Paddlers unite

(10 Posts)
PurpleFrog Mon 10-Sep-12 16:05:40

I'm a lapsed paddler. We have a garage full of boats and paddles and I have a large box full of cags and spraydecks that oddly appear to have shrunk in storage! blush

I used to compete in slalom, and canoe polo as well!

slalomsuki Thu 06-Sep-12 22:12:19

Ex slalom canoeist here hence the name. Don't paddle much now but trying to get the kids in to it but not working yet.

Bramblesinafield Thu 06-Sep-12 22:09:46

Waves, I got buzzed by a low flying chinook helicopter whilst paddling offshore this summer smile

I think there is not enough awareness about checking the currents etc where people are on the water. So sad this summer with the accidents that happened.

Hi, we are newbie canoeists - have 2(!) Canadian canoes to accommodate ourselves and 4 boys.

I used to do a bit of river kayaking in my yoof and have always been frightened/fascinated by sea kayaking.

We are still recovering from the shock and upset by that horrible canoeing accident in Scotland recently sad - those 2 families must be absolutely destroyed by events. We know the Gareloch as well, although have never been in/on it. And now never will - apparently it is v tidal.

DH has procured buoyancy bags for the canoes that are ?foam-filled, rather than air-filled like our previous ones.

Hi I'm a canoist, best hobby in the world... I'm up for some talk about thwarts n gunnels, jstroking and boat talk.

Have a mad river family bus and a nippy apache and I luffs them both smile

NeverSayNoToDessert Wed 29-Aug-12 02:21:06

! I'm a volunteer instructor at local lake, teach Scouts and kids kayaking and canoeing, and a sea kayaker. Scariest moment of my life was when I realised a whale was surfacing under me in Alaska where I was kayaking with my friends (it was either capsize and die or capzise and nearly die).

... And I did! Took they kayak out on the river, sun, smooth paddling, heavenly!

I have a sea kayak, in desperate to get back out there now the weather's better

EssieW Sat 24-Mar-12 22:09:44

Wannabe sea kayaker here. Did some before children arrived but limited since then. Hoping to squeeze in a day in Scotland this summer - probably on a guided trip so I have some company.

Dream of having sea kayak one day....

Any more canoeists out there? Let's talk paddles and boats!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now