Does my puppy have a cold or is it something more serious?

(8 Posts)
Goingtobeawesome Mon 17-Oct-16 15:13:00

She has started today with a white discharge, like froth, coming from each side of her nose. Not a lot and if it wipe it away it's not coming back I've only noticed it a couple of times so know I'm probably over reacting but, you know, the responsibility. Eek.

kormachameleon Mon 17-Oct-16 15:15:44

Take her to the vet today
Puppies get very ill very quickly and don't really get colds as such

Goingtobeawesome Mon 17-Oct-16 15:36:30

It seems to be quite common after a walk. She is only young and had a long walk both times it happened. She's currently sleeping so I'll see how she is when she wakes up.

Thank you 🐶

kormachameleon Mon 17-Oct-16 21:39:15

What breed of dog ?
It isn't normal after a walk so I definitely recommend you getting her checked out

GladysKravitz Mon 17-Oct-16 22:54:14

What? It's not normal after a walk? My 4 month old boy gets a frothy nostril (just one side) whenever he goes on a walk. I would be worried after reading this thread but he's always had it and is perfectly healthy. I assumed it was just something dogs got - his mouth gets frothy on a walk too (he's drooly with loose lips).

TattyCat Mon 17-Oct-16 22:58:51

Oh this is interesting. I've just adopted a 3 year old Lab and she gets this in both nostrils, during her morning walk. The morning walk is in the woods for about an hour, then the afternoon is the park where we play ball. It doesn't happen in the park but does in the woods, so I wonder if it's down to all the sniffing? She is more focused on the ball in the afternoon so doesn't sniff so much...

I thought it was fairly normal, albeit I've never seen it before in a dog, but she doesn't seem to have any issues and it soon disappears.

Goingtobeawesome Tue 18-Oct-16 10:29:50

If it was something serious surely it would happen all the time? It goes when I wipe it and it is only when on a walk.

She's a golden retriever and there are lots of posts about it , all breeds of dogs, and none of them say it is serious.

babyblackbird Tue 18-Oct-16 15:52:17

My Lab froths at the mouth when he is somewhere new and there are a lot of new smells. He looks like he has rabies and gets it all over us but I am pretty sure it is just his senses going into overdrive at all the new scents and smells

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now