Balance bikes. Much of a muchness?

(8 Posts)
mumeuro Fri 03-Aug-12 13:49:54

we just took the pedals off DD's normal bike and she zoomed around on that for a while, then we put them back on and literally straight away she was able to ride unaided! THE best way to learn!

librababies Fri 03-Aug-12 13:48:17

Thanks for your comments- very useful (smile)

Don't get wood. Too heavy, get as light as possible.

Don't worry about brakes, mine have never used them.

Make sure got pneumatic tyres.

Other than that, much of a muchness.

make sure seat can be lowered/raised enough. Our 1st one said suitable from age 2, but our ds was so little, he couldn't ride it till closer to 4. They need to be able to have both feet flat comfortably on the floor imo. And it was heavier too. Lighter the better.

darthsillius Wed 25-Jul-12 07:50:24

For one magic summer they did £10 wooden ones in lidl. It lasted for 2 kids and I then sold it on eBay for £25. It was great. They both rode a normal bike without stabilisers at 3.
Lidl sometimes do them now for £25 ish.

The other thing I read was to use a normal bike, lower the saddle and take the pedals off. Depends how handy you are if that is do-able. But saves you loads of money.

Just noticed the boys version doesnt seem to be listed anymore. This is pretty similar but ours has a bar to rest feet on.

m.tesco.com/mt/www.tesco.com/direct/10-eva-wheel-balance-bike/215-6308.prd

I got a cheap one from toysrus it was 40 quid i think but reduced to 20 at the time. Like a mini mountain bike thing. Its lasted brilliantly as dd got it at 2 and shes 3.8yrs. We've highered the seat each time she grows and she's a whizz on it now. In fact her older friends who ride stabiliser bikes just cant balance and get going on it. The only drawback is it had no brakes but it didnt matter as dd instinctively puts her feet down.

librababies Wed 25-Jul-12 07:33:50

I'm looking at getting a balance bike for my 2 1/2 year old. The price range is huge, and I was wondering are they all pretty much the same or do you get what you pay for? The one I was looking at has a rest board for their feet and us about £50 which is as much as I want to spend really. But they start as low as £30 up to £75.
Has anyone had a cheap one that was really rubbish or good? How much did people spend. Comments would be appreciated!
Thanks
S

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now