Sarcoptic mange

(11 Posts)
BackAwayFatty Tue 15-Nov-16 23:19:51

After a weekend of boarding, the owner reckons my puppy has sarcoptic mange. Does anyone have experience of this & how to get rid? I've phoned the vet & have an app but it's not for 8 days! angry Thinking of changing vets.

EstelleRoberts Tue 15-Nov-16 23:25:52

You need an appointment much more quickly than that. Mange can progress quickly, and causes a lot of suffering. Does the vet's receptionist know what the appointment is for? Maybe they can offer an emergency appointment if you tell them what is suspected. Otherwise, yes, find another vet.

EstelleRoberts Tue 15-Nov-16 23:27:08

Oh, sorry, when my dog had it some years ago, treatment was regular baths with medicated shampoo. It went on for quite some time. But hopefully there are better treatments now.

I hope your puppy is better very soon.

Scuttlebutter Tue 15-Nov-16 23:29:36

I wouldn't wait for eight days. The itching will be intense, and if left untreated, your pup could scratch and develop quite nasty infections. It's treatable but you don't want to hang around.

BackAwayFatty Tue 15-Nov-16 23:32:53

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I made the receptionist aware but she was very unhelpful. Going to phone another beta tomorrow & get seen ASAP.

I'm feeling terrible because I didn't realise what it was initially - I thought it was an issue with food/collar or a rash of some sort.

EstelleRoberts Wed 16-Nov-16 01:06:31

OP, please be kind to yourself. It's not your fault you didn't know what it was. It does look like a common or garden rash to begin with, and you are not a vet! We didn't realise at first either. Now you do know, you are doing your best to get him/her medical attention ASAP, as a kind and responsible owner. You really cannot do more.

Finhers crossed you can get him/her in front of another vet in the next day or two.

I don't know how you feel about this, but it is possible to get some homeopathic drops that work a treat on mange. I realise homeopathy is treated with scorn on MN, and tbh I can't explain how it works - and it really shouldn't given what we know about medicine/pharmacology etc - but I have used it with great success to treat mange in wild animals. I'm not suggesting you use it instead of meds from the vet, but as a complementary therapy, as it is sent out quickly from the Helios homeopathic pharmacy. You need to ask for the arsenicum/sulphur mange remedy.

<awaits flaming from the anti-homeopathy crew>

tabulahrasa Wed 16-Nov-16 04:30:01

Advocate spot on is used...if you can't get an appointment you could try getting them to prescribe that.

Ylvamoon Wed 16-Nov-16 16:40:16

sarcoptic mange, is a horrible condition, Advocate and other such treatments are no real help.

Medicated bath from vet over a few weeks is your best option. You should start of doing it daily....

Whitney168 Wed 16-Nov-16 17:11:33

You need a vet's appointment far quicker than that - sarcoptic mange is both nasty and zoonotic (i.e. can transfer to humans).

BackAwayFatty Wed 16-Nov-16 21:05:53

Thank you everyone.

Seen the vet today & she reckons that it could be a good allergy. Taken a skin scraping & get the results tomorrow.

I've ordered the food he was on when I first got him as no problems with it.

Fingers crossed he is well soon. Poor wee guy.

EstelleRoberts Wed 16-Nov-16 23:10:24

Sounds like good news, hopefully. Fingers crossed it is an easily-avoided allergy, and not mange.

I hope he is feeling better v soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now