Just venting on here...

(9 Posts)
Ginmakesitallok Mon 21-Nov-16 18:48:42

Friend's lovely dog had to be pts a couple of weeks ago. sad

He's just texted a pic of a wee schnauzer pup they picked up today. I am 99% sure it's from a puppy farm angry . He told me the area it's from - there's a registered breeder there - licensed for 60 bitches. . Surely you wouldn't be able to pick up a pup within a week from a reputable breeder? If a breeder is registered/licensed will the conditions be ok??

Wolfiefan Mon 21-Nov-16 18:53:27

No you can't just buy a pup from a decent breeder with no notice.
No licensed is no guarantee of conditions.
Your friend has made an impulse buy of a puppy farmed pup as a result of their grief.

Ginmakesitallok Mon 21-Nov-16 19:02:04

I agree. And the annoying thing is that they would say they were great dog lovers etc etc. Poor wee dog.

TrionicLettuce Mon 21-Nov-16 20:12:03

Unfortunately there's no shortage of fully licensed breeding premises where the dogs are kept in awful conditions. The system just doesn't work to protect either dogs or puppy buyers.

If anything a breeder having a licence is a pretty good indicator they're a puppy farm, even if it's. It on a massive scale. The vast majority of councils only require a breeder to licensed if they're breeding five or more litters a year. No reputable breeder would ever produce on anything like that scale.

TrionicLettuce Mon 21-Nov-16 20:17:15

*not on a massive scale hmm

Bubble2bubble Mon 21-Nov-16 20:40:51

I think you know you're right sad
Vent away....I just don't get why people can't see it.

TheoriginalLEM Mon 21-Nov-16 20:44:05

Well, lucky wee dog as he sounds like he got lucky to get decent, if naive, owners.

bloody hate puppy farmers.

Ginmakesitallok Mon 21-Nov-16 20:51:06

Tbh they both work, live in a flat without a garden, and he "doesn't do picking up crap". So although they are indeed very very lovely and will love the wee thing very much I still feel sorry for it.

SleightOfMind Mon 21-Nov-16 20:53:00

Since we lost our old girl, I've beeen very hmm at the amount of people telling us we should get a puppy to cheer our younger dog up.
We're off to our local rescue after Xmas to find him a lovely grown up companion, who'll be a good fit for our family and make us all really happy.
If I ever do want to start with a younger dog, lots of rescues have puppies in too. I can't imaging why families wanting a pet would ignore all the lovely dogs needing homes to line breeders pockets. Let alone encourage cruel puppy farming practices.
YADNBU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now