Geocaching : chatty thread

(194 Posts)
bumpybecky Fri 23-Mar-12 16:24:18

hello geocachers smile

there were lots of outdoorsy shite threads, but now we have our new great outdoors forum, I thought I'd start a new thread for us smile

I am (one of) Dave's Piglings and an in Bedfordshire. We've currently got about 140 finds and 9 caches placed smile

EndoplasmicReticulum Thu 12-Apr-12 22:16:46

We got 2 today. I'm in North Yorkshire, there are loads. Have also done a few on the IOW while visiting family.

ChoccyJules Thu 12-Apr-12 22:23:28

We're new to geocaching and have so far found one and not (yet) found the second (though we had a nice walk!). In Cambs. Will enjoy reading through this thread and learning fron the experts!

PinkyCheesy Thu 12-Apr-12 23:30:57

I am taking a couple of mates out for a caching walk (they are interested but not convinced!) on 23 April around Bourne/Caldecote/Hardwick (in Cambs). We will be meeting around 10am and aim to be home again in time for our various school pickups. Will prob walk around 3-4 miles and pick up 5-10 caches. No pressure, just a fun chatty few hours. If anyone fancies joining me, please email me at paddington.hax@gmail.com and I will send you more details.

There's loads of lovely geocachers round here (herts/cambs border) but could do with a few more ladies!

EndoplasmicReticulum Fri 13-Apr-12 09:46:15

PinkCheesy that's a lovely idea (bit far for us though....)

I took my mum and dad yesterday. They were impressed. Once I had explained the concept to my mum about 15 times.

"you just follow the arrow on the GPS, mum"

"what arrow?"

"Did you bring your glasses?"

PinkyCheesy Fri 13-Apr-12 14:15:25

My caching friend uses a GPS and I use my iPhone. She doesn't understand how an iPhone works but thought her DH might get one. I explained that he had to get the geocache app from the AppStore. Her reply: "oh where's that? I don't think we've got an App Store in Northampton.." grin

Strawbezza Fri 13-Apr-12 18:14:07

I'm in the West Midlands too EddiesTeddy at approx co-ords of N 52 25.000 W 001 58.000 grin

Great that there are so many geocachers on here now!

I'm going to an event tomorrow where some new caches will be released.

bumpybecky Fri 13-Apr-12 21:01:11

been out today, took dd1&2 to guide camp and made a few detours smile

picked up a d4.5 puzzle, a multi with a fabulous view which was very close to England's oldest cache (which we also found), one more on the way back to car, then one in Berkshire (new county for us) near to camp

so just 5 but favourite points added to 3 of them as they were fabby smile

topbannana Sat 14-Apr-12 14:07:58

Shame to brag but take a look on geocaching.com at Weymouth Bay in Dorset. They have just set up the Olympic rings with about 50 caches. Dorset is a great place to cache grin

Strawbezza Sun 15-Apr-12 14:33:12

topbannana I'm going to Weymouth at the end of May to do that series grin Haven't cached in Dorset before so it will be a new county for me.

bumpybecky Sun 15-Apr-12 23:13:40

oooh lots of puzzles smile have solved two now, have told dh when we've solved them all we're off to dorset for the weekend!

Strawbezza Thu 10-May-12 23:31:52

Good weather forecast for the weekend.... anyone got any caching plans?

Anyone got any tips on how to solve puzzle cache GC3AGBN it's the only one of the Sailing Rings we've not solved sad

bumpybecky Wed 16-May-12 19:15:26

can't help with Black 3 - baffling! there is a puzzle help group on FB though. FB not working for me at the moment so can't post a link, it's called geocaching puzzle help though

no caching for us at the moment, DH has banned me after our marathon cacheathon at the bank holiday weekend - we did 37 in a day!

there's a puzzle cache locally and in order to find it you need to spell out a word using the initial letters of caches all found in the same day (hope that makes sense!). Well I asked the dc what word they wanted to do - supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! shock so we did!

Strawbezza Mon 21-May-12 14:29:56

I solved Black 3 after asking for help grin would never have managed it on my own. Off to Weymouth on Sunday morning grin

Strawbezza Mon 21-May-12 14:32:33

Wow Bumpybecky that's a brilliant effort with the Challenge Cache! Must have taken a lot of planning!

Playingwithbuses Wed 04-Jul-12 01:24:58

hi geocachers, i have er dont know how many finds a quite a fews hides, i love setting up caches smile especially really original or funny ones. Well they make me smile, my dd's travel bug has made it to canada and we have another 2 in the uk doing their rounds, love it grin

topbannana Tue 10-Jul-12 09:42:32

Hi again folks, hope you have managed to get some caching done despite the awful weather hmm
Is it just me being ranty, or are cachers taking the p**s with their swops? We have found a couple that have really disappointing contents (and DS only joins in with good grace if he gets to swop some plastic tat!) Then I went to check on one of our caches last week. It is a KlipLok box and was filled with really nice little bits and pieces (my DMum is an avid car booter and buys loads of stuff for us) Lo and behold, I find my lovely cache contains (amongst other things) an empty Kinder egg pot, 2 dead batteries, the cage off the top of a champagne cork and three 1 pence pieces. I have removed all these generous swops and filled the cache back up with decent stuff but was really angry about it. I mean, who thinks taking a plastic Lightning McQueen car is acceptable if all you are going to put in is an empty Kinder egg pot and who wants an empty Kinder pot anyway?!

Strawbezza Wed 11-Jul-12 16:34:53

Sadly the quality of cache contents does go down fast. I blame indulgent parents letting their little darlings pick what they like, and either not leaving something in exchange, or leaving some useless piece of tat. Most of my bigger caches started off being filled with little Lego people/models, none of them are left now, the few swaps were of the broken McToy/used bus ticket quality.

Playingwithbuses Fri 13-Jul-12 11:21:48

As its dry today today Im going to head off and do a maintenance run on one of my series of caches, at least one is MIA and another not foynd for a bit. Summer holidays here so i want to make sure there all up and running.

bumpybecky Fri 17-Aug-12 00:14:18

to be honest the caches I've set didn't have big value items in to start with, they each had 3-4 things but rubbers (multipack of 4 normally cost 30-50p) marbles, bouncy balls, bracelets from party bags etc

we do occasionally find high value swaps, but only when we've not got anything of equal value (sods law!) so it gets left there

my latest mission is setting caches as part of a bigger series - there are about 10 of us combining efforts and setting caches around the Milton Keynes boundary walk. It's 63 miles long and I think there will be over 300 caches by the time we're finished. My section is 6.5 miles long and I'm hoping to out the 33 boxes out next week smile

tazzle22 Fri 17-Aug-12 00:28:17

wow, did not realise there was a geocaching group here .......... another in the west midlands here grin

newbie really of three months.... I have 124 and am just about do my first three hides.

I love puzzle caches !

tiggy114 Tue 13-Nov-12 18:57:58

Marking my place to read this thread later. We loooooove geocaching. It's so addictive.

NicholasTeakozy Wed 17-Apr-13 14:01:47

Yes, yes, I know, zombie thread and that. I've been cacheing for about 8 months and bloody love it. I have about 50 finds and am scouting places for hides in both urban and rural locations.

Asheth Wed 17-Apr-13 22:45:14

I love it too! I started caching with my DSs a couple of months ago and we've found a few local ones and some on holiday. I love the fact that it's everywhere. People are always amazed when I show them the maps and how their home towns are covered with caches!

cb2ndtimer Sat 20-Apr-13 18:27:58

Attended my first event today and logged our 100th find - love how caching gets me out to places I would never visit otherwise.

chirpchirp Fri 05-Jul-13 16:00:03

Newbie Geocacher reviving old thread.

Heard of it, never tried it. Then some friends came to visit yesterday.... One of them was playing on his phone and got very excited that there were loads of caches close by (one being 10 yards from my house). Went out with him to find it and that was me hooked. Went on my usual walk last night but doing slight detours and collecting on my way and even bagged one on my lunch break today whilst out stocking up on treasure at Hawkin's Baazar.

The simply GPS ones I think I'll be able to get no bother but does anyone here have any pointers to solving the puzzles? Is it like cryptic cross words, once you get the knack they get easier?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now