I am sure I saw a red kite this morning

(99 Posts)
OwlLady Tue 04-Dec-12 13:56:03

It was massive. I saw it from the back and it was flying through the woods near my house. I have never seen a bird with a wing span SO big shock I thought it was an owl to begin with...hmm but it's body was too small

could it have been a red kite? I live in Beds

If anyone is bored enough, please advise grin

GrimmaTheNome Tue 04-Dec-12 23:12:39

I saw a kingfisher recently - flash of blue but then it perched in a tree to eat the fish it had caught which it did at leisure. It was directly opposite us on the other side of Lancaster canal very near where it ends, which is well into Preston.

What we'd though would be a mundane dog-walk was transformed! smile

Never seen a red kite though. DD has one on the wall of her room - its almost totally covered with the poster pull-outs from the kids RSPB mag.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Wed 05-Dec-12 09:19:28

Kingfishers are like a little flash of bright blue joy <poetic>

GrimmaTheNome Wed 05-Dec-12 09:28:06

Unless you're a small fish grin

DameMargotFountain Wed 05-Dec-12 09:33:19

ohhhh red kites grin

they're almost garden birds in certain part of Northants - the Forestry Commission have laid aside sanctuaries for them to breed. That's been very popular and worked a treat!

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Wed 05-Dec-12 09:35:09

Arf at "unless you're a small fish". Ok, like a little flash of bright blue violent death being repeatedly clubbed against a rock.

DameMargot- I'm quite near the Northants border and we often get kites flying over the house. I know when they do, partly because they are quite loud and partly because the cats come scrambling through the cat flap and hide under the sofa grin

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Wed 05-Dec-12 09:39:34

Herons low flying freak me out they are like pterodactyls!!!

Red kites, beautiful. But they don't half bother the baby birds in my garden :0(

CMOTDibbler Wed 05-Dec-12 09:40:27

Red kites are def garden birds to my parents DameMargot - they are S Oxon, and dad whistles to the kites, and they'll come down to him, calling. Its amazing to see.

MsElleTow Wed 05-Dec-12 09:42:44

We are in Rutland and we have lots of Red Kites. We never tire of seeing them. We, also, have Osprey who nest and return to Rutland water each Spring/Summer.

We are really lucky with the bird life round here. Next door, but one was empty so a pair of little owls nested in the roof! We have tawny owls in the woods at the top of the road, wood peckers and sparrow hawks visit the garden among all all the other birds. My teen boys like sitting watching them as much as DH and I!

DameMargotFountain Wed 05-Dec-12 09:48:55

they make a really lovely whistle don't they? you see them and expect an eerie screech!

we could have a local twitchers meet here, i can see Rutland from my house, MsElleTow grin and have sighted the Osprey over ours too - amazing birds.

Heron also a regular visitor, i think one was the reason my Dsis found a fancy carp on the bonnet of her car recently

ArtfulAardvark Wed 05-Dec-12 09:53:27

Oxfordshire - the kites are prolific here, at any time I have between 3 - 6 circling overhead and I regularly get to watch Kites v Crows - which is a very noisy event! As you say they are massive, the wing tips are spikey and the males have red colouring (beautiful) Hubbys bird book says the Kite helped to clear Tudor London's garbage.

We get an owl on the tree at the end of the garden, a woodpecker has taken a fancy to the telegraph pole in my neighbours garden and a heron regularly comes to psych out our pond.

We had rat issues earlier in the year and at one point a kestrel grabbed one from our garden - leaving carnage and its jawbone on the grass (now outed myself to anyone who knows me)

ArtfulAardvark Wed 05-Dec-12 09:56:33

If anyone had ever told me when I was younger I would be interested in/have conversations about birds i'd have thought they had lost their mind grin

I never realised, until one took over our garden, exactly how stroppy robins are too!

AnnaBegins Wed 05-Dec-12 10:01:51

I saw a kite the other day in Wales, they are so beautiful. But we were with a twattish man (who is a twat anyway, not solely because of this) who kept declaring every buzzard we saw to be a kite hmm Don't think he realised I was brought up around birds of prey and know my buzzards from my kites, kestrels, goshawks, and any other bird this country can throw at me! grin

Northants here too.

I took DS for a walk through the woods at Brigstock at Halloween and counted 14 red kites circling and swooping. It was amazing.

DH has just about forgiven me for taping over our holiday video to record a red kite eating its dinner in my back garden grin

mistlethrush Wed 05-Dec-12 10:11:07

I find the little brown birds difficult to deal with - some of the warblers - and then some of the waders (particularly if you are binocular-less and without a guide).

Startail Wed 05-Dec-12 10:12:57

I was brought up in Mid Wales and the day I saw 3 red kites together cycling round the Elan valley was amazing.

30 years later my Mum gets 30+ circling over head every day as they go to the feeding centre.

The breading program has been very very successful.

Yes the obvious give away that its a kite not a buzzard is the tail. They are also slightly lighter built, their wings are slightly narrower. The often hold them slightly bent in a way buzzards generally don't.

If you are very lucky and get the sun on them they are the most amazing colour, no doubt at sll as to their name.

DameMargotFountain Wed 05-Dec-12 10:13:54

a hobby about hobbies Anna grin

we've had one of those in the garden too <ups steaks>

Startail Wed 05-Dec-12 10:15:07

all stupid touch screens blush

AnnaBegins Wed 05-Dec-12 10:33:59

Wow Margot, I don't think I have ever seen a hobby!

OwlLady Wed 05-Dec-12 13:06:06

I have three robins in my garden who are regular and as of yet they have not been aggressive to me, infact they are quite the opposite and follow me around, a bit like snow white... I have one that flies into the shed and hides and I have to say come out now for it to fly out before I close the door.

greenhill Wed 05-Dec-12 13:22:01

The robins in my parent's garden are very territorial and fight frequently, possibly because my parents have several feeders out and get hundreds of birds a day.

The few that visit my garden are very bold and like to watch me digging from about 2 feet away, so they can get the worms / grubs as I turn the soil over.

SmallIWantForXmasIsA6ft2Dwarf Wed 05-Dec-12 13:27:41

I've seen 22 at one time here. It was only once but normally we have 8 kites living in our village. I love them, I think they are beautiful.

SmallIWantForXmasIsA6ft2Dwarf Wed 05-Dec-12 13:27:54

Oh I'm in Bucks/Chilterns

SmallIWantForXmasIsA6ft2Dwarf Wed 05-Dec-12 13:31:04

We have woodpeckers and robins in our garden too, the robins are very territorial to other birds (particularly other robins).

We also have bats, badgers, Muntjacks and foxes. I'm from London so all this is lovely to me!

greenhill Wed 05-Dec-12 13:52:53

Surely you had plenty of foxes in London, ripping the bin bags open?! small

We have foxes, badgers and muntjacs visiting our garden. One year a female muntjac deer ate every single head off the tulips in our back garden, before they had opened. Because of her limp, I had been too kind to open the window and frighten her off.

It is a real privilege to see the new cubs/ fauns visiting every year smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now