Sleeping comfortably while camping

(12 Posts)
Pastamancer Thu 21-May-15 13:58:04

I am a Guider and therefore camping is something that I have to do even though I'm not a fan. My biggest problem is at night, I get really uncomfortable and therefore struggle to sleep. I have tried a camp bed and an air bed but don't get on with either of them. Any suggestions? As it is Guide camp I can't have loads of stuff with me so it needs to be fairly space saving too.

Orangedaisy Thu 21-May-15 14:00:16

Take a proper pillow. Not space saving but makes a huge difference.

YDdraigGoch Thu 21-May-15 14:02:59

Several roll mats on top of each other?

The new really deep inflatable roll mats are pretty comfy.

momb Thu 21-May-15 14:08:53

Hello fellow Guider <waves>. Airbeds are cold. If you already have a camp bed get a SIM and put that on the bed for optimum comfort/warmth. I use a SIM on the floor but do get stiff after a couple of nights.
One Guider I know brings a 3" memory foam mattress rolled up and sleeps on that with blankets, sheets and quilts from home. She'll get there an hour early to set up so the girls don't see but will not allow herself to be uncomfortable. Honestly her tent is like a nest!

BiddyPop Tue 09-Jun-15 16:22:53

OOOh, this is what I need to know.

I know this thread is a few weeks old, but I'm joining DD's Cub camp next weekend (10 days time).

What is a SIM? (Probable facepalm moment coming).

It's 20 years since I've last slept under canvas in guides and scouts, my DAunt is lending me what she calls an "artic weight sleeping bag" and rollmats (used by her DDs on scout camp) and I have plenty of thermals etc once I root them out of storage.

But any tips would be gratefully accepted (I know I have a tent to myself but that's all I know, not a clue what type of tents they have or how sealed etc they are).

I am ok for the clothes part (thermals, layers, walking trousers, walking shorts, decent tshirts, hiking socks, rain gear, hat and gloves, sun hat). I have a head torch. And then I run out of gear pretty much.

Cubs have action packed days planned with activity centre leaders, so troupe leaders organize camp, do cooking and otherwise have reasonably ok time, I believe. Not non-stop all weekend.

Family madness (weddings, various anniversaries, etc) also means that I need to do it all last minute, and have no chance to catch up on sleep in advance, and have to work either side of the weekend due to all the time off for other events, so a good sleep is desirable. I can survive 2 days without (much) hot water I think.

So any tips - about gear in advance, sleeping, reminders for camping, or for being the only girl leader for 25 cubs, would be GREATLY welcomed.

momb Wed 10-Jun-15 22:20:15

SIM: self inflating mattress.
The have been invented in the last 20 years but are sooo much better than an airbed or roll mat, and much much warmer than a camp bed.
Of course the ultimate is a camp bed with a SIM on but not really suitable fro guide/cub camp!

SomethingFunny Wed 10-Jun-15 22:26:57

I got a SIm for Christmas and tried it out over half term. It was amazing! I used it on top of my campbed and it is wonderful!! Add to that a proper pillow and a decent sleeping bag and you at sorted.

sanquhar Wed 10-Jun-15 22:31:29

Fishing bed.

Go on the go-outdoors website and have a look

Padded luxury!!

BiddyPop Thu 11-Jun-15 09:34:47

Are the thermarest type mats considered a SIM?

BiddyPop Thu 11-Jun-15 09:35:12

I'm taking all the posts on board and getting my ideas into shape - thanks all so much!!

momb Thu 11-Jun-15 11:00:47

Yes, thermarest is a SIM. Thermarest dream is pretty much the most luxurious SIM ever.
We use 3 or 5cm generic ones and they are great. When the brood leaves home DH and I are treating ourselves to thermarests and never sharing with the kids!

BiddyPop Thu 11-Jun-15 11:43:53

OK thermarest goes on my dream list for my own gear. And my list of "if they have it as an option - grab it" for me (and DD if they have 2) at DAunt's.

My DSis got a thermarest in a sit-upon size when she was a guide (but through school), as they were trialling the technology locally. (They're made in a town near where I grew up). It was the envy of the rest of her troupe (and me - I had a HM version which was FAR inferior).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now