Need advice please re non healing elbow wound

(5 Posts)
user1479164288 Mon 14-Nov-16 23:15:15

Hi I am new here but I have read some good advice on this forum and so I hope you can advise me too. We have a healthy happy dog who is in good health apart from an elbow wound. I should also add that he is 12. The vet insisted on operating on the elbow wound and this has created a large wound that will not heal. Stitches and staples don't work due to the movement of the joint. It is bandaged and the vet is applying manuka honey every three days. Our dog also had three sessions of K class 4 laser. It seems that the wound is healing from the bottom but on the top it seems to be opening wider. It's been three weeks since the operation which created this larger wound. I was hoping that the wound would heal itself eventually. But I have no idea how long that would take especially as it seems to be going backwards at the moment. Today the vet has suggested that we give up and have him put to sleep. Does anybody have any experience of this sort of situation? I've been told that wounds do eventually heal themselves but is that true? Our dog is very loved and if we could have more time with him that would be great so long as his leg does improve so he can enjoy walks again.

musicghostly Mon 14-Nov-16 23:19:57

My parents had similar on their dog when he was around that age. He had to wear an Elizabethan collar for a long time because even after the initial stage he kept licking it and it would not heal. They really regretted having it operated on.

It took a very long time to heal - was about a year before it was fully ok - but it did heal eventually.

I personally wouldn't give up yet. But I might get a second opinion from a different vet.

musicghostly Mon 14-Nov-16 23:23:26

I mean a second opinion about his treatment. I'm not convinced by your vet.

Floralnomad Tue 15-Nov-16 06:42:16

I'd also get a second opinion . My dog is a very slow healer and on the 3 occasions he's had operations on his legs/ feet it has taken several weeks to get back to normal , and we also had a Guinea pig with a wound that was being treated with honey dressings and that took about 6 weeks to heal . If it doesn't heal would it be feasible to amputate the leg rather than PTS if the dog is otherwise healthy , as a very last resort .

LimeJellyHead Sat 19-Nov-16 14:07:54

I'm a bit shocked if that is your vet's attitude. I would see a different vet.

Bandages are awfully difficult to keep on a leg. Is it slipping off and your dog is sometimes getting to it? Even 5 mins of licking by the dog can undo days or weeks of healing, giving the impression that it isn't improving.

We have had great success with these leg sleeves www.dfordog.co.uk/protective-pet-sleeve-front-leg.html

I used one recently when my terrier had a hot spot. They are breathable and veterinary approved so you can pop it on and leave it on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now