Help with toilet training

(11 Posts)
ZikreetDreaming Wed 09-Nov-16 18:39:13

Hello. Help needed!

We've just adopted a new dog. She's around six months old and we think a Saluki-Husky cross (with probably a bit of various other breeds in her as well). For context we found her hiding under a car having chewed threw the rope she was tied up with and run away from wherever she was (we're in the Middle East and dogs not necessarily treated that well here).

She seems well fed but cowers if you raise a hand to her and we suspect she's be kept entirely outside and probably hit a fair bit. We've had her about a week now (and have been to the vet to check if reported lost etc).

Anyway, she's a lovely dog. The problem we are having is she cannot seem to get the hang of toilet training.

We have another dog and are following the same process with the new one we did with the last one - regular trips outside, first thing in the morning, late at night. middle of the night etc and then lots of praise if she toilets outside. However, she just won't. She will wait until she's finished a walk and immediately sneak away and go to the toilet somewhere inside. This morning we were out for about 45 minutes and she went on the doormat as soon as she got home!

We take both dogs out together and do elaborate praise when the 'old' dog toilets in the hope the new dog gets the hint but that doesn't seem to work either.

How do we change this? The 'give lots of praise' approach doesn't work if she never toilets outside to be praised! I appreciate patience is required but a week in we have made no progress at all.

Any thoughts on what to do really appreciated.

ZikreetDreaming Wed 09-Nov-16 18:39:44

chewed *through

ChocolateRaisin Wed 09-Nov-16 18:44:29

Lots of praise may not be enough. Good treats may get the message across more clearly.

ChocolateRaisin Wed 09-Nov-16 18:45:07

Giving, not good!

Wolfiefan Wed 09-Nov-16 18:46:09

Maybe she's scared of outside and associates it with being hurt? Home is a safe place to toilet?

Goingtobeawesome Wed 09-Nov-16 18:51:31

My puppy is 15 weeks and for a while she'd do nothing on a walk and go as soon as she got home. Now she will go when out but also sometimes once home. Timings I guess.

We had puppy pads for the first week. We would take her out every time she woke up, after every play time, once home if we'd popped out and after a meal.

Pick what command you want and when she wees use it. We use clicker training but can't remember if we did for toileting but we found it very successful. She will go to order sometimes now.

Praise and use treats and the words whenever and wherever she goes. Once she works out what she's doing you can then work towards doing it outside.

Hope that helps.

ZikreetDreaming Thu 10-Nov-16 04:05:28

Thanks everyone. Wolfiefan - she's not scared of outside. She loves her walks, just sees no connection with going outside and toileting.

I'm going to try giving treats. I have nothing for her to get treats for but maybe if the other dog starts getting sausages it may give her some ideas!

Goingtobeawesome - how did you move yours from the puppy pads (if I can't get them I assume I can go with the usual newspaper!) to going outside?

ZikreetDreaming Thu 10-Nov-16 04:27:44

Well that didn't work. Old dog way too distracted by smell of sausages to go to the toilet!

tabulahrasa Thu 10-Nov-16 07:46:06

If she's sneaking away, the issue may well be that she's been punished for going in the wrong place.

Goingtobeawesome Thu 10-Nov-16 07:49:20

I took her out a lot. Sometimes as she was weeing as it's meant to stop them if you pick them up and then can finish outside and learn through praise. It didn't stop her but she only weed small amounts as tiny.

I took her out a lot, on warm days we spent a lot of time in the garden. When she went I'd tell her what she was doing and give lots of praise, a click and a treat. In less than a week she wasn't pooing inside. I only remember three in that time and she has been mostly trained for weeks now. She sometimes goes inside and all but one was our fault. The other one I don't know why as she didn't ask to go out. She's still only young so it doesn't bother me.

My puppy would eat paper given the chance so I'd try something else.

My plan was to move the pad closer to the outside door but it didn't really work out as she had her spot.

Zikreetdreaming Tue 15-Nov-16 07:11:17

Thought I'd update. We're having some success now - at least she will occasionally go outside. I'm starting to doubt her intelligence though as she doesn't seem to get the link between toileting and the treat (old dog worked this out in five mins and would now manage to go to the toilet if I took him every 10 mins!).

We'll see. She's still little!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now