Eye drops for conjunctivitis in dogs - can you use human ones?

(15 Posts)
HushisLush Thu 13-Oct-16 17:14:33

Hi there.

I've just paid £20 plus visit fee for ddog2 for drops for conjuctivitis. Both dogs quite often do get it, I wonder if it's because they are spaniels? I don't know if that's a trait. I recognise the signs, and the dog woke up with a gunky eye, rather than coming out of a bush with an injury to said eye.

That's quite a high price for a 'routine' irritation.

Can I use human drops? I completely understand if the answer is no! smile

hairypaws Thu 13-Oct-16 18:44:29

I have before and it cleared her eye up quickly. Just don't mention to chemist it's for a dog, first one refused as it wasn't licensed for pet use. I had to go to another chemist and pretend it was for my husband.

BedknobsandBullhooks Thu 13-Oct-16 18:46:00

My vet told me to use the human ones as they were essentially the same thing and a lot cheaper!

CalmItKermitt Thu 13-Oct-16 18:48:16

My dog is currently on eye drops for conjunctivitis. The vet said they're the same as human ones.

HushisLush Thu 13-Oct-16 18:51:19

Gah! Wished I had asked the question before I went to the vet this afternoon, saved myself a fair bit of dosh angry

Thank you for your replies, I'll note for the future.

Bubble2bubble Thu 13-Oct-16 19:03:42

Human Chloramphenicol ointment is possibly even better than drops as it stays in the eye for longer.
I gave also used Colloidial Silver spray very successfully on spanielly eyes & ears.

CalmItKermitt Thu 13-Oct-16 19:09:07

Chloramphenicol ointment is what my dog started on. However she hated having it put in so we swapped to the drops which she tolerates fine.

exLtEveDallas Thu 13-Oct-16 19:10:45

Golden Eye is great for dogs, I've always got a tube in the dog drawer.

HushisLush Thu 13-Oct-16 21:28:54

I like that you have a dog drawer Eve smile

Thanks, these suggestions are noted. I feel a touch ripped off tonight at £20 for a small tube of ointment. sad

FuzzyFairy Thu 13-Oct-16 22:16:17

Ddog won't let us put drops in his eye so I when he had it once I just made up some well dissolved salt water and soaked a piece of kitcehn roll the wiped his eyes from ear side to snout side. Cleared it up quite quickly and he was less distressed. Might be worth trying?

MrsBungle Thu 13-Oct-16 22:18:01

I did. I assumed if I could put them in my toddlers eye they would be ok in my hulking weimaranera eye, I did Google first. It cleared it up quickly and he was fine.

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Thu 13-Oct-16 22:18:55

Used Golden Eye on the horse.

Needastrongone Fri 14-Oct-16 13:42:13

It's Golden Eye from now on then. Or similar. Thanks guys. I usually am really chuffed with our vets, they are lovely and caring and easy to access, but £20 plus visit fee has pee'd me off a touch. I guess it could have been an injured eye though.

Darklane Fri 14-Oct-16 15:44:13

I've used Golden Eye ointment for years too. I usually wipe away the gunge with one of those flat, round lint pads (Aldi sell them cheaply) soaked in Optrex eye wash first.

Cherrysoup Fri 14-Oct-16 19:57:38

Chlorophenicol 1% in Golden eye crem, not drops-I think, also in Brolene and what the vet will start your dog on, so may as well go to the chemist. Works on me, dogs, horse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now