Upset tummy, suggestions?

(14 Posts)
dudsville Sat 22-Oct-16 13:56:26

My 10 year old girl was up a lot in the night needing to go out, she had appalling gas. Found a lot of runny poo this morning. I rang the vet but they said that as her mood is normal, she's not vomiting and is her usual sprightly self they'd just recommend something to soothe her stomach. They said to take her for a walk and if she seemed fine then not to worry. I did and she was so i didn't! My oh fed her and she only had half her breakfast. She just had another loose stool. My vet is now closed. Our local shop has something for diarrhea but I'm worried about giving her something that would stop her body removing something that should come out. Any suggestions?

tabulahrasa Sat 22-Oct-16 14:00:43

I'd skip a meal then give something like chicken and rice for the next one.

If she still wasn't ok after about 48 hours or became noticeably unwell in any other way, that's when I'd go to the vet.

I definitely wouldn't buy medication from the chemist.

tabulahrasa Sat 22-Oct-16 14:01:11

Shop, don't know why I put chemist, lol

dudsville Sat 22-Oct-16 14:06:53

Yes I should have specified it was a pet store and a med for dogs but thanks for sharing my reticence! I'd heard chicken and rice was a helpful thing, will do. I've detol'd the house and washed the bedding.

Puppymouse Sat 22-Oct-16 14:22:53

Our golden had a dodgy tummy all the time as a youngster. He's largely outgrown it but I keep a syringe of Diarsanyl in the cupboard for the odd occasion when he has a runny poo. It's gentle for their insides, you can buy it from Amazon and usually after one dose he's right as rain again. Might not help you straight away if you don't have Prime but it's useful to have for future flowers

tabulahrasa Sat 22-Oct-16 14:23:38

You want whatever's upset her stomach to work its way out smile

Wonderflonium Sat 22-Oct-16 16:46:43

Mashed plain potato to help soothe her tummy?

hairypaws Sat 22-Oct-16 17:03:03

I always keep a tube of pro-kolin in for my girl. It's a paste and really sorts out the runs. As long as no other symptoms and looking bright. I buy it from Amazon, if you have Prime you might get it tomorrow.

FuzzyBadger Sat 22-Oct-16 17:13:51

Never skip a meal!

I work for an animal rescue - my routine would be:
Boiled chicken/turkey/mince and rice until poo is returned to normal.
Warm milk to stop any acid reflux which they often have accompanying upset tummy.
A cup of chamomile and peppermint tea, cooled obviously.
Lots of sleep with regular opportunity to poop.
Always works for my doggies! Good luck!

dudsville Sat 22-Oct-16 19:11:46

Thanks for your input everyone. She never usually has runny poo so we don't have any meds on hand. I don't instinctively like the thought of introducing meds to a compromised but simple digestive system so I will learn more about this should it happen again. As for now, she's continued having runny poos but did have a meal. I cut a 1/4 of a chicken breast into tiny bits and boiled with about a 1/4 cup of rice, and I gave her the water it cooked in as well as she hadn't had a drink most of the day. I gave it to her in two portions, a small tiny bit to see if she would eat it. She loved it and afterward went to the water bowl so I gave her the rest. I'm so happy! We're now just watching for any signs of return. I'm interested in the milk and tea suggestion as well so will look into that.

I'm a little worried though. We've worked out that she had some loose stool Tuesday, then solid ones, Wednesday was fine, then loose again yesterday, and then last night and today obviously. This afternoon is the first time she's gone any length of time without a drink.

Leopard12 Sat 22-Oct-16 19:20:14

Our vet said to skip a meal too, then boiled rice and chicken, we took him on the 3rd day as he's had some runny poo before but not for that long (he's only 2 and first time owners) Total waste of time and money he gave us the above advice and offered to take a poo sample for diagnostic testing to rule out nasty pathogens and asked us back for results and checkup which we later cancelled as he was fine straight after we left the vets which was £110! If he seems otherwise fine then plain food and regular outside access and should sort itself out!

dudsville Sat 22-Oct-16 21:46:01

That's comforting to hear leopard, thanks. We haven't had any movements since dinner except for a wee so fx it's finished. Will keep her to rice and chicken tomorrow though.

AlwaysLookOnBrightsideOfLife Sun 23-Oct-16 09:09:17

When ours had diarrhoea the other week we put her on either boiled chicken & rice or boiled rice with sweet potato. Also like you, added the water the rice/chicken had been cooked in to ensure she got enough fluids. Then once she seemed okay I very gradually introduced her kibble back in, first mixing it with the above meals, then increasing the kibble and decreasing the rest.

I've heard that pumpkin flesh is meant to be great, both for diarrhoea and for constipation. Didn't have any to hand to try though.

dudsville Sun 23-Oct-16 16:49:42

Hairypaws, since her stools were still so awful looking today we got some pro-kolin from the out of hours vet. Poor little thing. She's still really well in herself though, bouncy and happy during the walk and around the house. The vet said pro-kolin is like really strong yakult! She's had one dose with some food at 3. I'm wondering if I can fit another one in this evening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now