can of beans on the shelf. All breeders I have met that are worthy of the name will be very choosy about new homes for their precious babies and doubly so if they are placing the kitten on the active register.

Most of the decision will be based on gut feel - perhaps you said something that didn't tally with her own beliefs/standards? In my experience it is pretty unusual for a reputable breeder to sell a kitten on active register to someone they don't know or has been vouched for by someone they know.

Excellent post Secondwife. There are far too many moggies around needing good homes without bringing more pedigree cats into the world.
OP, maybe the breeder didn't want you muscling in on her cash source.

Secondwife Thu 19-Jan-12 14:20:41

Why do you want to breed from it, is there not enough rescue cats wanting good homes as it is?

I can understand your irratation at asking to buy something that is for sale and getting the cold shoulder, but I just think breeding more cats is not necessary. Each to their own.

recall Thu 19-Jan-12 11:23:59

They advertise cats that on the Active Register then get all shitty when you want to buy one and breed from it angry

Is it just the Cat world ?

Just finished a phone call with a lady who bloody rude to me because I wanted to buy her fucking Cat ????? Don't advertise your cat then, I don't get it !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now