Help! Puppy mad half hour

(4 Posts)
Lunaballoon Thu 20-Oct-16 20:28:04

We're looking after a 12 week old cocker spaniel and he's responding really well to training but there are a couple of times in the day when he seems particularly bitey and overexcited. He spends a lot of his time with us in the kitchen where he's relatively calm and has access to the garden but in the evening when we want to settle in the living room, he's like a thing possessed - jumping all over the furniture, biting, pulling on clothes. Whenever we sit down in the lounge he does this. Any tips please?

Rubberduckies Fri 21-Oct-16 08:26:30

Our springer responded quite well to a 'time out'. She got over stimulated and over excited and I worried she would hurt herself crashing into furniture. I always tried to ignore to start with, but if it didn't work I'd put her in her crate with a toy or a chew until she calmed down, and then let her out again.

Rubberduckies Fri 21-Oct-16 08:29:13

Also, make sure you spend time in the living room with him so it's not so exciting when he finally gets in there in the evening? You can clicker train lying on a mat which can start to give them the idea that what you want is a quiet, calm dog lying in a particular place! We have a mat by each sofa which Holly generally goes to when we're watching tv in the evening

Lunaballoon Fri 21-Oct-16 19:59:38

A crate for time outs would be good but unfortunately we haven't got one and he's only with us for a few more days. At the moment we have to keep shutting him in the kitchen, but it would be lovely to have cuddles on the sofa. I've heard about mat training before. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now