Best place to buy bikes from without breaking the bank?

(11 Posts)
nibblingfingernails Fri 08-Apr-16 13:04:24

Am looking into buying 3 ladies bikes - not sure what type to get, whether it be a normal bike or go for a mountain bike.

We live near the coast and there are plenty of cycle paths - DDs (16 and 18) have expressed that it would be nice to go off on our bikes for a day etc.

Is it better to go somewhere like Halfords or can I just order on line?

I don't want to spend too much - max £150 per bike.

Thanks in advance

nibblingfingernails Fri 08-Apr-16 19:58:52

bump

Micah Fri 08-Apr-16 20:37:58

Find an independent bike shop and get a properly fitted bike. They'll advise properly on road vs mountain vs hybrid if you describe your needs.

Quite often they have old stock heavily discounted too.

Fwiw dont rule out "mens" bikes. Unless you intend on cycling in maxi skirts and need the dropped bar...

GemmaB78 Tue 19-Apr-16 18:16:58

Definitely agree with using an independent shop. They will advise on type of bike, wize, etc. I bought an awesome MTB from my local shop (a bit (!) more than £150) and the service I had was impeccable .

Veterinari Tue 19-Apr-16 18:19:12

Even if you decide to buy online etc then discussing your needs with a bike shop is valuable. It's also worth looking at police auctions and also many cities have secondhand bike up-cycling projects where you can get decent second hand bikes

Whathaveilost Tue 19-Apr-16 18:24:00

I would suggest a reputable seller on ebay.
My brother has had loads of really good bikes with good spec and brand for a reasonable amount. There are plenty if people who have bought bikes and then realised it wasn't for them.
My brother services them himself but I would then say take it to an indy to get looked over.
£150 isn't going to get you much for a new bike and if you don't like it you will get naff all if you sell it on.

Woodhill Fri 13-May-16 20:15:19

What makes would you recommend and if I'm 5,4 what size. I'm looking too.

madtam Wed 25-May-16 17:43:28

Probably a bit late now, but you don't get much bike for under £150.00.
No doubt it will look shiny when you get it, but it is likely to be heavy, with poor ergonomics, poor brakes and poor gears.
For that kind of money you are getting more of a BSO or Bicycle Shaped Object.
Try local bike shops and see if you can find one that takes trade ins and might have something secondhand. If you can find one then for that kind of money you are likely to get a bike that just a year or two ago was worth £3-500 or more and is at least a proper bike. It really is worth the extra and although if you are new to cycling you might not notice much difference. It will make your early attempts at cycling much more pleasant and also is likely to stay that way an awful lot longer.
One of the most critical things is get the right size, and again that means taking advise from a good bike shop - unfortunately this will rarely be Halfords.

NathalieM Thu 02-Jun-16 14:06:39

You could always look on FreeCycle or Gumtree if you're just looking for something cheap? Might not be the perfect size, but a bike's a bike unless you're planning on being the next Lance Armstrong (without the doping I hope).

DerelictMyBalls Tue 20-Sep-16 18:45:35

I got mine on 0% finance from a website called Tredz. Next day delivery, too. I recommend them. I'm paying it off at £21 a month (for 10 months) and I love my bike. I tried a few on in the bike shop first to get the right fit.

obviouslymarvellous Tue 20-Sep-16 18:47:51

Decathlon have some great bikes and really last well smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now