Not able to pick up dog poo

(13 Posts)
Fridgedaire Mon 24-Oct-16 22:12:45

I have a four month old pup. Very vigilant about picking up poo. The problem is, he has a sensitive tummy and sometimes when we are out walking if he has had some treats as part of training he gets diarrhoea. It can be impossible to pick up. I really try, and clean up what's left with tissues etc but it still leaves a mess. What's considered acceptable?

Stormwhale Mon 24-Oct-16 22:13:44

Take a bottle of water with you and try and wash it away.

Ladybirdturd Mon 24-Oct-16 22:14:40

you could take a bottle of water with a sports cap and sort of flush the rest?

alisoncoggs Mon 24-Oct-16 22:15:58

I wouldn't worry about it tbh, especially this time of year. If it's that loose, a spot of rain will quickly wash it away and slugs eat the rest.

ThatGingerOne Mon 24-Oct-16 22:17:05

You need to stop feeding him whatever is upsetting his stomach. Get some cheap frozen chicken breasts, cook them and cut into small pieces - these should be easy enough for his stomach for you to use them as treats. Pick up what you can with a poo bag and then wash away with water. Rubbing some leaves after this might help too. Your main way to beat it though is to stop giving your dog whatever it is that is upsetting its stomach, clearly its not good for it.

Fridgedaire Mon 24-Oct-16 22:27:16

Thanks you. It was just cooked chicken breast, as I've had issues with processed treat s. Cleaned up what I could with poo bag and tissues/leaves. He's on very premium dog food, surprised how sensitive tummy is

Soubriquet Mon 24-Oct-16 22:28:58

There is a freeze spray you can buy that makes runny poo solid

Would that worth thinking about?

Soubriquet Mon 24-Oct-16 22:32:57

poop freeze

Floralnomad Mon 24-Oct-16 22:39:20

Many dogs are sensitive to chicken , I'd also look at the food he's on it could be that a different flavour will harden him up . I feed Millies Wolfheart but he still can only eat certain mixes or gets a bit soft . Clearing up as best you can is fine IMO .

Thattimeofyearagain Mon 24-Oct-16 22:41:26

White fish is better for some dogs tums than chicken. Another vote for a bottle of water to swill it away.

AlwaysLookOnBrightsideOfLife Mon 24-Oct-16 23:12:11

We sometimes have issues with sensitivities and just use kibble as training treats. Wainwrights' also do sensitive treats for puppies which we break in to smaller pieces.

For diarrhoea, water like others have suggested to wash away what can't be picked up when out walking. At home, if you leave it for a day or two it hardens up enough to lift it (if no shovels etc available).

WeAllHaveWings Wed 26-Oct-16 19:45:01

Our ddog was on premium food Eden for the first few months and his tummy never settled on it, switched to Millie's Wolfheart countryside and he had gorgeous small firm poos within 3 days of changing.

If his food isn't working for him change it, wish we hadnt waited as long as we did.

Stormwhale Thu 27-Oct-16 20:54:42

You could feed him some boiled egg with his meal to help with the soft poop. It's a binder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now