So just what the Jeff do you do

(15 Posts)
WayHarshTai Wed 09-Nov-16 19:42:17

With a chihuahua who will NOT go outside at even a sniff of rain?

She's batshit today having not been out now for three days. But she won't go outside. In the garden she legs it across the garden under the trampoline to do her business.

For walks? No chance. I've even carried her a mile and a half, putting her down every few minutes, but she just stands there whimpering and shaking.

She has a coat. She just hates the rain, and the cold. Are we just doomed to a winter with a crazy happy snappy mini hound?

Help!

Sugarpiehoneyeye Wed 09-Nov-16 19:44:47

Yes, you are ! 😄

HeadfirstForHalos Wed 09-Nov-16 19:46:41

You need a pram with a rain cover for her 😂

WayHarshTai Wed 09-Nov-16 19:48:41

Yappy not happy obvs.

Oh bugger. Pram is a good idea but wouldn't really solve the exercise issue. Are there like soft play places for dogs anywhere? If not I might open one.

TrionicLettuce Wed 09-Nov-16 19:52:58

On days when the weather is bad are you upping her mental stimulation in place of walks?

If not get her brain working, it'll help to wear her out. Trick training, brain games (my rain hating whippets love 101 things to do with a box), scent games, feeding her from food dispensing toys (ones that take some working out not just basic Kongs) rather than bowls, body awareness exercises, even indoor dog parkour.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Wed 09-Nov-16 20:24:25

There is always doggy day care, my Daughter's Staffy, goes twice a week, he loves it.
She receives updates on her phone.
When he comes home, all he wants to do is sleep ! 😄

BestIsWest Wed 09-Nov-16 20:26:21

Where are you? There IS doggy soft play near us.

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Wed 09-Nov-16 20:26:39

Seriously?

Do dogs do that?

JenLindleyShitMom Wed 09-Nov-16 20:27:50

Treadmill and mental stimulation.

WayHarshTai Wed 09-Nov-16 20:30:40

I'm home all day and we do play, she has ropes that she loves and I hide treats, she'll play with a kong for hours.

Not to disparage her, because she is wonderful, but she's not the cleverest of dogs. She's not interested in trick training for more than five minutes (and she's not very food orientated so hard to keep her attention), and she is not the type to hunt for hidden things or spend too much effort on games.

She is very happy to sit on my lap for two hours if I watch a film, or doze on the sofa when I'm pottering. She always had to be coaxed into a walk but she is a much happier dog when she's had a hour out. She just refuses to at the moment.

She's basically snuggly all day but goes cuckoo around the time the kids get in from school and is a pain while we're eating. On a normal day after one or two walks she's much calmer.

WayHarshTai Wed 09-Nov-16 20:32:00

I love the idea of soft play or indoor exercise by there is nothing local. And doggy day care seems redundant if I'm here all day, plus money is an issue.

HemanOrSheRa Wed 09-Nov-16 20:32:26

My JRT is exactly the same! She LOVES her walks. But absolutely will NOT go out if it's raining. I have to pick her up and place her on the grass to stop her piddling in the porch. I have been known to stand holding an umbrella over her too blush. She doesn't like the wind either, she's a miniature parson, it ruffles her whiskers in an unpleasant way, apparently.

Mind you, she's 7 yo now and a very contented girl. Very happy to snuggle and sleep during the winter.

WayHarshTai Wed 09-Nov-16 20:42:35

Funnily enough my chi is actually a chi/jrt cross (although teeny tiny). I'd put it down to the chihuahua side but I wonder if it's a double whammy!

HemanOrSheRa Wed 09-Nov-16 21:08:09

Pffft. Who knows Way?! I do sometimes wonder if she doesn't like the feel of cold, wet grass on her foof as she's a 'low slung load' grinconfused. Even if we're away in places that she loves, she still will NOT stay out in the wind and rain. I have literally dragged her onto beaches in Cornwall that she will normally play on for hours. I've stood, soaked and cold, watched her give me her 'I don't think so, Dear' face and start to toddle off home!

applesareredandgreen Wed 09-Nov-16 21:48:03

My JRT pup is the same. I had put it down to his age, being born late Spring he had been used to the warmer weather. I was hoping he would get used to it although I think we will need to get him a rain coat as he sits and shivers when wet and he doesn't like being dried either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now