Old dog loosing weight is this normal?

(7 Posts)
arabhorsesarebest Wed 09-Nov-16 22:51:53

My dog is 12, life expectancy for the breed is 10-12. Just under 1 month ago he passed his vet check and was prounounced in excellent all round condition for his age, the vet was very impressed. A few grey hairs on his face aside he could be 5-6. He has no heart respiratory problems, no lumps anywhere, his eyes are bright, no cataracts, his nose is always wet, his coat is shinny, he eats very well, no teeth problems/no tartar, he does not drinking excessively, and has no problems peeing and pooing. He walks 4-5 miles every day and literally skips round effortlessly with no signs of any joint problems, he's happy and out going as ever. His weight was spot on. But morning I noticed that he's lost weight in the last week but nothing has changed. He's only fed Arden Grange dog food no treats, bones, human food. He's an inveterate liar and sometimes when either my DH or I are at work he can persuade the other we have have forgotten to feed him and get an extra bowl of food!
Is it common for older dogs to struggle to maintain their weight?

arabhorsesarebest Wed 09-Nov-16 23:06:59

Meant to add he's regularly wormed and treated for fleas using products prescribed by my vet.

JunosRevenge Wed 09-Nov-16 23:08:04

Take him to the vet for blood tests.

Hope he's ok flowers

TattyCat Wed 09-Nov-16 23:31:06

I know that weight loss in people with no reason is not a good sign but not sure about dogs, although I suspect it's not great. Take him to the vet, but it could be that there's not a lot s/he can diagnose just from weight loss without doing many (expensive) tests particularly as he's just been given a clean bill of health.

I'm so sorry. Sudden weight loss for no reason isn't good. x

AuntieMay Thu 10-Nov-16 09:44:44

We are in this exact same dilemma with our old Airedale, he's 11 1/2 and has noticeably lost weight over the last few weeks. I have just dropped him Off at the groomers and the first thing she said was "he's lost weight" so I'm taking him to the vets as soon as I pick him up to weigh him and get advice. He's fed on royal canin and sounds much more elderly than your dog as he has arthritis and has had both hips replaced in the past.

LimeJellyHead Fri 11-Nov-16 18:44:42

I would take him to the vet. Older dogs can start to loose weight and muscle tone but if that was due to being in their last year or so of their life you would expect to see other signs of old age too, which it doesn't sound like your dog has.

JunosRevenge Wed 16-Nov-16 00:27:39

Did you take your dog to the vet, OP? Hope all is well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now