Antler chews - safe?

(5 Posts)
stonecircle Sat 12-Nov-16 16:48:24

So I've just bought one for our 10 month old lab/shepherd cross to try and get her to leave shoes, skirting boards, etc alone. But now I'm worried about her breaking a tooth on it as she's really going at it with her back teeth. Am I being over cautious?

lk26 Sat 12-Nov-16 16:50:39

I got a buffalo horn for my chew mad Labrador when he was a year and he is fine with it. I suppose in theory they could break their teeth but try not to assume the worse.

TrionicLettuce Sat 12-Nov-16 17:01:53

I'd given antlers to my lot for years and never had a problem until DWhippet3 sheared off most of a molar on one earlier this year. Typically it was enough damage to expose the pulp so he then needed a GA and the remnants of the tooth removing.

He wasn't a particularly strong chewer so I think it was just a case of him catching that particular tooth really awkwardly. Bad luck but painful for him and expensive for me!!

I now use Anco Roots or Chewroots instead of antlers as they're much softer but still apparently lots of fun to chew on.

pigsDOfly Sat 12-Nov-16 17:01:53

My small breed dog used to love her antler chew when she was a puppy. Unfortunately, I had to take it away when she'd chewed it until it was too small and she'd never accepted a replacement.

Pretty certain they're about the safest chewing thing you can buy. Unlike bones, they don't splinter, or come off in chunks and given some of the things dogs chew I imagine their teeth are no more at threat from an antler than anything else.

Make sure you buy one that isn't too hard - I think the darker they are the harder they are, but it should tell you on the label - and it should be fine.

pigsDOfly Sat 12-Nov-16 17:04:49

Ah, just seen Trionic's post. Sounds nasty.

But I suppose nothing is without possible problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now