Puppy

(13 Posts)
drowninginpinkplastic Sun 23-Oct-16 21:41:44

We are talking about getting a puppy but we have a few questions and I'm hoping you lovely lot can help. The main question is how do people care for a puppy and work. I'm part time and work local but I would never want to leave a puppy alone. So how do other people manage it? Any and all advice welcome.

HaveNoTimeToThinkOfName Sun 23-Oct-16 21:48:54

I also work PT, we got our puppy this time last year, I work at a pre-school so I had the week off with the children to be home with pup as half term, when I went back to work and the kids back to school, she was on her own for a couple of hours, then hubby popped in to see to her, then another hour or so until we were home. Once able to go out for walks, we took her out as soon as we got home. DH made a great enclosure for her to go in while we were out using our old fire guards we had from when kids were little. She had a nice size area that was safe to be left in. We found she didn't go to toilet in there and would wait until let out so that was good.

I suppose it depends how many hours you work? Is there anybody that could pop in and see to pup for you? Have you got a breed in mind?

drowninginpinkplastic Sun 23-Oct-16 21:59:21

I work 20 hrs a week over 2.5 days but my DP will be working from home for one of the days. We like tibetian terriers and have had them before but always rescue never a puppy. 😊

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 23-Oct-16 21:59:24

I think it's quite difficult for a puppy if you work. I don't think a puppy should be left for any more than 2 hours. And an adult dog no longer than 4. What happens when you work, but then need to go shopping, or have arranged to see a friend, or the kids have an activity you also need to spend time at?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 23-Oct-16 22:00:27

So for one day it'll be alone approx 8 hours? Doggy daycare?

Wolfiefan Sun 23-Oct-16 22:01:22

Doggy daycare may work for an adult but obviously not a puppy. Not sure how to manage that.

drowninginpinkplastic Sun 23-Oct-16 22:04:39

That's my problem. I don't want to take on a puppy, and then find we can't give it the time and care it deserves. I'm giving serious thought to smuggling it to work with me. I would be able to come home at lunch so alone on a morning 9-12 then 1-4 but I still feel that's too long. I will look into doggy daycare. Thanks.

Wolfiefan Sun 23-Oct-16 22:07:36

Would you definitely want a pup? Could you take on something slightly older?
Three hours at a time I would feel ok to leave an older and settled dog but how to get to that stage?!
Could you take a dog to work? Maybe not an un toilet trained pup! shock

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 23-Oct-16 22:08:58

If doggy day care take puppies then maybe s/hecould go there in the morning, you pick her/him up in your lunchtime and leave her at home for a few hours in the afternoon when she will be knackered. That doesn't sound bad..

Wolfiefan Sun 23-Oct-16 22:11:58

Doggy care can't take puppies before jabs. Some may not take unneutered dogs and some large breeds have to have restricted exercise.
OP wish you were my neighbour. I'm waiting for a pup. Would happily dogsit for a day!!!

drowninginpinkplastic Sun 23-Oct-16 22:36:31

I think doggy day care could give me the flexibility I need. Maybe I can stick a load of holidays in if/when we get it. Wolfiefan that sounds ideal! Maybe we can time share a puppy . We have had older dogs before but really like the idea of having a dog from a puppy so they and my kids can grow up together. Really wonder if work would consider maternity leave for a pup. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Wolfiefan Sun 23-Oct-16 22:47:35

Haha. Not sharing OP. I've wanted a wolfhound for over twenty years and I've finally got DH to say yes. Just need to find a pup next.
Use holiday time as maternity and paternity leave?!

TrionicLettuce Sun 23-Oct-16 23:06:00

I'd be hesitant to recommend getting a puppy if it would be an absolute necessity for you to use daycare. It can be very hard to find a decent one (i.e. where the dogs aren't just allowed to run riot all day) and even the good ones don't suit all dogs.

This is a good blog post about daycare that's really worth a read if it's something you're considering.

It's also worth bearing in mind that even you have a dog that absolutely loves daycare you do need to make sure that it's not resulting in them being nuisances with other dogs outside of the daycare environment although that is less of an issue if they're only spending one day a week there rather than every day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now