Need a handhold - rehoming my beautiful dog - anyone around?

(21 Posts)
GinBunny Sun 16-Oct-16 22:41:23

So 6 weeks ago I found out STBXH was having an affair and threw him out. In the fall out from this I found out that I can't afford to stay in my house and am going to move back into the flat that we used to live in that is currently rented out. Long story short, I have 2 dogs and the managing agents have told me I can only take one with me. So I have had the heartbreaking task of having to rehome the other.
Tonight I have been chatting to a potential new home for her. It sounds absolutely perfect - the couple are experienced with her breed, are at home all day as retired and live near the moors in Yorkshire so lots of lovely walks for her. It couldn't be better for her. I hope it works out.
But on the other hand I am absolutely heartbroken. My beautiful girl, I love her so much and can't stop crying now the prospect of losing her is becoming a reality. I'm going to miss her so much.
Not really sure why I am posting, this is the best outcome for her. I just don't want her to go.

serin Sun 16-Oct-16 23:13:41

Aw that's awful, you sound like you have been through so much already. She will be just fine in her lovely new home, it's you who will be doing all the suffering.

HidingFromDD Sun 16-Oct-16 23:23:46

I had to rehome my lovely dog when she was 5 years old and we found out (following blood tests) that dd1 was allergic to her. The breeder found her a lovely home with a retired couple. I got little cards for a while letting me know that she was happy and settling in well.

I still feel awful about rehoming her, but it was the best thing for her.

ErrolTheDragon Sun 16-Oct-16 23:34:15

I'm so sorry, horrible for you at a tough time. But good it sounds like you've found her a wonderful new home. flowers

GinBunny Sun 16-Oct-16 23:43:58

I've only had her 6 months and she was a terrified feral mess when I got her (rescue) but these past few weeks she has been such a comfort to me, she cuddles into me and has got me out of bed in the mornings. I am so so happy that this home has come up for her, it couldn't be better. She's going to have a wonderful life - better than she could have had if we hadn't split up and she had stayed here. I'm just going to miss my cuddle puss.

MrsJayy Sun 16-Oct-16 23:50:04

I saw your post on the who is up thread. what a shame you poor thing life is just shite sometimes <hug> , you know she will be looked after but still ... is she going soon ?

GinBunny Mon 17-Oct-16 00:10:25

My beautiful cuddle puss

GinBunny Mon 17-Oct-16 00:12:39

Mrs Jayy, not sure yet. They need to have a home check to make sure all is well which of course they are, but then need to arrange the practical arrangements of getting her from London to Yorkshire so guess I've got her for at least a couple more weeks.
I can't stop crying.

MrsJayy Mon 17-Oct-16 00:14:49

Aww she is lovely. is there no way you can stay in your house at all is your ex wanting to sell it ? Sorry if you think im being nosey

Purplehonesty Mon 17-Oct-16 00:16:31

You are being very brave by doing this and I'm glad she is going to have a fabulous life and lots of walks.
I'm sorry for you tho it must be very hard flowers

MsMims Mon 17-Oct-16 00:18:18

Is that the only place you can move to? Will the agents negotiate on the 1 dog limit? Would it be noticed if you took her anyway?

It sounds like giving her up will break your heart sad Looks like you're both a support to each other, never underestimate the emotional support of our pets. Also, it's traumatic for dogs to be repeatedly moved around, especially if they are rescues with unstable histories. I'm sorry if that's not helpful but it doesn't sound like you really want to do this.

Is she from a U.K. rescue as they would be better placed to rehome her, in fact most rescue centres have this as part of the adoption contract now.

gratesnakes Mon 17-Oct-16 00:23:05

You've done her a huge favour by rehabilitating her and now you've found her another great home. Shes been lucky to have you in her life. Ask them to keep you updated so you know she's happy.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Mon 17-Oct-16 00:23:05

I think you are being very brave and also very sensible. What an old fashioned word! But you are absolutely facing up to your situation and making the best out of it.

If it's any consolation, we got a rescue 2 months ago because of a similar kind if housing situation. We absolutely adore him, he's made our home a bajillion percent happier and I'm so thankful that his owners worked hard to find the right rescue who then worked hard to find the right new home for our boy.

It's of course highly likely that you are still reeling from the situation with STBXH, so be kind to yourself. flowers

GinBunny Mon 17-Oct-16 00:27:10

I can't afford to stay in the house, we have to sell it. No choice there unfortunately. The managing agents won't budge, one dog only - or they will take steps to evict me. But my dog doesn't deserve to be cooped up in a one bedroom flat anyway, she needs more space. My other dog is old and sleeps all day so it's fine for him, she's younger and needs more than I can offer her now I am on my own. She is from Romania and the rescue that I got her from is rehoming her. I don't want to do this, she trusts me and that is such a huge thing bearing in mind the state she was in when she came here. But the new family sound lovely and I am sure she will learn to trust them too. Long term it is better for her.

MrsJayy Mon 17-Oct-16 00:33:20

You are right it is best for her hopefully the re homing wont be to long you have had a helish time of it flowers

KoalaDownUnder Mon 17-Oct-16 00:44:47

You poor thing. That would break my heart, but you really do sound between a rock and a hard place. flowers

Unicornsandrainbows3 Mon 17-Oct-16 00:49:16

I had to do this too due to DV. It was heartbreaking (she too was a rescue) but I found her a wonderful home where she was very much loved. You are doing the right thing.

ErrolTheDragon Mon 17-Oct-16 11:58:19

I'm glad that you've been able to find a rental which will take your old boy though.

dannyglick Mon 17-Oct-16 15:08:00

Would it be an option to go for a different rental?
Dogs Trust advise on "lets with pets".
If not, Gin, I'm very sorry for you, but you obviously love your girl so much that you will put her well being first.
Hope things work out for you and your dogs.

GinBunny Mon 17-Oct-16 23:08:21

Thank you for all your kind messages. It's an awful awful situation, as if the break up wasn't bad enough on it's own!!
Just to clarify - I'm not moving into a rental, I'm moving into the flat that we used to live in but now rent out (ie we still have a mortgage on it so I am buying him out so to speak).
Anyway, the rehome has fallen through. I am sad for her but happy for me, for now...

ScattyHattie Tue 18-Oct-16 14:24:22

A little confused as if you part own the flat & are the current landlords why is it the managing agents decision on the dogs?

I think if your able to provide exercise & mental stimulation then the home size is less of an issue for a dog (people a different matter), but i realise that there maybe other reasons why you feel rehoming is the best option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now