Back leg buckling

(5 Posts)
Noitsnotteatimeyet Sat 22-Oct-16 18:13:51

Just took DDog for a walk and a couple of times his back leg seemed to buckle under him. He didn't cry out (and he's quite a wuss so usually squeals if something's sharply painful). I cut the walk short and he now seems fine but I'm just wondering what it could be? I'm reluctant to take him to the emergency vets as he seems ok in himself but obviously will take him to the regular vet if it's still happening after the weekend. He had a big walk this morning with lots of swimming and squirrel chasing

Floralnomad Sat 22-Oct-16 18:26:07

Could be a luxating patella ,my dog has this and his sometimes looks like it 'buckles' but doesn't bother him at all, he's also a complete wuss .

Noitsnotteatimeyet Sat 22-Oct-16 19:59:33

Thanks - it's not something his breed is prone to but it does sound similar to your dog. Is your dog having any treatment for it?

Floralnomad Sun 23-Oct-16 00:00:12

When it first started in the summer I took him to the vets and he demonstrated how easily they click in and out but I'm holding off on surgery as dog doesn't ever appear to be in pain and he is a notoriously slow healer . I've started giving him a joint supplement and we run up and down stairs a lot as apparently that helps strengthen the right muscles . Dog is in pretty good shape , very fit and not overweight so I'm just seeing how it goes at the moment.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Sun 23-Oct-16 09:37:45

Thanks floral - he's got a slightly dodgy hip (other side) so we're already very 'joint aware' and doing most of those things already (apart from stairs)

He's got a checkup next week anyway so I'll mention it then but he's very fit and super-active so it's obviously not bothering him that much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now